The Ice Breaker - PK Subban

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Hmm... cool, I didn't know the New Yorker did sports articles. It's refreshing to finally see a sports piece that is well-written for once after reading a lot of the other crap I've seen around. I went to high school around Rexdale, the same school as Malcolm Subban actually. My ex-girlfriend's brother also played hockey with PK when they were kids, so there's a bit of a connection there I guess haha.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Not everyone who's gonna read it and I can't blame them has it's quite a long read, but I'm really glad I did. Makes you realize how important a guy like him is to the game.

Also, I enjoyed the tidbit about Beliveau.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Subban’s phone buzzed with an incoming text message. “Sidney,” he said, shaking his head. “Probably telling me to take it easy on him.” He added, “I told him I’m taking him out to dinner when he comes to Montreal—before I slap him!”

Man it's impossible to hate this guy, he's hilarious :laugh:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Man it's impossible to hate this guy, he's hilarious :laugh:

Oh it's possible. Have him draw a couple calls with against you with his antics and you'll get there in no time :laugh:

But I love him too. He's just an A+ personality. Seems like a genuinely good guy too. But **** is he just the worst to play against

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Oh it's possible. Have him draw a couple calls with against you with his antics and you'll get there in no time :laugh:

But I love him too. He's just an A+ personality. Seems like a genuinely good guy too. But **** is he just the worst to play against

I should have said impossible to hate his personality lol.

If you're a habs fan then its impossible to hate him regardless of what he does on and off the ice. I know he's not really a 'steal' in rd 2, but man am I ever glad the habs snatched him up before it was too late

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
Interesting article and good read. Great insight into Subban and a nice spotlight on his personality. I've always liked the guy, and this article just makes me like him more.

The parts that made me roll my eyes though, were the parts that weren't about Subban.

Case in point:

[Crosby] is brilliant but largely unloved, in spite of his having led Team Canada to two consecutive Olympic gold medals. On the ice, he comes off as a bit of a whiner, someone who seems perpetually disappointed in the lesser efforts of his comrades and opponents.

Given the guy's popularity, I wouldn't have gone with "largely unloved", which I find fairly misleading.

The "bit of a whiner" bit is also annoying, since that reputation has mostly been left behind in the mainstream view (except for the haters) now that he's matured. It's lazy research/writing, but whatever, this isn't an article about Crosby, though it's annoying that newbies to hockey who read this article are getting some lazily researched/written first impression about the guy.

Another part that made me roll my eyes is the writer's attempts to describe hockey and hockey players as something completely out of the ordinary compared to other sports, with all the stuff about New Englanders or whoever else turning Canadian, and the bit about worshipping the names of small Canadian towns, etc., which came across as, for the lack of a better description, "trying too hard". I get it, it's The New Yorker, so it's not going to read like your run of the mill sports piece, but pretentious much?

Anyway, I didn't know The New Yorker ever wrote about something like hockey, so good for them, and great for Subban.

Thanks for sharing!

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
I should have said impossible to hate his personality lol.

If you're a habs fan then its impossible to hate him regardless of what he does on and off the ice. I know he's not really a 'steal' in rd 2, but man am I ever glad the habs snatched him up before it was too late

Oh he's quite the steal at 43rd IMO. 2007 was pretty packed with talent but if we had crystal ball he'd be top 5, right behind Kane, Shattenkirk, McDonagh and Pacioretty and TBH i'd take any of those 5 with my high first round pick.

As far as the article goes, it's long but it's a damned good read. The author tells it like it is for once: wether we like it or not the NHL is finally starting to catch up to the times.

I for one will be glad to be rid of the "good ol' boys club" mentality that has ruled the NHL since it's inception.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Oh he's quite the steal at 43rd IMO. 2007 was pretty packed with talent but if we had crystal ball he'd be top 5, right behind Kane, Shattenkirk, McDonagh and Pacioretty and TBH i'd take any of those 5 with my high first round pick.

As far as the article goes, it's long but it's a damned good read. The author tells it like it is for once: wether we like it or not the NHL is finally starting to catch up to the times.

I for one will be glad to be rid of the "good ol' boys club" mentality that has ruled the NHL since it's inception.
Subban is better than Pacioretty, Shattenkirk & McDonagh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad