The Hockey Noob Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, absolutely, I can only be out there for about 7-10mins at a time before my feet are numb and my legs get weak. The feet thing in particular has me seeing no light at the end of the tunnel... You think there would be significant improvement in this regard in particular? Because if not, I really don't know what to do. :/

Do your skates actually fit?

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Do your skates actually fit?

Yeah, as far as I can tell they fit reasonably decent. Its hit and miss whether I get a good lace-up or not, but when I do it's relatively pain-free and with decent control for the first few minutes, and then after a bit the pain gets bad and then if I stay on my feet go numb and I can't control the skates. I figure my legs getting weak would see an improvement with fitness improvement but I don't know about the feet issue, which has not improved at all in two years and isn't letting me move forward as it totally interrupts anything I might be trying to work on.

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
Yeah, as far as I can tell they fit reasonably decent. Its hit and miss whether I get a good lace-up or not, but when I do it's relatively pain-free and with decent control for the first few minutes, and then after a bit the pain gets bad and then if I stay on my feet go numb and I can't control the skates. I figure my legs getting weak would see an improvement with fitness improvement but I don't know about the feet issue, which has not improved at all in two years and isn't letting me move forward as it totally interrupts anything I might be trying to work on.

It sounds like your skates are too small. I ski a bunch and bought a pair of ill fiiting boots online *sound of $250 going down the drain*. Very similar symptoms as yours. The skate is cutting off circulation. I would rent a few pairs of skates at an open skate and see if they are more comfortable

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012

It should be completely pain free for way more than a few minutes. I can skate for 2+ hours without any foot discomfort. I think the fit of your skates is the issue here.

How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I agree, your skates are probably too small.

When I was doing speedskating, my skates were size 39. They were snug but never caused any foot pain. I could skate as long as I wanted without any pain at all.

After a pregnancy I tried skating again. The skates still 'fit' but they were tighter around the toes and ball of the foot than they had been before. I could skate maybe 10 minutes before my feet would cramp up and the front half of my foot was in sheer agony.

When I went to get fitted for hockey skates a few weeks ago, I tried a 40 and it was just a little too tight. I ended up with a 41 (size 6.5) and they fit very nicely. No pain at all, I've skated for almost 3 hours on them and never had even the slightest bit of foot pain.

So I would try a larger skate, maybe even just a rental to see if it works better for you. If so, that's the culprit.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Thanks, everyone, for the input!!! I will definitely try a few sizes of rental skates next time (kind of a yay, won't need to haul my skates around transit for the next few times I go lol), we'll see what happens!

As for them being on the smaller side, I'm not too sure about that, as I have plenty of room around the toes. Also, the pain isn't around the ball of my feet but around the middle section, kind of enveloping it.

As for weight, I'm at 93kg while only 5'4. You see why I thought that might help? Lol

Ksyrium

Apr 8, 2010
NH
maybe you need a footbed with some arch support? do you wear orthotics in your everyday shoes or anything?

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Thanks, everyone, for the input!!! I will definitely try a few sizes of rental skates next time (kind of a yay, won't need to haul my skates around transit for the next few times I go lol), we'll see what happens!

As for them being on the smaller side, I'm not too sure about that, as I have plenty of room around the toes. Also, the pain isn't around the ball of my feet but around the middle section, kind of enveloping it.

As for weight, I'm at 93kg while only 5'4. You see why I thought that might help? Lol

There are MANY dimensions to skate fitting. For example, I tried on a pair of Vapor X7s during my most recent skate fitting. Good fit front to back, comfortable heel lock, but my instep was being crushed to pieces. Not every skate fits every foot. It could fit perfectly front to back but that doesn't mean it's a good all around fit. I recommend finding a place with a good reputation for service (shouldn't be that hard to find in Vancouver) and take some time with an experienced fitter. My last skate purchase took over an hour. Don't be afraid to try on many pairs (I put on 3 or 4) and be honest with the fitter about what they feel like and what you don't like about them.

theFinn

Mar 9, 2012
This is definatly an issue I can relate to!

Beyond just a fit issue (which it could definatly be, check on that) it could also be a conditioning issue. I outweigh you be about 100lbs and I can easily skate an hour without any foot pain (after the first 10 mins the muscles in my feet stop protesting and go with the flow) or numbness. However, I think that stems from the fact that I also do a lot of running. As part of a weight loss regimen I started running and when I started that I used to get a lot of numbness in my feet. Over time, with conditioning and added strength, that went away.

Perhaps try doing some jogging (look up the couch to 5k program), it's a great way to lose weight and build up leg strength and I feel it translated into helping me be a better skater.

CPAir

Jul 31, 2011
Niagara Region
This is definatly an issue I can relate to!

Perhaps try doing some jogging (look up the couch to 5k program), it's a great way to lose weight and build up leg strength and I feel it translated into helping me be a better skater.

This is a really good suggestion.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hockeymass, all good points I will take into consideration, but before I go to a store fitting (Cyclone Taylor and/or The Hockey Shop should do) I think I should give rental skates a few test drives. It'll be good to try different sizes and brands at no commitment and actually on the ice.

TheFinn, your experience gives me a little bit of hope. Yeah, I jogged the local high school track once and my feet would go numb, the only thing is that it was a different kind of numb - this one's like a 'so much pain it goes numb' kind of thing lol. Also, thanks for the suggestion of the couch to 5k program; I do have to admit that I've always been a little weary of running because of the supposed effect on your knees. With my hopes of eventually switching to goalie on ice, I don't want to blow out a knee! But maybe it's worth the risk. I don't mind the elliptical machines at the gymn, though, if I can drag myself out there that would be better I think.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Hockeymass, all good points I will take into consideration, but before I go to a store fitting (Cyclone Taylor and/or The Hockey Shop should do) I think I should give rental skates a few test drives. It'll be good to try different sizes and brands at no commitment and actually on the ice.

TheFinn, your experience gives me a little bit of hope. Yeah, I jogged the local high school track once and my feet would go numb, the only thing is that it was a different kind of numb - this one's like a 'so much pain it goes numb' kind of thing lol. Also, thanks for the suggestion of the couch to 5k program; I do have to admit that I've always been a little weary of running because of the supposed effect on your knees. With my hopes of eventually switching to goalie on ice, I don't want to blow out a knee! But maybe it's worth the risk. I don't mind the elliptical machines at the gymn, though, if I can drag myself out there that would be better I think.

Just understand that rental skates are usually pretty crappy and you may run into the same situation where they fit front to back but not all around.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
OK, good point... Well, at least it'll give me something to start with? I will for sure go to the store after a few tries on the rentals.

It certainly can't hurt, I just don't want you to try the rentals, be like "nope these hurt too" and dismiss skate fitting as the problem. I am pretty confident that that is your main issue. Also, if and when you get new skates, consider getting good insoles for them. Most stock insoles are little more than soft foam and really don't provide support for your feet. I have high arches and the soles of my feet would get fatigued after a long skate. I recently upgraded from the stock CCM footbeds to Superfeet Yellow (much more rigid heel cup and arches) and just can't say enough about how good they feel.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Don't worry, I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

And I do have insoles in my current skates, and got them early on, which made a world of a difference from how it was at the beginning... They're the yellow hockey ones, I forget who makes them (edit: sorry, I'm stupid, they're the ones you were talking about). If/when I get new skates, should I get new insoles or use the ones I have?

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Don't worry, I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

And I do have insoles in my current skates, and got them early on, which made a world of a difference from how it was at the beginning... They're the yellow hockey ones, I forget who makes them. If/when I get new skates, should I get new insoles or use the ones I have?

Those are probably the Superfeet I'm talking about. They're great, I agree. Whether or not you need new ones depends on the skates you end up getting. It's possible that the ones you have will fit in your new skates after having been trimmed to fit your old skates. If they end up being too small for the new skates, you might need to get new ones.

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
Yes, the one in the video - I just can't get any speed going when I move backwards, and especially my left foot, I have a very hard time making it at all smooth or doing it consistently.

I notice that on my right foot, it's much easier and more natural. On my left, it feels like I'm really digging into the ice and it's very "crunchy" - I can hear the crunch as I push, while I can't hear it at all on the right foot.

Hmm, I can't see you skate, but I can tell you about my experience. I found it much easier to do the backwards c-cut on my left foot compared to my right foot (opposite of you). My right groin is tight and not very flexible compared to the left, so I had a harder time turning my right foot in, to do the c-cut. You want the foot to be perpendicular to your body before you do the c-cut. Maybe that would help?

The other thing is that you really have to sit back (push your body weight backwards) and get low. I thought that I was good at bending my knees while skating, but I discovered I was wrong, at least for backwards skating. I could get much lower than I thought. There's a Robby Glantz video where it's shown that a teenage boy can get so low that his head is practically beneath the boards.

When my knees were super bent, my body low, my body weight pushed back -- then while doing the one-legged backwards c-cuts, I was going so fast that I had to be careful not to bulldoze people. If my body is in the proper position, I find that the c-cuts happen almost automatically because the inside edge of your skate just follows your body weight.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I have a friend who wants to play ice goalie. He's trying to look for a whole set for as cheap as possible, preferably $1,000 or under. Was wondering if anyone had experience buying goalie gears and think that's doable? He's willing to buy second hand gears (shin pads in particular).

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
I have a friend who wants to play ice goalie. He's trying to look for a whole set for as cheap as possible, preferably $1,000 or under. Was wondering if anyone had experience buying goalie gears and think that's doable? He's willing to buy second hand gears (shin pads in particular).

I'm going through this experience and it would be hard to put together a set for under $1K that I would feel safe in. My final cost is going to be about ~$1,5K. The most expensive pieces are the leg pads and helmet. I was lucky enough to find a good set of leg pads for only $80, but I'm hesitant to buy a used helmet. I like my brain. Based on my recent experience I think you could put together a set for about a thousand. Craigslist is good, so is Play it Again Sports. I had some sets of pads/catcher/blocker that I looked at for a reasonable price.

Helmet - New - $250
Throat Shield - New - $30
Neck Guard - New - $30
Chest/Arm Protector - Used - $100
Blocker - Used - $75
Catcher - Used - $75
Goalie Pants - Used - $75
Goalie Jock - New - $100 (Ain't kidding, I'm getting the reebok full length one that doubles as pants. I want kids in the future, plus if you couldn't trust your goalie jock, you ain't going to butterfly fast)
Goalie Skates - New - $230
Leg Pads - Used - $80
Goalie Stick - Used - $30?

In other news my copy of Hockey Goaltending by Brian Daccord arrived today. I think the foreward should start as, "So you want to be a goalie, eh?"

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I'm going through this experience and it would be hard to put together a set for under $1K that I would feel safe in. My final cost is going to be about ~$1,5K. The most expensive pieces are the leg pads and helmet. I was lucky enough to find a good set of leg pads for only $80, but I'm hesitant to buy a used helmet. I like my brain. Based on my recent experience I think you could put together a set for about a thousand. Craigslist is good, so is Play it Again Sports. I had some sets of pads/catcher/blocker that I looked at for a reasonable price.

Helmet - New - $250
Throat Shield - New - $30
Neck Guard - New - $30
Chest/Arm Protector - Used - $100
Blocker - Used - $75
Catcher - Used - $75
Goalie Pants - Used - $75
Goalie Jock - New - $100 (Ain't kidding, I'm getting the reebok full length one that doubles as pants. I want kids in the future, plus if you couldn't trust your goalie jock, you ain't going to butterfly fast)
Goalie Skates - New - $230
Leg Pads - Used - $80
Goalie Stick - Used - $30?

In other news my copy of Hockey Goaltending by Brian Daccord arrived today. I think the foreward should start as, "So you want to be a goalie, eh?"

Thanks, I'll send this to my friend.

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
No problem. I'll chronicle my goalie journey on this thread. I was really surprised at the quality difference between the bottom rung of gear and one step up.

I originally thought I would get the $100 bauer chest/arm protector, but when I felt and looked at the difference between the $200 bauer chest protector and the reebok 9k I was like, yeah the $100 would work in the instructional leagues, but it isn't going to provide the protection I need later on.

I've almost had my clavicle broken a few times in karate in college and I'll spend the extra money to keep me safe.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Ganave, I'm glad to hear you'll be chronicling your journey on here. Please be thorough!!! Lol it'll be nice to have for when I make the switch once I'm ready

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I played a lot of roller and street hockey when I was a kid through high school. I took 5-6 years off completely before I decide to try ice hockey.

Great skater on roller blades. After one free skate, I felt ready for stick time. First slapper I took, I missed and fell over. First pickup, I fell getting a puck with no pressure.

Two years later, night and day. Skating is light years ahead once I understood how to feel edges and I am one of the better skaters on my beer league team.

Keep at it bc if you want it bad enough, it will happen.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Also, ALWAYS get skates fitted and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are a constant learner, your teammates and upper leagues will offer you a lot.

Forums: Ask forums too bc you will get solid answers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad