Pre-Game Talk: The HOTY Award

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Welcome to the HOTY award (Hypeman of the Year)!
I just came up with this idea for a game that we can play:

It involves creating a pregame thread. I thought of this because I realized I'm the only one who makes pregame threads :laugh: I'm all jacked up and ready to talk about the next game, I'm excited. :yo:

Everyone takes turns creating a pregame thread. Someone can still make a Gameday thread on Gameday, but the pregame thread is for the day before. Every day before game day, the person whose turn it is, they're to make a pregame thread no earlier than 24 hours before the game.
    • Example, usually home games are at 7 p.m. EST., therefore the pregame thread can be made anytime after 7 p.m. the day before.
  • If the following game is the second of a back-to-back, then the pregame thread is to be made the day of the the game. That pregame thread well then be kept for the game day thread.
Points will be tracked on the results of the game that you make a pregame thread for. It will be using the same point system as the NHL: two for a win, one for a overtime/shootout loss, none for regulation defeat.

To qualify to be the champion at the end of the regular season, you have to have created minimum of three games.
  • Let me know if 3 too many. Maybe it should be 2, not sure how many people are interested.
People will be assigned certain games depending on how many people sign up, I'm thinking either a total of 8 or 10 (myself included.)
  • Deadline for the sign-up will be March 5th. After that date I will need to know how many people will be playing this game, in order to assign an equal amount of games. There are 40 games remaining, so the number of participants has to be able to divide into 40 equally.
    • If there is eight people, then everyone will get five games.
    • If there is 10 people, then everyone will get four games.
So all we will need now is participants, either 7 or 9 more. Until March 5th, sign up has to stay ahead of the amount of games. Someone will need to sign up before Wednesday, another person before Thursday, so on and so forth until we reach either 7 or 9 other individuals. I will then divide the games up after evenly. It is the participants responsibility to post a pregame thread that they are assigned to.

Saying that, let me know if there's interest in participating in this game. I will go first and create a pre game thread for the Dallas game.

Might create some extra excitement around here, seeing as there might be something special going on this season!

:panthers

:party:

Last edited:
Reactions: CHGoalie27

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
For example, if there was 8 people total, my 5 games would be:

1. Feb 22nd vs Dallas - W 3-1
  2. March 9th at Columbus
  3. March 23rd at Chicago
  4. April 6 at Carolina
  5. April 22nd versus Carolina

Last edited:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Now don't all sign up at once. I'll make a list here and then add names when people commit. Very simple game to play. You just have to create a pre game thread. You can put as much or as little effort into it as you want (of course the more effort put into it surely guarantes you a win. :sarcasm:) let's try and get seven other users signed up here.

I don't know about you, but I sure want to be the 2021 Hoty of the year!

1. Cold Cat - 2 pts

Last edited:

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I remember way back in the day we rotated pregame threads around. I even did a few of them. Oftentimes tons of effort went into them with stats, lineups, transactions, graphics, etc but eventually with the ubiquity of information on the internet they kind of became unnecessary. Frankly all I need out of a GDT is "these teams are playing tonight - here's something interesting you might have missed." Other than that I can Google stats and rosters and lineups.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Perhaps something more conducive would be a weekly Monday/Sunday thread outlining in-depth details about the upcoming games for the week and then keeping it kind of simple for the actual game day thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad