Beginners: The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I've been playing now for 8 weeks and I can say I've gotten decidedly better.

I feel comfortable on my skates - still not great at certain things (backwards, fast stops, that sort of thing) but I don't really think about the skating part of thing when I'm playing a game. I just go. One of my teammates noticed that I'm getting faster.

I can now shoot the puck and have it go pretty much where I intend it to go. It's not fast and it may not be pretty - but it ends up at least close to the net, if not in it (so long as nobody is goaltending, that is!).

I can skate with the puck and not have it go everywhere but where I intend it. The first time I played, I really felt that there must be a magnet in the stick and another in the puck, repelling one another.

I've made a couple of goals and gotten a couple of assists. Even though the goals have never been the pretty ones you imagine - just ugly little tip-ins where I was in the right place and had the opportunity - they still show up on the scoreboard and it's still a pretty good feeling.

I've been playing with my D-league on Sundays and a women's drop-in on Thursdays. I don't feel lost on the ice anymore, like I'm never where I'm supposed to be. The first couple of games I felt like I was a hindrance to my team, now I don't feel that so much. And at my women's game this week, I felt that I actually contributed, I worked well with my line and was able to get the puck from the boards a few times, grab a few turnovers, and block a shot from going in our net.

I'm sad that I'll be missing the last game for my D-league team today. I'm not the only one - a bunch of us will be at the Coyotes game tonight, so it's a good excuse to miss the game.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
So I've been having a serious mental block trying stop with my right foot forward. I havent been able get comfortable turning my body that direction. Decided to try and just sell out going for it, which ended up with me going face first into the ice. Fat lip, black eye, swollen cheek, the whole thing.
Sharks ice 1 - Me 0

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
So I've been having a serious mental block trying stop with my right foot forward. I havent been able get comfortable turning my body that direction. Decided to try and just sell out going for it, which ended up with me going face first into the ice. Fat lip, black eye, swollen cheek, the whole thing.
Sharks ice 1 - Me 0

Do you practice your skating with some gear on? I've been playing for a while and even at public skate, I always wear shinpads and elbowpads. This is because once, I did a hockey stop next to the boards, lost an edge, and slammed my knee into the boards. I wasn't able to stand up and had to be driven to the doctor.

Be careful out there!

For the hockey stop, try practicing pivoting on your skates while standing in place, in particular the bad side (right foot forward). Make sure you are standing with your skates in a neutral position, not digging in with your inside or outside edge.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Yeah I've always got shins, elbows, and gloves. Somehow I managed to land actual face first. I waited until there were only 3 or 4 other people on the ice before i went for it (so i could stay away from the boards, and if i did happen to fall, didn't accidentally run into someone)

Thanks for the tips, for whatever reason i just can't get myself to turn. Oh well, just means i need to get back out there and practice more.

Last edited:

theFinn

Mar 9, 2012
I've got the same problem, on the same foot. The way my noob class coach taught it was to get up some speed, coast, do a full snowplow then twist the hips. If you're having trouble just hold the snowplow slightly longer to gain a little more balance. It seems to work, I still can't do it 100% but I'm getting better.

I can do a great hockey stop with my other foot leading, it's so strange that the same motion is so hard with the opposite foot.

Good luck.

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
I chose goalie because I like that the puck stops with me.

Not sure how to describe why I want to play goal, but I like the pressure of the position. I guess it would be what a starting pitcher feels. I used to play catcher and I liked being involved in every pitch.

It's weird. I play goalie in soccer, but somehow, goalie in hockey just isn't as alluring.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Don't get discouraged if you can only stop on one side. It can take a while to overcome that dominant side bias.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Month 8 for me and I can do a full hockey stop with my right foot leading, and a one foot stop with my left foot inside edge only. Still can't seem to do a full two foot stop with my left side. My right skates outside edge is still pretty bad.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
ganave - so jealous!! Haha but seriously that all looks great, and it's pretty obvious you can't wait to get out there and use it!! May the velcro be with you :p

So I've hit a giant snag in the road. I'm being transferred to South America where the only ice available to me is in a shopping mall and is too small for people to play hockey on... Sigh :( No goalie adventures til I get back for real in a year or two. Well at least I can still skate every now and then but those babies are gonna take a lot of space in my luggage. I hear this place is a university town, so they might be up for some street hockey... One can only hope.

Edit: A little thought popped up in my head. How hard is it to play goalie in soccer? Harder to pick up than hockey? And would it help my hockey skills enough to be worth the bother? Because if I'm going to the land of 'futbol'....

Last edited:

SiberianBull

Apr 27, 2012
Month 8 for me and I can do a full hockey stop with my right foot leading, and a one foot stop with my left foot inside edge only. Still can't seem to do a full two foot stop with my left side. My right skates outside edge is still pretty bad.

Exactly where I am at... here is to more practicing tonight! $4 public skating FTW in about 5hrs :handclap:

SiberianBull

Apr 27, 2012
...I was petrified by how unfamiliar it was and i loved how nervous I was. It's really refreshing to put myself in an uncomfortable athletic situation, especially one that requires so much skill. Here's to hoping I see some improvement.

so much this.

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
I usually do stick and puck on sunday mornings (either kingsgate or castle) and have my lesson. Let me know if you ever want to join me and I can help you learn! See you around the rink, and welcome!

how is the kingsgate sticknpuck? is it busy? i went to Everett a couple of times. the ice is great, but way too many kids.

SiberianBull

Apr 27, 2012
Disagree, not a nice feeling... Now where is that laughing emoticon? Lol

hahaha - I am still fascinated by skates... I am that guy looking at skates in shops/HM when I have a perfectly fine pair of skates. I get excited when a new shipment arrives from HM even if it's something as mundane as some hockey tape :nod:

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Oh I loooove looking at pictures of shiny new gear. But I absolutely dread having to go into the LHS when I need something, it's always a production... Ugh... Haha I think it's an issue of people skills!!

To use your example, even getting something like hockey tape stresses me out.... Lol

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
how is the kingsgate sticknpuck? is it busy? i went to Everett a couple of times. the ice is great, but way too many kids.

It wasnt busy at KG this past sunday (mothers day). Me, a couple of coaches, a few kids and dads. Got to play my tunes over the loudspeaker. :)

The schedule changes all the time so make sure to check the daily calendar before you come out. I'm usually the only girl out there and I'm wearing the green vancouver practice jersey. :)

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York

Dude same thing with me, and I've been skating for a year and a couple of months. I "can" stop with both feet left foot forward, but my right foot's outside edge doesn't slide as gracefully as it should. It kind of like vibrates or bounces? I don't know how to put it.. but it's not as smooth as my left foot is when I'm stopping with my right foot forward. I suppose this is just getting more weight on that outside edge of the back foot.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Dude same thing with me, and I've been skating for a year and a couple of months. I "can" stop with both feet left foot forward, but my right foot's outside edge doesn't slide as gracefully as it should. It kind of like vibrates or bounces? I don't know how to put it.. but it's not as smooth as my left foot is when I'm stopping with my right foot forward. I suppose this is just getting more weight on that outside edge of the back foot.

My right side is fine, I can do right inside edge plus left outside edge. Trouble is with left inside edge plus right outside edge.

My right foot isn't accustomed to doing that type of turn yet because I haven't really forced myself to do so. Same goes for my hip. I can turn my hips left for a right side stop, but turning right for a left stop is... Awkward.

Now I've reached a stage where I don't really force myself to get out of my comfort zone as often as I'd like. I still need to work on my backward crossovers, backward skating and left side two foot hockey stop.

I'll start moving to the more advanced skating workouts after I'm comfortable with doing those - though I already kinda started on a few.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

23 years later and I still struggle with this! Lol

Mind you I only played about 7 years out of that time.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
23 years later and I still struggle with this! Lol

Mind you I only played about 7 years out of that time.

Seems like most players can get away with doing a 2 foot stop on one side plus any method of stopping on the other side (most commonly a one foot stop on the weak side).

I'm trying to do both sides because aside from being able to stop quicker, I can pivot faster as well.

phillyt45

May 11, 2012
Mukilteo, WA

Have you ever been to Stick n Puck in Lynnwood? That's the closest rink to me so I will be checking it out soon. Unfortunately, they don't have them on the weekend, but their weekday ones are afternoon, which is nice.

SiberianBull

Apr 27, 2012
Do any of you guys take skating-speciifc lessons by any chance? I have never had one, but seems like a good idea to get a second set of eyes to look at my technique and tell me stuff to work on.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Yes, lessons have helped me for sure, especially with technique. But like I've said before, be very discriminating- some programs are great, whereas some are totally useless. It's all about the instructor. You'll know the first class, if they're not giving you real feedback or detailed technique instructions the first day, dump them and find another program because it'll be a waste of time/money otherwise. Yes I am a disgruntled 'student' lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->