The Hockey News Top-100 List *Updated* (READ ALL BEFORE POSTING!)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Call it the "Habs push". It seems to me that many of the Montreal players are slotted higher by being from Montreal - likely due to the Stanley Cup successes.
And Dominik Hasek at #95?????????

Hummmm... If Kenny Reardon would have been on the list, maybe your last comment would make sense...

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
An exception would be for Lindros simply because he was rated at that time based on where everyone thought his career was heading at the time instead of what he had done. He was arguably the best player at the time, but still only in his 5th season.

I've made the rule especially for him. I put Messier down a bit because of the little production he bring after 1997, the fact that he didn't do the playoffs often and all the Vancouver saga. No big deal, but gotta say I'm not his biggest fan.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Guys, stop discussing, according to the OP he doesn't want the thread to turn into a discussion. That would be disastrous!

ilovehockey

Jan 1, 2007
Guys, stop discussing, according to the OP he doesn't want the thread to turn into a discussion. That would be disastrous!

I agree, I believe the hockey news did a great job with this, there is always going to be arguments about who is better, but between all these voters there was a consensus. People argue about the big four all the time but the consensus is Gretzky was the greatest off all time, even though you can make arguments for any of the big four.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I agree, I believe the hockey news did a great job with this, there is always going to be arguments about who is better, but between all these voters there was a consensus. People argue about the big four all the time but the consensus is Gretzky was the greatest off all time, even though you can make arguments for any of the big four.
Consensus? I don't know how you define consensus, but on the THN list, Gretzky wasn't the consensus No. 1. He was No. 1 by a very slim margin. Lemieux was the consensus No. 4. There was hardly any consensus for the top 3.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Consensus? I don't know how you define consensus, but on the THN list, Gretzky wasn't the consensus No. 1. He was No. 1 by a very slim margin. Lemieux was the consensus No. 4. There was hardly any consensus for the top 3.

Although his best years were behind him by 1996 (when the list was made), Lemieux did some things that could have raised him into the discussion from 1997 on. An Art Ross in 1997, his dominant return from retirement in 2001, and leading Canada to gold in 2002 all probably upped his stock.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Jaromir Jagr (from 37 to 26): 1 Hart, 3 Art-Ross. He proved he could be the league best without the help of Mario Lemieux. However, while having some good post-season, he never was able to carry a team on his back to the Stanley Cup finals.
4 art rosses actually, all in a row. 98, 99, 00, 01.

personally i'd have him somewhere between 10-15

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Gretzky is deserving at #1. Even after early on in '97 he upped his stock. His big playoff performance in '97 then his '97-98 season when he was a 2nd team all-star. None of that did anything to hurt him.

Henri Richard though won 11 Cups and it wasnt a coincidence. Some people in Baseball would have Joe Dimaggio as a top 5 player of all time. Not that his numbers are bad because they arent but Joe was a winner. He won 9 World Series. Winning helps its an intangible that cant be taught. Was Henri lucky? I dont think so he was hardly a floater on those Habs teams. He won the Cup in more seasons in his career than he lost it. Maybe Trottier should be ahead of him but Henri isnt far off. The Cup followed that guy around like a disease.

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
I have made a list of players that should get consideration to move up in the top-100. Most of these players get recognition in the All-Time draft top-100 (and that his including players like Kharlamov, Fetisov and Tretiak, that are ruled out in here).

Ed Belfour - certainly a chance, probably in the 75-100 range
Rob Blake - No
Martin Brodeur - Absolutely, probably in the 20s
Pavel Bure - maybe but would probably be in the 90-100 range
Sergei Fedorov - maybe but would probably be in the 90-100 range
Adam Foote - no way, not even if it was a Top 200, maybe a Top 300
Peter Forsberg - absolutely, probably around the 60s or 70s
Ron Francis - maybe but would probably be in the 90-100 range
Doug Gilmour - probably falls short, but it'll probably be close
Niklas Lidstrom - absolutely, and certainly in the top half, probably 30s or 40s
Al MacInnis - Yeah I think so, around the 70s
Larry Murphy - No
Scott Niedermayer - Not quite, but a Stanley Cup this season will get him closer
Chris Pronger - Yes, probably around the 70s, and a Stanley Cup this season would help
Luc Robitaille - No, not quite
Brendan Shanahan - Close, but I think he'd fall short
Scott Stevens - Yes, probably in the 60s or 70s
Mats Sundin - No

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Although his best years were behind him by 1996 (when the list was made), Lemieux did some things that could have raised him into the discussion from 1997 on. An Art Ross in 1997, his dominant return from retirement in 2001, and leading Canada to gold in 2002 all probably upped his stock.

I agree but he isn't catching Howe or Gretzky or Orr because of that.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Call it the "Habs push". It seems to me that many of the Montreal players are slotted higher by being from Montreal - likely due to the Stanley Cup successes.
And Dominik Hasek at #95?????????
"Habs Push" Thats for sure. Selection committee was overloaded with Habophiles which explains this:

5- Maurice Richard
6- Doug Harney
7- Jean Béliveau
8- Bobby Hull

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I agree but he isn't catching Howe or Gretzky or Orr because of that.

Ignoring point totals and trophies, if you feel Lemieux was as good a players as Gretzky and Howe, then the fact that he could come back from a 3 year retirement and his injuries and still be the best offensive player in the game (by FAR the best PPG in the league during his comeback year) certainly adds something to his resume. Lemieux is a guy that you can't measure on the basis of awards and point totals because he was injured all the time. You have to evaluate him on just how good you believe he was, and he was certainly in the same league as Gretzky and Howe in that sense. Not necessarily better, but in the discussion.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
i still have a problem with that list.
dale hawerchuck... he of 518 goals and 891 assists for 1409 points. always led his teams .calder trophy 5 all start nods.if gretzky doesnt play then, he's the best in the west. played for some HORRIBLE teams.
just my 2 cents.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Ignoring point totals and trophies, if you feel Lemieux was as good a players as Gretzky and Howe, then the fact that he could come back from a 3 year retirement and his injuries and still be the best offensive player in the game (by FAR the best PPG in the league during his comeback year) certainly adds something to his resume. Lemieux is a guy that you can't measure on the basis of awards and point totals because he was injured all the time. You have to evaluate him on just how good you believe he was, and he was certainly in the same league as Gretzky and Howe in that sense. Not necessarily better, but in the discussion.

That is why he was fourth on the list. With Gretzky and Howe there is no "What if?". With Mario there is. IF after Mario had come back after his 4 year layoff and played 5 full seasons and won a couple of Ross trophies a couple of Richard Trophies and 2 or 3 more Hart trophies and led the Pens on a few deep playoff runs then he could have risen on the list up into 3rd or 2nd or maybe even 1st. But he didn't do that. Leading the NHL in PPG and GPG in a half season after a 4 year layoff is impressive but it doesn't push him past Howe or Gretzky.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
That is why he was fourth on the list. With Gretzky and Howe there is no "What if?". With Mario there is. IF after Mario had come back after his 4 year layoff and played 5 full seasons and won a couple of Ross trophies a couple of Richard Trophies and 2 or 3 more Hart trophies and led the Pens on a few deep playoff runs then he could have risen on the list up into 3rd or 2nd or maybe even 1st. But he didn't do that. Leading the NHL in PPG and GPG in a half season after a 4 year layoff is impressive but it doesn't push him past Howe or Gretzky.

very true
i mean we could also "what if " mike bossy played past the age of 29!!! say 6 more years averaging say 25 goals per year(very modest considering he scored an average of 53 in his carreer) you could add 150 goals to his 573 for a total of 723!!!
but he didnt so the point is moot.
longevity and durability is as important as production .

Boom Boom Bear

May 23, 2007
Coast Salish lands
I'll take the first stab:

Eric Lindros (From 54 to outside the top-100): In my opinion, he was already to high on the chart. 5 season dosn't give you a better career than Stastny, Bathgate or Joliat. After another two good season with the Flyers (1998 and 1999), injuries take away what could of been an awesome career. From 1999 to 2006, he passed from one of the league best to a 3rd liner. moreover, with Dallas this year, it was the first time he was going into the playoff since 1998.

Agreed. He has absolutely no business being on a list of the all-time greats.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
1- Wayne Gretzky
2- Bobby Orr
3- Gordie Howe
4- Mario Lemieux
5- Maurice Richard
6- Doug Harney
7- Jean Béliveau
8- Bobby Hull
9- Terry Sawchuk
10- Eddie Shore
11- Dominik Hasek
12- Guy Lafleur
13- Mark Messier
14- Jacques Plante
15- Raymond Bourque
16- Howie Morenz
17- Patrick Roy
18- Glenn Hall
19- Stan Mikita
20- Phil Esposito
21- Denis Potvin
22- Mike Bossy
23- Ted Lindsay
24- Red Kelly
25- Bobby Clarke
26- Martin Brodeur
27- Jaromir Jagr
28- Larry Robinson
29- Ken Dryden
30- Niklas Lidstrom
31- Frank Mahovlich
32- Milt Schmidt
33- Paul Coffey
34- Henri Richard
35- Bryan Trottier
36- Chris Chelios
37- Dickie Moore
38- Newsy Lalonde
39- Syl Apps Sr.
40- Bill Durnan
41- Charlie Conacher
42- Steve Yzerman
43- Joe Sakic
44- Marcel Dionne
45- Joe Malone
46- Dit Clapper
47- Bernard Geoffrion
48- Tim Horton
49- Bill Cook
50- Johnny Bucyk
51- George Hainsworth
52- Gilbert Perreault
53- Max Bentley
54- Brad Park
55- Jari Kurri
56- Nels Stewart
57- King Clancy
58- Bill Cowley
59- Busher Jackson
60- Peter Stastny
61- Ted Kennedy
62- Andy Bathgate
63- Pierre Pilote
64- Turk Broda
65- Frank Boucher
66- Cy Dennedy
67- Sergei Fedorov
68- Bernard Parent
69- Brett Hull
70- Aurel Joliat
71- Toe Blake
72- Frank Brismek
73- Elmer Lach
74- Peter Forsberg
75- Dave Keon
76- Earl Seibert
77-Al MacInnis
78- Doug Bentley
79- Ron Francis
80- Scott Stevens
81- Borje Salming
82- George Vezina
83- Chuck Gardiner
84- Clint Benedict
85- Brian Leetch
86- Grant Fuhr
87- Tony Esposito
88- Billy Smith
89- Serge Savard
90- Alex Delvecchio
91- Cecil Dye
92- Doug Gilmour
93- Lorne Chabot
94- Sid Abel
95- Bob Gainey
96- Johnny Bower
97- Sprague Cleghorn
98- Norm Ullman
99- Sweeney Schriner
100- Brendan Shanahan

Last edited:

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
1- Wayne Gretzky
2- Bobby Orr
3- Gordie Howe
4- Mario Lemieux
5- Maurice Richard
6- Doug Harney
7- Jean Béliveau
8- Bobby Hull
9- Terry Sawchuk
10- Eddie Shore
11- Dominik Hasek
12- Guy Lafleur
13- Mark Messier
14- Jacques Plante
15- Raymond Bourque
16- Howie Morenz
17- Patrick Roy
18- Glenn Hall
19- Stan Mikita
20- Phil Esposito
21- Denis Potvin
22- Mike Bossy
23- Ted Lindsay
24- Red Kelly
25- Bobby Clarke
26- Martin Brodeur
27- Jaromir Jagr
28- Larry Robinson
29- Ken Dryden
30- Niklas Lidstrom
31- Frank Mahovlich
32- Milt Schmidt
33- Paul Coffey
34- Henri Richard
35- Bryan Trottier
36- Chris Chelios
37- Dickie Moore
38- Newsy Lalonde
39- Syl Apps Sr.
40- Bill Durnan
41- Charlie Conacher
42- Steve Yzerman
43- Joe Sakic
44- Marcel Dionne
45- Joe Malone
46- Dit Clapper
47- Bernard Geoffrion
48- Tim Horton
49- Bill Cook
50- Johnny Bucyk
51- George Hainsworth
52- Gilbert Perreault
53- Max Bentley
54- Brad Park
55- Jari Kurri
56- Nels Stewart
57- King Clancy
58- Bill Cowley
59- Busher Jackson
60- Peter Stastny
61- Ted Kennedy
62- Andy Bathgate
63- Pierre Pilote
64- Turk Broda
65- Frank Boucher
66- Cy Dennedy
67- Sergei Fedorov
68- Bernard Parent
69- Brett Hull
70- Aurel Joliat
71- Toe Blake
72- Frank Brismek
73- Elmer Lach
74- Peter Forsberg
75- Dave Keon
76- Earl Seibert
77-Al MacInnis
78- Doug Bentley
79- Ron Francis
80- Scott Stevens
81- Borje Salming
82- George Vezina
83- Chuck Gardiner
84- Clint Benedict
85- Brian Leetch
86- Grant Fuhr
87- Tony Esposito
88- Billy Smith
89- Serge Savard
90- Alex Delvecchio
91- Cecil Dye
92- Doug Gilmour
93- Lorne Chabot
94- Sid Abel
95- Bob Gainey
96- Johnny Bower
97- Sprague Cleghorn
98- Norm Ullman
99- Sweeney Schriner
100- Brendan Shanahan

Good one. But I think Hasek is too high. I wouldn't have him ahead of Plante, Roy, and Hall. Lidstrom I think is a bit high. And I think Pronger, Tiny Thompson, and Belfour belong on the list.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Good one. But I think Hasek is too high. I wouldn't have him ahead of Plante, Roy, and Hall. Lidstrom I think is a bit high. And I think Pronger, Tiny Thompson, and Belfour belong on the list.

Not allowed to add Thompson, even though he totally belongs, and I hate to remove Nighbour, but, can't move him either.

I'm a big Hasek fan, it is my opinion that no one in history could singlehandedly change the course of a single game like he could. Best player outside the elite 9.

I'm a big Lidstrom buff, have him just slighty below Robinson/Kelly/Fetisov. So, I may rank him higher than others.

I just couldn't justify putting Pronger over Shanny.

Belfour, I just don't care for...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad