The Hockey News Top 50 Prospect Rating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Habsfan 32 said:
Thanks for the info. So I guess if he could have the effort of handzus he'd be a top 5 pick.

He does have the raw talent, and his size could be a huge advantage for him. He's just got to put it all together and work for it.

He's the definition of a boom or bust player.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
sjb3599 said:
Out of curiosity, how often have you seen Hanzal play?

Myself, not so much. My analysis of him relies mainly on the reports I have read about him from credible sources. And at the U18's I agreed with everything I had read. He seems to have really, really good offensive instincts and was really dangerous when he had a step on someone or a bit of room. He stood out.

It also looked like he took a few shifts off, which seems consistent with the knock on him.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Le Golie said:
Myself, not so much. My analysis of him relies mainly on the reports I have read about him from credible sources. And at the U18's I agreed with everything I had read. He seems to have really, really good offensive instincts and was really dangerous when he had a step on someone or a bit of room. He stood out.

It also looked like he took a few shifts off, which seems consistent with the knock on him.

Cool, thanks. Living in the U.S., I didn't even get to see the U18s.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i am shocked that no one has mentioned this but... i am utterly disapointed in the reduced coverage THN gave to this year`s draft issue.

instead of fitting 4 profiles a page like last year, they now have 10 a page. last year they use (for example) over 160 words on each prospect s game; this year they barely have 50 words per prospect. previously they would gointo the pros and cons of each kid s game and past. this year they limit themselves to a general plug of his style and a couple of strengths.

in the past i gave far more importance to each prospect s text rather than the draft ranking... in that from the text you could get a good gut feeling about each player s individual style and boom or bust quotient, the quotes gotten from random scouts would also be helpfull. i feel that this year s edition is not only shorter but much poorer.

THN hascompletely sold out. and don t give me the old `it s because of the lockout`line because this is the one issue that could have and should have been un-altered from other years. the content is based on what prospects from JUNIOR leagues have done. it has nothing to do with the NHL`s inactivity.

this issue is always my favourite of the year. as a consumer i feel completely ripped off.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I don't know if I'm stoned or what, but I didn't see Daniel Ryder listed. Is he not eligible for the next draft?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
The Macho Man said:
i am shocked that no one has mentioned this but... i am utterly disapointed in the reduced coverage THN gave to this year`s draft issue.

THN hascompletely sold out. and don t give me the old `it s because of the lockout`line because this is the one issue that could have and should have been un-altered from other years. the content is based on what prospects from JUNIOR leagues have done. it has nothing to do with the NHL`s inactivity.

But there is a lockout, and there is no draft planned out as of now.

I think it's already a miracle they bothered with some draft coverage when there is no draft.

The Macho Man said:
this issue is always my favourite of the year. as a consumer i feel completely ripped off.

You should have leafed through the issue before buying it, then.

Unless you are on a subscription. In which case, you've been ripped off for a looong time :D

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
this is like the only issue of the year that could and should have been unaltered from normal length and quality. there WILL be a draft at some point. if this is the best they could come up with... that's just pathetic.

i did look through it before buying it and i did notice the 10 prospects per page.

it's just that draft day is like christmas morning for me (and even better)... this issue (normally) provides great insight into the prospects and who to go for and who not to hope for... so getting this issue is (normally) like christmas eve in that it provides great anticipation for me. IMO anticipation is the greatest pleasure in life.

just a huge huge let down. i can't believe no one else feels this way.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Vlad The Impaler said:

I think it's already a miracle they bothered with some draft coverage when there is no draft.

But like the man said, and I agree with him, that should have no bearing on the prospect rankings. The general sense is that there will be a draft this summer and if THN is going to bother putting out a draft preview at all there is NO reason not to do a full edition. It's not as if the rest of the current issue couldn't have been pushed back to the next one.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
sjb3599 said:
I agree it's a little cheap of THN, but I'm glad they released a draft preview at all.
Here's hoping this isn't really their Draft Preview. It's just a brief 5-page rundown on the Top 50 hopefully as a sort of filler on a slow day, plus trying to feed the addiction of the crazed draft fans who are expecting something this time of year...
but hopefully it will be followed up with the usual full issue if/when a draft is actually imminent.
Hopefully. (Naively hopefully? :dunno: )

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
They are pretty accurate as far as the Russians go. Guys like Zubov might go in the first round, and they also don't mention Belov. But the rest of the second rounders are pretty good. They put too much stock in Shirokov though. While he might get picked in the second, he is not a player of that calliber.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Can you order the latest issue from THN w/out a subscription??? Or just back-orders. The bookstores here don't seem to be carrying it anymore since the lock-out I guess??? Thanks, Bryan

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
RussianProspects said:
They are pretty accurate as far as the Russians go. Guys like Zubov might go in the first round, and they also don't mention Belov. But the rest of the second rounders are pretty good. They put too much stock in Shirokov though. While he might get picked in the second, he is not a player of that calliber.

With concerns over Zubov's intensity/heart/determination, you still see a team taking a gamble on him? He seems like just the kind of guy who slips into the 5th round or lower b/c of those negatives.

What do you think of Zubarev, ISS' report on him in the past was gushing and very positive. A kind of lower-profiled Jack Johnson who does everything right? Does he carry a first round grade?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:

I thought the league has said over and over again that as soon as a CBA is done, the draft will be the first thing that takes place. Sounds like at least a bit of a plan.

TWS

Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
Where did you guys get your issue? Is it only by subscription because I looked around and left empty handed each time. If you bought it at some store would you tell me where :help: ? Thanks.

littleD

The issue also has a fantasy top 15 including both '05 and '06 eligible players.

1. Crosby
2. Kessel
3. Frolik
4. Pouliot
5. Brule
6. Johnson
7. J. Staal
8. Mueller
9. Ryan
10. Kopitar
11. Toews
12. M. Staal
13. David Ruzicka
14. O'Marra
15. Joensuu

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
littleD said:
The issue also has a fantasy top 15 including both '05 and '06 eligible players.

1. Crosby
2. Kessel
3. Frolik
4. Pouliot
5. Brule
6. Johnson
7. J. Staal
8. Mueller
9. Ryan
10. Kopitar
11. Toews
12. M. Staal