The hype machine around Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEli*

pei fan said:
I find it quite ironic that people on this board are saying that Cosby is going to be
a great player.Last year if someone mentioned it here he would be raked over the coals.IMO,Sidney has had a very disappointing year although there are some
circumstances beyond his control .Things may turn around yet but so far it's
really pretty dismal compared to what he did last year.

Why did your parents procreate?! Honestly.

Crosby's got 68 points in 32 games. So he's just over a couple of points a game. How dismal is that compared to last year? A measly .16 ppg lower. Take the injuries into account and the fact that junior players take their real leaps and strides in their third year...and you have no argument at all.

Things don't need to turn around. They don't even really need to pick up. He's playing just as well as he did last year on a team that's underachieving to the max.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
PEli said:

Crosby's got 68 points in 32 games. So he's just over a couple of points a game. How dismal is that compared to last year? A measly .16 ppg lower. Take the injuries into account and the fact that junior players take their real leaps and strides in their third year...and you have no argument at all.

Things don't need to turn around. They don't even really need to pick up. He's playing just as well as he did last year on a team that's underachieving to the max.

If anything, I'd say he's played better.

In the times I've seen him, his defensive and overall game has improved significantly from last year. You can definitely tell that he's working on those aspects of his game in order to become more ready for the NHL. He's backchecking more, he's becoming more physically involved and his overall effort level has increased.

PEli*

Brock said:
If anything, I'd say he's played better.

In the times I've seen him, his defensive and overall game has improved significantly from last year. You can definitely tell that he's working on those aspects of his game in order to become more ready for the NHL. He's backchecking more, he's becoming more physically involved and his overall effort level has increased.

Well he's in the perfect situation to learn how to play defense. None of his teammates know how to do it. So in order to win, he'll have to lead by example.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
PEli said:

Hey Buddy what's your problem.I'm not knocking Crosby- all I'm saying is that I'm
surprised that so many people are onside now.Last year there was nothing
but "the next Daigle".As I said there are circumstances beyond his control this
year but if you compare to what he did last year-Lead a last place team(11 wins)
to a division title, broke several records as a 16 year old and as a rookie then
this year just doesn't compare.I disagree that he's playing better d right now.
ANYWAY I bet you don't even know the biggest change in Crosby's game right now.
Do you?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Find me five reputable sources from last year that proclaim Crosby would bust like Daigle at the NHL level.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Mr Bugg said:
Find me five reputable sources from last year that proclaim Crosby would bust like Daigle at the NHL level.
I didn't say reputable ,I was referring to this board and there were plenty of them.
This year there seems to be more concensus (that he is very good)and less
backlash when someone posts about him, yet it was last year that he was breaking
records and really having a more spectacular year.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
for what it is worth, and to return to the topic, Crosby has had a very well organized and managed hype machine in place for years, augmented as he got older by early arrangements with IMG and others. All of this parallels Lindros, but I think that you have to credit everyone concerned in marketing Crosby, including the kid himself, but controlling the process and keeping their eyes on the ball. As he starts to sign the major endorsements deals that TSN and others are talking about, we may be seeing something major - the manufacturing of the next superstar before he ever steps on the ice - regardless of his play. The business side of the game has changed so much that the rules of the past just don't apply.

In marketing, for his age and stage, Crosby is in a league by himself. There has NEVER been a player in this position before.

And we will all find out eventually whether the potential is realized or not.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I wish there were some people on here who can point out a part of Crosby's game that isn't amazing. They can't because half of these doubters never seen him play or have so much of a hard on for Brule or Johnson that their mind works in biast ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad