Beginners: The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Oak, what a great story!! I don't have kids yet, but it's so awesome to see parents making sacrifices and supporting their kids in this great game. And take heart, I hear they grow up quickly, soon enough you'll be out there in full gear playing with them lol

SiberianBull

Apr 27, 2012
Hey everyone - new to the boards, and just getting back into skating/playing. I made a separate n00b thread, but clearly all my ramblings belong in here, so might as well bump this up :nod:

A little back story. Born in Russia, was on skates a lot and played a ton of pick up from 6-12yo, nothing focused or organized as my main sport was tennis. Came to the states when I was 12, and had to drop hockey/skating to focus on tennis.

Fast forward 21 years to December and my 4 year old is all of a sudden really fascinated with hockey/skating. So we take him to the local rink - and he loves it, which gives me an opportunity to take him rather frequently and also work on my skating. There are a couple of adult leagues starting up in the fall - hoping to join the lowest one which has a wide range of abilities and see how it goes

I am kinda in the border area as far as hockey popularity is concerned - Lexington, KY. We had an AHL team here from mid 90s til about '03, and hockey was booming... Ever since they left town, it has been kinda meh. No adult clinics, skate and shoots are sparse, rink is closing in about a month for the summer - so will have to drive to Louisville or Cincinnati for some ice time... decent junior programs though for my kid.

As far as my skating is concerned, I feel like my weaknesses and strengths are pretty standard for this forum - and of course there is a ton i need to work on. I am decent at going left (both crossovers and hockey turns), hockey stop is fine going right, going backwards and stopping backwards are fine as well. Uncomfortable crossing over to the right, hockey turning to the right, hockey stopping to the left (obv should work on these areas).... and haven't held a stick in a couple decades - but that's a whole different issue.

Looking forward to do some stick work and continually improve my skating. Great atmosphere and inspiration in this thread - glad to be a part of it!

lilphill23

Apr 29, 2012
North Attleboro, MA
Hi, I have been following this board for some time now finally got my registration taken care of. Just thought i would check in a see how many people from MA were in here and who may be playing with Stinkysocks hockey this upcoming spring.

dpressma

Apr 30, 2012
South Jersey
New to HF Boards here. I've always wanted to play hockey but as a kid I was pushed into soccer and eventually lacrosse. I've always been embarrassed and sulked in the fact that hockey is my favorite sport but I've never actually been on the ice a day in my life. I decided to stop being such a wuss about it and made that first step in buying a pair of skates. After a lot of research and comparing options and my budget I went ahead and got a pair of Bauer Vapor X1.0's yesterday and for the first time ever stepped onto the ice today! (after watching the Flyers and Phantoms practice on the very same surface... how humbling!)

I've roller bladed a few times when I was younger, maybe 8-12 years ago, but haven't touched skates since. Well the first hour I was able to stay on two foot mostly in one direction. I was able to manage doing a few laps in the first 1/2 hour or so. I decided that I'd put my faith in the fact that I'm just naturally an athlete and have had roller skated before, and "just do the damn thing" by the time the 2 hour session was over I was doing rather quick and comfortable figure 8's in both directions around the face-off circles at one end. I was stunned. One of the older gentlemen on the ice said I was doing well and to keep it up which gave me a great sense of confidence to not give up when I fell down a few times.

I can't stop or go backwards yet, but hell I had a blast. I've officially caught the bug and can not wait to get out there again. Thank you to everyone that's been posting their stories and progression on here because it was all of you that finally convinced me that it's never too late to do what I love. I know I'll never be a pro, but I can certainly have just as much fun as them.

Last edited:

theFinn

Mar 9, 2012
My first beginner on-ice class is tonight, I'm both stupidly excited and stupidly nervous. I just hope I'm not the first one that falls down.. :)

bigduga

Oct 4, 2009
I just hope I'm not the first one that falls down.. :)
Own it. I intentionally flopped on my stomach in front of everyone three strides off the bench Just to get it out of the way.

If you're like i was when i started (a few months ago) there's zero point in prolonging the inevitable. You're going to eat-*****. A lot, if you're trying hard enough. Sometimes it hurts enough that the last thing you need to go with your bruised hips and sore back is wounded pride.

Half of learning to skate is learning to love the tactile feedback of gravity. The first half of the journey to finding your ouside edge is a cold, hard trail that you dive into with your arms flailing and slide down on your rear end.

Embrace the reality of falling. Go out there and ditch yourself like a champ.

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
Own it. I intentionally flopped on my stomach in front of everyone three strides off the bench Just to get it out of the way.

If you're like i was when i started (a few months ago) there's zero point in prolonging the inevitable. You're going to eat-*****. A lot, if you're trying hard enough. Sometimes it hurts enough that the last thing you need to go with your bruised hips and sore back is wounded pride.

Half of learning to skate is learning to love the tactile feedback of gravity. The first half of the journey to finding your ouside edge is a cold, hard trail that you dive into with your arms flailing and slide down on your rear end.

Quote this for the M.F. truth.

Falling is learning. Period.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011

I think I'm going to do this. I hardly ever fall. Ever. Speedskating and now hockey - I've fallen maybe 8 times in my life. Most of those have been because someone knocked me over.

I think that's why it takes me so long to learn, because I'm timid and don't push the edges enough. I think I need to go a little too far, so I can learn exactly how far I can go and still control it.

So that's my plan for Friday and then Sunday. Work on shooting, work on stopping, and tell myself I can't leave until I've fallen at least a few times.

WeedCrimes

#Yzerteam
Feb 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Went to my first Skate and Shoot today and it was a blast! Only a few people on the ice so I had plenty of room to myself.

I shot at the board quite a few times and although most of the pucks went straight into the kick plate, I managed to get a pretty lift on a fair amount of them!

Also worked on my saucer pass and boy is that easier than I thought it would be!

THIS! I only started skating a month and a half ago, and probably on average twice a week, and I've progressed a lot quicker than I thought I would and would have never progressed this fast if I was afraid to fall. I probably fall 1-4 times every time I go to public skates because I am pushing myself so hard to improve (this is also because I don't sharpen my blades enough for how hard I'm skating, but still...)

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Only once did anyone give me any **** for falling (besides my friends, but that's what friends are for...) and it was a group of 8 year olds. No one with any sense of maturity are going to judge you for going hard and falling.

GO OUT AND FALL!

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I think I'm going to do this. I hardly ever fall. Ever. Speedskating and now hockey - I've fallen maybe 8 times in my life. Most of those have been because someone knocked me over.

I think that's why it takes me so long to learn, because I'm timid and don't push the edges enough. I think I need to go a little too far, so I can learn exactly how far I can go and still control it.

So that's my plan for Friday and then Sunday. Work on shooting, work on stopping, and tell myself I can't leave until I've fallen at least a few times.

Definitively do this man. If you are a beginner and it makes you feel better go get some elbow pads, shin pads and even hockey pants and get out there and get out of your comfort zone. It's the only way you are ever going to improve.

I know a guy who has been playing for 5+ years. When he first started playing he could barely stand on his skates and his knees were shaking. Now he has improved tremendously but he still would be considered a relatively bad skater and it's because I have never seen him once get out of his comfort zone.

Your never going to get better until you work on those weak edges or those uncomfortable pivots. Get out there and fall on your butt but stay resilent and you will see improvement. Good luck everybody.:)

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
If you're not falling, you're not trying hard enough. How can you learn where your limits are if you never exceed them? How can you learn how much lean is too much if you never reach the "too much" point? You've gotta blow a few tires before you learn how far you can go.

The only people who have never fallen on an ice rink are the people who are shuffling around the outside holding onto the boards for dear life.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Remember this, one of the most important abilities in hockey is being able to get to the puck before your opponent does. Having that extra one second can mean the difference between a 1v0/2v1 breakaway and the opponent keeping the play in your own zone, or being able to keep the play alive instead of giving your opponent an odd man rush.

Developing good skating agility and speed through proper technique will help you do that.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Definitively do this man. If you are a beginner and it makes you feel better go get some elbow pads, shin pads and even hockey pants and get out there and get out of your comfort zone. It's the only way you are ever going to improve.

Your never going to get better until you work on those weak edges or those uncomfortable pivots. Get out there and fall on your butt but stay resilent and you will see improvement. Good luck everybody.:)

I've been playing for 6 weeks in the D-league, so I do have everything I need to play and fall without fear. It just happens that I don't fall often. I'm definitely not hanging onto the side or anything, I've skated for several years. I do think I could get a lot better by pushing myself, though.

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
Hi, I have been following this board for some time now finally got my registration taken care of. Just thought i would check in a see how many people from MA were in here and who may be playing with Stinkysocks hockey this upcoming spring.

Another Bostonian here. I'll probably do some Stinkysocks hockey after I get my feet wet in an instructional league (FMC Icesports) closer to my apartment.

Sadly my hockey debut isn't going to be this weekend. have an ingrown toenail that needs to be cut back to the root and a chemical put on it to keep the ingrown toenail from coming back.

Had to trade my day off for buying the rest of my goalie gear for outpatient surgery :P

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Oak, what a great story!! I don't have kids yet, but it's so awesome to see parents making sacrifices and supporting their kids in this great game. And take heart, I hear they grow up quickly, soon enough you'll be out there in full gear playing with them lol

Haha. Hopefully one of them gets into the Nhl and will take care of dear old dad. :D

Maybe then I can pursue my dreams of getting a jiu jitsu black belt, and being a hockey player. Oh and a porsche would be nice too.

koz2393

Oct 7, 2011

As someone somewhat in the transition from kid to adult (19/freshman in college), I can say they'll definitely appreciate it one day haha. Sports are mine and my dad's "thing"; he coached all my teams when I was little, we watch games, and so on. When I was about 4 or so, he got me my first pair of skates, took me to lessons, and started watching hockey with me. Being in new york city though, skating soon was replaced with basketball and baseball, and after the lockout, we really stopped watching hockey. Fast forward some years, I start going to high school in Manhattan, have a best friend who loves hockey, and another friend takes me to a Rangers game. I fell back in love, took my dad to one, he fell back in love. From there, we've gone to I don't know how many games, went on a mini-roadtrip of Canada to see games, and this christmas he got me another pair of skates so I can finally learn to actually play. Long story short, if your kids take to the hockey, you'll have a great father-son thing. Even if they won't say it, they'll appreciate it.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
I'm thinking about doing Stinkysocks, but I'm also looking at GBH and NESHL (don't want anyone dropping a deuce in my gloves, though).

lilphill23

Apr 29, 2012
North Attleboro, MA
from everything i have heard the NESHL is quite intense are there is some goonery (don't know if that is a word). I have also heard there are alot of guys totrying to relive their glory days.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
from everything i have heard the NESHL is quite intense are there is some goonery (don't know if that is a word). I have also heard there are alot of guys totrying to relive their glory days.

I heard the goonery is mostly in the D level and the gloryseekers are in the A and B level. I'd probably be around a high C or a low B. Probably go with C. I don't mind getting a little rough, I just don't want to get punched in the face (it's too pretty).

SiberianBull

Apr 27, 2012
Nice post, Koz. My kid is 4 and loves it (so far), hopefully will stick to it.

Got my first skate/shoot tonight, hope I don't make a jackass out of myself

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside

I know a guy who has been playing for 5+ years. When he first started playing he could barely stand on his skates and his knees were shaking. Now he has improved tremendously but he still would be considered a relatively bad skater and it's because I have never seen him once get out of his comfort zone.

The first thing I did at my first learn to play class last fall was to take a few strides and fall on purpose. I did it for a few reasons - 1. to get it over with, 2. it was my first time wearing full gear and I wanted to see how falling felt, and 3. I wanted to see how different getting back on my skates was with all the gear on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->