The Hockey News' Top 10 Norris Candidates So Far

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Continue....
He hasn't been a very good possession player outside of his time with Suter, another guy who would be high on every top 10 defenseman list, and often times it has lead to some shocking goals% numbers, and that's while playing with another well regarded partner in Josi. And even with Suter it wasn't as dominant a pairing as you might expect given their pedigree. He's usually a great PP performer but this year he hasn't done much there despite Nashville adding a lot at forward.

Karlsson2Turris*

I honestly think that THN makes these lists just to stir up discussion and to make headlines on message boards :laugh:

In what world are Markov and Burns on this list over Weber and Karlsson?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
THN is a rag now. Sports journalism is about as relevant as gaming journalism with clowns like this guy at the helm.

I remember some THN writer voting Daniel Sedin for the Hart but changing the criteria because he felt Sedin was "the best" and there was no reward for that (unless you completely ignore the Lindsay, like that idiot did).

Maybe I'll be editor of that mag in 30 years and it can become somewhat respectable again.

Giving the Hart to the best player is a perfectly acceptable view of the criteria, and used by many voters.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I honestly think that THN makes these lists just to stir up discussion and to make headlines on message boards :laugh:

In what world are Markov and Burns on this list over Weber and Karlsson?

There's definitely some head scratchers on the list, but the reason Karlsson is omitted is probably because he's been playing like garbage in his own zone all season long. He's also fairly average offensively, which is where he usually stands out. His qualities are easily overshadowed by his weaknesses as far as Norris candidates go.

You guys even have a thread on your own board discussing about it. Don't act like he's good on the main board. :laugh:

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
There's definitely some head scratchers on the list, but the reason Karlsson is omitted is probably because he's been playing like garbage in his own zone all season long. He's also fairly average offensively, which is where he usually stands out. His qualities are easily overshadowed by his weaknesses as far as Norris candidates go.

You guys even have a thread on your own board discussing about it. Don't act like he's good on the main board. :laugh:

Lol, I second this.

Awful.

Weber needs to in there, Gio #1 for sure and Hedman over Burns any day. Even if he has been injured for half of the season.

Yup, totally agree.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Are they even trying? are they just randomly picking people they've heard of? Honestly looking at the rest of the list I'm surprised they even have Brodie

member 151739

Keith is not ahead of Weber in any facet of the game.

Well that's incredibly false. But those are my rankings for the Norris trophy, not best defensemen. Keith will absolutely remain in the discussion. He's been phenomenal. But it's Giordano's to lose.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Well that's incredibly false. But those are my rankings for the Norris trophy, not best defensemen. Keith will absolutely remain in the discussion. He's been phenomenal. But it's Giordano's to lose.

Wait, is there supposed to be a difference?

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position."

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Letang shouldn´t be listed 1st (in the TOP5 easily, though), but that´s not even the weirdest thing on that list. He´s been excellent for us. His offense is nice as always, but it´s his improved defense which makes a difference this year.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Like everyone has said, no Weber is an absolute shame. Giordano should be 1 or 2, since he's basically carried that offense at points.

Karlsson2Turris*

Still better than Brent freakin Burns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad