The Hockey News Top 50 Prospect Rating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Epsilon said:
So THN has Jordan Staal rated as the 3rd best 2006 prospect? Talk about last name overhype.

I saw him play all season, and he was great. He might have been the best Pete in the playoffs, and will deifinitely be a top 10 pick. He might even turn out better than Eric.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Epsilon said:
So THN has Jordan Staal rated as the 3rd best 2006 prospect? Talk about last name overhype.

What position does Jordan play? Thank you.

letterH

Nov 16, 2003
Kamloops, BC
Visit site
What a crappy Draft Preview. I agree with others who have said this is usually a fantastic issue full of information. THN mailed this issue in. No effort at all was made, instead just slapping something together. Maybe Bob MacKenzie was the reason the draft preview used to be great, who knows. Usually the writeup are longer and in better detail, they have a comlete list of Central Scouting and THN rankings, each NHL team's propect reports and a top 10 for the next draft.

Huge disappointment and I hope others have fired off an email to them.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Finally got mine today. I don't think it's too bad although I haven't had a chance to look to closely yet. But from what I've seen it doesn't look too bad just as long when they do finally have a draft they come out with a more in depth preview.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Maybe it is because I am in Iraq, but I have zero interest in this year's prospect crop because of the uncertainty surrounding how it will be resolved.

It's sad- June 1st has always been a big day for me- it usually marks the three-week point until draft day, and is always accompanied by the various draft publications that we all devour voraciously. This year, though, with no draft in June to look forward to, and being in the midst of a war zone, it certainly doesn't rate very high on the radar.

If a new CBA is signed and we get a feeling for how the 2005 draft will be executed, I'm sure it will change for me, but for now, not only am I not surprised that THN didn't make much of an effort, but I really don't care.

jeffbrown

Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Agree with the lads here who say this draft edition is kinda half-assed. I find several things missing:

Final full ISS North America and Europe rankings
Years past, there have been projections of each player (eg 2nd line offensive centre)
Most annoying thing is no team report on team needs, top 5 prospects, and progress analysis.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
2005 Mock Draft

Wanted to get this on the prospect board just for those that dont frequent the mock draft board. Opinions please.

1) Pittsburgh: Sidney Crosby
2) Columbus : Jack Johnson
3) Chicago : Gilbert Brule
4) Florida : Marc Staal
5) Atlanta : Anze Kopitar
6) Rangers : Bobby Ryan
7) Carolina : Benoit Pouliot
8) Washington : Luc Bourdon
9) Phoenix : Jack Skille
10) Anaheim : Ryan O'Marra
11) Buffalo : Alex Bourret
12) Nashville : Marek Zagrapan
13) Los Angeles : Tuukka Rask
14) Minnesota : Guillame Latendresse
15) Calgary : Martin Hanzal
16) Montreal : Brian Lee
17) Islanders : Ryan Parent
18) Edmonton : Kenndal McArdle
19) San Jose : Andrew Cogliano
20) Tampa Bay : Jeff Frazee
21) St Louis : Niklas Bergfors
22) Boston : Dan Bertram
23) Vancouver : Slava Trukhno
24) Toronto : Ryan Stoa
25) Dallas : Devin Setoguchi
26) New Jersey : Tom Fritsche
27) Philadelphia : Carey Price
28) Colorado : Andrei Zubarev
29) Ottawa : Radek Smolenak
30) Detroit : Teemu Laakso

For me, goalies are mysterious as to who the teams like, although I think Im accurate the teams that got a goalie needed one. Price, Rask, Frazee could be interchangeable to a certain degree and guys like Levasseur could come out and get in top 30. IMO Bergfors is too low, but I was using the HF rankings and evaluations of prospect pools and felt that was where he would go. Fritsche reeks of NJ.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mercury said:
The Flyers do not need a goalie. We need defensemen and wingers. I was thinking Risto Korhonen perhaps, at that spot.

Something tells me they'll pull off a deal so they can get Bobby Ryan.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
That's the speculation. John LeClair-esque power forward from Cherry Hill, N.J. who is close friends with Bobby Clarke? I think he might take a shot. :) If something could not be done, I wouldn't be surprised to see him acquired later on in his career.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Trade up for Bobby Ryan certainly seems reasonable, but would you argue the value of a Price at number 27? I dont think you should be upset that the Flyers took him over say a projected 4th-5th defender in Korhonen. Would you?

fred2792

Nov 3, 2004
Ste-Therese
Balej's Dance said:
Wanted to get this on the prospect board just for those that dont frequent the mock draft board. Opinions please.

1) Pittsburgh: Sidney Crosby
2) Columbus : Jack Johnson
3) Chicago : Gilbert Brule
4) Florida : Marc Staal
5) Atlanta : Anze Kopitar
6) Rangers : Bobby Ryan
7) Carolina : Benoit Pouliot
8) Washington : Luc Bourdon
9) Phoenix : Jack Skille
10) Anaheim : Ryan O'Marra
11) Buffalo : Alex Bourret
12) Nashville : Marek Zagrapan
13) Los Angeles : Tuukka Rask
14) Minnesota : Guillame Latendresse
15) Calgary : Martin Hanzal
16) Montreal : Brian Lee
17) Islanders : Ryan Parent
18) Edmonton : Kenndal McArdle
19) San Jose : Andrew Cogliano
20) Tampa Bay : Jeff Frazee
21) St Louis : Niklas Bergfors
22) Boston : Dan Bertram
23) Vancouver : Slava Trukhno
24) Toronto : Ryan Stoa
25) Dallas : Devin Setoguchi
26) New Jersey : Tom Fritsche
27) Philadelphia : Carey Price
28) Colorado : Andrei Zubarev
29) Ottawa : Radek Smolenak
30) Detroit : Teemu Laakso

For me, goalies are mysterious as to who the teams like, although I think Im accurate the teams that got a goalie needed one. Price, Rask, Frazee could be interchangeable to a certain degree and guys like Levasseur could come out and get in top 30. IMO Bergfors is too low, but I was using the HF rankings and evaluations of prospect pools and felt that was where he would go. Fritsche reeks of NJ.

From Mtl, trade up for Hanzal or Latendresse, if not possible, I prefer Ryan Parent over Brian Lee. Interesting mock draft, but Bobby Ryan and Benoit Pouliot will be higher.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
fred2792 said:
From Mtl, trade up for Hanzal or Latendresse, if not possible, I prefer Ryan Parent over Brian Lee. Interesting mock draft, but Bobby Ryan and Benoit Pouliot will be higher.

Fair enough and good points. I think Ryan is the third best player and I can certainly see him going to CHI. Staal was a reach, but I felt Florida needed a Dman with the plethora of solid forwards. Pouliot's a center right? ATL is a possibility.

You'd really want Hanzal? Being soft and lazy as one of the posters mentioned and his penchant for avoiding hits, I'd think you'd be better off going for Lat or Skille.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
The Flyers almost never take a goalie in the 1st round. I think Boucher and Ouellet were the only two in the last 10 years, and they were both taken 22nd overall. I can't see us spending that pick on a goalie there, considering Esche is 27, Niittymaki will be turning 25, and we have Beauchemin, Tremblay, etc. I would not be surprised if we took a goalie sooner than the 5th or 6th round, which seems to be where we tend to draft them in recent years, but I can't see them doing it in the 1st. We have glaring needs for scoring winger and physical defenseman prospects. Besides, depending on the draft scheme, we may be picking much higher than 27th overall. Given Price's upside, I agree it's a great pick value=wise, but I don't think a team like the Flyers gets into true Best Player Available mode when there is still possible impact talent in weak prospect pool areas left on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->