The ice at the ACC

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I don't know where it ranks, but that puck is bouncing all over the place. It is hurting our skill guys and helping the opposition imo.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The ice was **** tonight. Pucks just glided off the players sticks without much provocation.

Like, wew.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Do we have the worst ice in the NHL? Crazy how bad it's been. I haven't noticed it in previous years but this year it seems awful.

Just me?

Barclays is the worst ice in the NHL seeing how they don't even have a properly made facility for ice.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
now the usually quiet Matthews complaining about the ice. They need to do something drastic about this in the offseason, our team is going to be a fast high skill team we cant have our ice not be conducive to that, for 41 games a year we should have a rink playing into our teams hands. Our ice would suit a team that is far more defensive than we will ever be

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Don't worry when the Leafs are playing hockey in May and June, the Raptors won't be.:)

Well, no, the Raptors wouldn't be playing hockey in May/June, that would be odd.

But yeah, the ice has been particularly terrible of late. I don't know how many times Matthews just straight up wiped out on the ice, but I counted at least 3 or 4 in the 2 periods + OT that I was able to watch last night.

It's not quite as bad as Barclays, but it isn't significantly better, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well, no, the Raptors wouldn't be playing hockey in May/June, that would be odd.

But yeah, the ice has been particularly terrible of late. I don't know how many times Matthews just straight up wiped out on the ice, but I counted at least 3 or 4 in the 2 periods + OT that I was able to watch last night.

It's not quite as bad as Barclays, but it isn't significantly better, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be.

they need to get the best hockey ice experts in the world on it. It is an absolute joke the leafs don't have top 5 ice in the league (I guess excluding hockey only arenas), it is not good for our high skill team

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
they need to get the best hockey ice experts in the world on it. It is an absolute joke the leafs don't have top 5 ice in the league (I guess excluding hockey only arenas), it is not good for our high skill team

Yeah. I know that it is a multi-purpose arena, being flipped several times a week for hockey, basketball and concerts, but there has to be something they can do to better the ice surface. I know it might impact total revenues, but just look down the street and you'll see that Rogers dug up cement in the Dome to create an all-dirt basepath to create a better environment for the players, even though it lessens the availability for shows during the Jays' season.

This isn't to say that I think MLSE is being cheap, because there has never been a time where they haven't spent on the Leafs (be it spending to the cap, bringing the Marlies to town, burying contracts, taking on contracts to facilitate trades, etc.). But now that it's becoming even more painfully obvious that the ice is sub-par, I do expect Shanny to look into improving the conditions, and I would be surprised if he hasn't already looked into it.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Don't worry when the Leafs are playing hockey in May and June, the Raptors won't be.:)

The Raptors haven't played at the ACC in 10 days and Toronto Rock hasn't used it in a week. That can't be an excuse for the ice to be as horrid as it was last night. Guys were just falling down. Pucks were bouncing all over the place.

The ice maintenance guys just aren't doing a good enough job. Now perhaps the weather outside had an impact on ice quality, but with several days advanced warning you'd hope that they'd be able to compensate.

Also, maybe it's time to move the Rock. Their average attendance is around 10K - Ricoh can handle that. Or maybe try them in Hamilton for a year, First Ontario Centre can seat 19K, and there's less competition for the entertainment dollar there. Bud Gardens out in London is another option.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The Raptors haven't played at the ACC in 10 days and Toronto Rock hasn't used it in a week. That can't be an excuse for the ice to be as horrid as it was last night. Guys were just falling down. Pucks were bouncing all over the place.

The ice maintenance guys just aren't doing a good enough job. Now perhaps the weather outside had an impact on ice quality, but with several days advanced warning you'd hope that they'd be able to compensate.

Also, maybe it's time to move the Rock. Their average attendance is around 10K - Ricoh can handle that. Or maybe try them in Hamilton for a year, First Ontario Centre can seat 19K, and there's less competition for the entertainment dollar there. Bud Gardens out in London is another option.

I would love to move everything except the leafs and concerts in the summer. I'm in the minority because I don't really care for basketball and I know it was really the raptors arena first

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Barclays easily takes the cake when it comes to the worst ice in an NHL arena, the ACC has been lacking substantially as of late. Ya done messed up, A-A-Ron.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Sorry bud, didn't see.

Frustrating to watch tonight. Pretty crazy considering the money we pull in we can't have proper ice

No worries at all, I'm sure mine was a second pager or more back. Just thought it funny. Cheers :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad