Beginners: The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Awesome, I went with a 77 flex so I it is a bit easier for me to flex. I am just hoping to get out and play and not be a huge detriment to my team.... only a minor inconvenience.

Like Wilch said, work on skating. It's the most important aspect imo.

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
Pickup

After two and a half eight-week Learn to Play and Be a Player clinics at the Toyota Sports Center, I was invited by a fellow classmate to a pickup game during the second hour of a Copper/Bronze team Practice for pickup at the Ducks Rinks at Lakewood Ice. It had novice, copper, bronze and even an elite player or two. Got 4 on 4 with two lines for an hour. It was so fun! It was my first time hopping over the boards and doing line changes and shifts. I even got a goal off a point blank one-timer via a feed from my LTP coach from behind the net. I kept my shifts short and tried to keep my feet moving, in good position and always facing the puck. Anyone with doubts about pickup or a league, just get out there and do it! :yo:

GetchaGrubbOn

Apr 10, 2014
Albany, NY
I'm 27, been a huge hockey fan my whole life but living in VA it was hard to find ice, leagues, quality hockey shops. Recently moved to New York where hockey is way more accessible. So I'm starting up! Played a lot of street hockey growing up so I've already found that much of the skating technique is transferrable. Just got my first stick, gloves, and helmet this week and am taking them out on the ice tomorrow. Hope to work my way into some pick-up games soon and eventually get my beer league on.

Any brilliant words of wisdom as I fire up what I hope to be a life-long hobby?

How did you determine what position you ended up playing? Just tinker around at each spot and see what felt most comfortable? I'm not a big guy. 5'8", 165, pretty strong and athletic. Thinking D is not really a solid option for me, but I could be wrong?

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
How did you determine what position you ended up playing? Just tinker around at each spot and see what felt most comfortable? I'm not a big guy. 5'8", 165, pretty strong and athletic. Thinking D is not really a solid option for me, but I could be wrong?

You don't need to be big to play D. If you have good ice vision, enjoy quarterbacking plays, got good understanding of sick use and body position, D would be suitable. You get a lot less rushing chances, so if you're a more pass the puck to me and I'll take it to the O zone kind of player, then be a winger. If don't enjoy playing D, but still hustles rushing up and getting back, then play center.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
If you're playing in pickup or a low-level league, be prepared to play both. I'm far more O-minded but have had to play D for about half of our season because nobody on my team really wants to play it. You may also have to do it because of injuries in any team.

This isn't all bad as you get to pick up both O and D skills, which have definitely helped my overall game. But yeah - just be prepared for the fact that a lot of people want to play O, so you might not be able to all the time.

GetchaGrubbOn

Apr 10, 2014
Albany, NY
I'm not opposed to defense. I played pretty competitive soccer for most of my teen years and played defense, actually preferred it. I just don't want to be a permanent liability, haha. Thanks for the advice. I'll just get out there and see what happens.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I'm not opposed to defense. I played pretty competitive soccer for most of my teen years and played defense, actually preferred it. I just don't want to be a permanent liability, haha. Thanks for the advice. I'll just get out there and see what happens.

For whatever reason, whether its beer league or open, the noobs seem to want to play D (or they get put there) even though half the time they are unable to skate backwards, have poor transitions, poor technique, etc. :shakehead

A team's best skaters should be playing defense, but it seems the noobs lack the confidence to play up because they think offense is all dangling and slick moves.

Offense is keeping your head up, not skating in straight lines, being aware of who is around you at all times, keeping your stick on the ice and being ready for a pass at any time, being able to saucer/flat/touch pass when the situation calls for it, etc., not necessarily who is the best toe dragger.

The key is finding a few talented players and literally stealing their moves of what you think you can apply to realistically fit into your game. I saw someone the past 2 years at opens who played in college and while they were not super fast or skilled, could cut on a dime and no one could stop; she just zig-zags around them. Another player brought a gopro camera and taped an open with her, which I've studied at length and modeled my skating after.

I have intensively worked on being able to take VERY sharp turns (see the video link below) and can skate right around many of the forechecking forwards and d-men I face by being able to cut sharply. I've also worked on lifting the puck delicately over a player's stick blade if they are sweeping theirs in front of me, all little things that don't require a lot of skill - just time worked. I knew I'd never be a good toe dragger and am too old and slow to be able to whip the puck side-to-side, so I worked on other avenues of creating space and time to be able to take a shot or pass.

This is what I am referring to, but with the puck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXtbjaAZdY

If you can master this, then you will be able to find a lot of success as a forward, weaving your way in and around defenders unable to cross over backwards to keep up with you.

Last edited:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I was and think a lot of people are the opposite, starting out you might bomb some chances playing forward, but your mistakes are far more noticeable playing defence if you get burned and give up goals, scoring chances or shots.

I prefer to play up front in terms of my style, but am happy playing defence. I'm comfortable and pretty competent skating backwards and passing the puck, plus there's generally more ice time at the rear.

I'd have thought most teams wouldn't want anyone playing defence that can't skate backwards or handle the puck, let alone having guys that can't who are putting their hand up to play there.

bshodokai

Jun 6, 2014
I've been meaning to get into somethign I enjoy to try and lose some weight, been a hockey fan for years and figure it might be the right thing to get into, I played a bunch of roller hockey as a teen, but haven't skated in probably 7 or 8 years. Been reading through this thread and its given me somewhat of a spark to jump into.

Anyone in the Utah (specifically provo/orem) area know where a good place to skate has a decent program?

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Last night, in my 3rd game ever, I scored my first goal in hockey at the ripe age of 48. It was a dirty rebound 2 feet from the net but whatever. For a very brief second I felt like I wasn't completely lost out there! There wasn't quite the fanfare I was expecting, no one retrieved the puck for me but I got a knucklebump at the bench and my 6 year old thinks I'm awesome.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Last night, in my 3rd game ever, I scored my first goal in hockey at the ripe age of 48. It was a dirty rebound 2 feet from the net but whatever. For a very brief second I felt like I wasn't completely lost out there! There wasn't quite the fanfare I was expecting, no one retrieved the puck for me but I got a knucklebump at the bench and my 6 year old thinks I'm awesome.

That is awesome. Good for you!

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
I just signed up for my first ever league. I started skating about 4 months ago and recently participated in a 3 week learn to play program. After a short scrimmage in the program, I decided I'm really hooked onto hockey.

I'm definitely excited for the season to begin!

My forward skating is pretty decent I think for rookie level play. Backwards is doable, but I'm not sure about a game situation. I've been heavily working on transitions at the last few public skates. I can do the cheater method of dragging my blades, but I can't get my head around the mohawk step (or heel-to-heel) transition. I try to open up my hips, but I can only get my skates at a 90 degree angle, not a 180. If I try to commit to the turn, my leading skate turns before I can lift it off. My real problem is transferring my weight to the skate doing the 180 though.

My stick handling is crude, as I've only been to a handful of stick and puck sessions. Practicing at home has helped, but moving with the puck and not losing it is a different story.

In do time, I suppose.

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
what helped me with the mohawks is to remember to bend your knees, and I practiced them at home on the floor in my shoes. If you're like me, I had a lot of trouble opening my hips, so getting stretched out, and burning it into muscle memory at home helped a ton.

I'm a big fan of doing stuff like that at home while watching tv. Gets you a decent part of the way there, and the ice time will get you the rest

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
now 6 games into my first season in 13 years (roller hockey), i'm officially snake bitten. Had 6 points in 3 games (3 goals 3 assists) and now I'm scoreless in my last 3. I don't know what to do to get back to scoring. I feel like I'm doing the same thing I did to generate offense. Get right to the front of the net if I don't have the puck (or skate in the slot) and If i have the puck I hang on a wing and look for cutters or throw the puck on net.

Everyone is right though. Skating is the number 1 thing to work on. I can't skate backwards at all and it makes me a complete defensive liability. Also learning to play defense. Don't reach for the puck, play the body. It makes a world of difference. If you make a play on the puck and control your stick, most of the time the refs won't call a penalty unless the contact is ridiculous.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I started learning how to skate from scratch on September 2011.

It's been almost 3 years now, minus 1 year of military service (so no hockey for a year).

I think I can comfortably say I can keep up with intermediate level players with minor league experience, but have to try extremely hard to keep up with high level ex-Junior A/B players.

Honestly think I could have improved even more if I hadn't started slacking on improving my skating and found a private instructor.

Highly recommended if you can find the time and cash.

thunderbirdhotel

Jul 16, 2014
Had my first Adult Learn to Play clinic last night and had a blast. Been about 20 years since I touched a puck, but have been skating with my 6yo for last few months. Wasn't the worst, wasnt the best, pushed hard can't wait to push harder.

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Funny moments being the lowest skill level

I've been playing hockey for eight years, but this is only the second year I've played on a team. I've never been an athlete. Greatest moment last night:

"We all did way better. Everyone was in position even Ian!"

Finding a great group to play with makes it all better.

:yo:

damack

Jan 3, 2014
New player feeling a bit down here. I just started playing this year, pretty late in life (49) but learned to skate, took some ltp programs, played some drop in and got on a beginner team this fall. It started out rough, pulled my groin 2nd game into the season and missed 6 games but have been back for 5 and am still pointless on the season. That makes me the only one on the team without a point and really only one of 2 in the league that plays regularly that's without a point. I may be completely delusional but I feel like I'm trying hard, playing responsible defensively and got a few chances last night but just can't get a break. Our team is full of beginners and we're playing against mostly better teams. We got our first win on season last night which should have been something to be ecstatic about but all I'm thinking is another game goes by without a point.

Well that's my whine of the week, It felt better to do it anonymously than actually do it out loud.:D

Last edited:

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
New player feeling a bit down here. I just started playing this year, pretty late in life (49) but learned to skate, took some ltp programs, played some drop in and got on a beginner team this fall. It started out rough, pulled my groin 2nd game into the season and missed 6 games but have been back for 5 and am still pointless on the season. That makes me the only one on the team without a point and really only one of 2 in the league that plays regularly that's without a point. I may be completely delusional but I feel like I'm trying hard, playing responsible defensively and got a few chances last night but just can't get a break. Our team is full of beginners and we're playing against mostly better teams. We got our first win on season last night which should have been something to be ecstatic about but all I'm thinking is another game goes by without a point.

Well that's my whine of the week, It felt better to do it anonymously than actually do it out loud.:D
a) maybe don't fixate on points? . . .
b) are you doing some work off-ice to improve strength, power, acceleration etc? IE all-round athleticism. It may help you avoid injury and will definitely help your game. Then . . .
c) . . . points may come?

Just an idea. I'm 50 and started playing this year and saw my biggest improvements after getting fitter off-ice.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
a) maybe don't fixate on points? . . .
b) are you doing some work off-ice to improve strength, power, acceleration etc? IE all-round athleticism. It may help you avoid injury and will definitely help your game. Then . . .
c) . . . points may come?

Just an idea. I'm 50 and started playing this year and saw my biggest improvements after getting fitter off-ice.

if I could pick up a damn point I wouldn't be so fixated on it!:laugh::laugh:

and ya, I'm spending double the money and time in the gym with a trainer than I actually am playing hockey! But it's only been a month or so, after rehabbing the groin injury I knew I needed some conditioning help. All just to play bottom level beer league! Love it.

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
if I could pick up a damn point I wouldn't be so fixated on it!:laugh::laugh:

and ya, I'm spending double the money and time in the gym with a trainer than I actually am playing hockey! But it's only been a month or so, after rehabbing the groin injury I knew I needed some conditioning help. All just to play bottom level beer league! Love it.

Seriously, don't fixate yourself on points.

Hangout by the net as much as you can when it makes sense. Look for the rebound opportunities and smack the puck in. Once you do get by the net, you'll notice how many garbage goal possibilities there are.

Other than being by the net, learn to predict where the puck has the highest possibility of going. If you don't have a feel for that yet, which it sounds like you don't quite yet, make sure someone is always in the slot. If it's empty, then get in there. In almost all rookie games I've seen, the slot is usually wide open when the puck isn't there. All it takes is one pass to get it there, and if you're there to receive it, then good things can happen. A lot of it will of course require the entire team to be on the same page. Everyone has to know that the slot (in this example) is an option if someone can consistently be in it. It's a trust thing.

Heck, most of my goals are garbage goals. I wasn't focused on points though, I was focused on getting goals to win the game for our team. It's cliche, but you have to have the right mindset of working as a team.

Of course I have no idea how well your team plays, but make sure you're all not chasing the puck. Everyone needs to be comfortable waiting for the puck in their area of patrol. It's too often that a puck gets broken free and goes into completely open ice with no one anywhere near it to pick it up. Usually in those cases, if the team was sticking to just basic positioning, it would have been a great scoring chance. Sure, you might have to skate a few feet to get it, but it won't be from one side of the zone to the other.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
2nd year playing in 5 years, and I made it to final cuts for my Varsity high school team. I doubt I'll make it on Varsity, but I am happy nonetheless. Somehow I came back this year a lot stronger of a skater, maybe it's just more confidence since I'm more comfortable with everything around me, considering it was a while since I have played before last year.

Flying

Jun 24, 2013
Yamoussoukro, USA
bouncing back and forth between backup goaltender and center depending on how many people show up to practice/games these days. practicing twice a week (one as G one as C) just seems ineffective but that's all the ice time that our team can get.

oh well.

pennstaterlz

Dec 12, 2014
Hey guys. 29 year old here. Just stepped onto the ice for my first official ice hockey playing career last night.

I've played dek and roller sporadically over the past couple of years. I've always wanted to play ice. I haven't gone to any clinics like that or anything as my skating abilities from roller are passable at the least.

A friend of mine plays with a group of dudes for open hockey that's invite only. So I joined them last night and jumped right into it. It was the most fun I've ever had playing a sport. I definitely fell my fair share of times. I also was out of position enough. But I did make a couple of decent plays and almost had a breakaway had I not spazzed.

The guys I played with were great. And didn't get frustrated when I went offsides or ****ed up. And definitely congratulated me when I did something good.

Can't wait to play again next week.

Quick questions I was wondering:

1. Do you wash your hockey socks after every practice / game? How long between washes?
2. Do you re-tape your stick every game? Every couple? Re-wax every game?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad