The Hockey News Future Watch 2013

stev0888

Dec 30, 2009
Kanata
I haven't been able to get my copy yet, was hoping someone would be able to post the rankings of Ottawa's top 10 (according to thn, I don't need everyone's own opinion)

I want to hear THN's take on Ottawa and see if they still have such high praise of the job the Murray's have done.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
As per Hockey News Future Watch

1. Mika Zibanejad (17th overall)
2. Jakub Silfverberg (18th overall)
3. Robin Lehner (24th overall)
4. Stefan Noesen (67th overall)
5. Patrick Wiercioch
6. Matt Puempel
7. Cody Ceci
8. Mark Stone (I'd rank him lower but almost everyone on this site has him higher)
9. Mark Borowiecki
10. Stephane Da Costa

These rankings are a compilation of rankings by 15 NHL General Managers and head scouts.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
They also have us #1 overall after handicapping. This means they've determined that we draft/develop better than the rest of the league relative to where we select in the draft on average. S'about right I think.

Milan the God*

Three in the top 25? Two of them were second round picks. Awesome.

Credit to the Murray's and the scouts. Erik Karlsson, Patrick Wiercioch, Zack Smith, Andre Petersson, Mark Borowiecki, Jared Cowen, Jakob Silfverberg, Robin Lehner, Chris Wideman, Mike Hoffman, Corey Cowick and Michael Sdao all came from the 2008/2009 drafts. A really strong group of players there.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
yeah, i would switch 8 and 6. I think Stone is a perfect winger for Spezza and will greatly help his overall ranking. Now, we one got to see them play one game together against Lundqvist so we dont know how they would do against a bottem feeder team.

Yes, im hoping he becomes prime Heatley 2.0

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Stone will be. He's smart and has vision. He has a great shot. He's a fantastic passer, too. I hope that he and Da Costa team up in Binghamton.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
As per Hockey News Future Watch

1. Mika Zibanejad (17th overall)
2. Jakub Silfverberg (18th overall)
3. Robin Lehner (24th overall)
4. Stefan Noesen (67th overall)
5. Patrick Wiercioch
6. Matt Puempel
7. Cody Ceci
8. Mark Stone (I'd rank him lower but almost everyone on this site has him higher)
9. Mark Borowiecki
10. Stephane Da Costa

These rankings are a compilation of rankings by 15 NHL General Managers and head scouts.

Mark Borowiecki is cool but Shane Prince should be there. Mark Stone should be a bit higher too, switch him with Puempel

In fact, the top-4 is right but after that :

1. Robin Lehner
2. Mika Zibanejad
3. Jakob Silfverberg
4. Stefan Noesen
5. Cody Ceci
6. Mark Stone
7. Stephane Da Costa
8. Patrick Wiercioch
9. Shane Prince
10. Matt Puempel

I switched Stone and Noesen from a few weeks ago... Maybe I'll have to switch Wiercioch and Da Costa if Wier continues to impress.

They also have us #1 overall after handicapping. This means they've determined that we draft/develop better than the rest of the league relative to where we select in the draft on average. S'about right I think.

Fire Murray they said.

For me it's a satisfaction for defending the guy for so long and I have been called almost everything you can possibly think of in a hockey message board. Serving crow plates (even if nobody eats them) is an awesome thing though

This fact right here is what makes Bryan Murray so valuable for this franchise, we went from one of the worst teams in that aspect (scouting/drafting/developing) to the very best. It's awesome and why we got a future. Without that, we could have went Edmonton Oilers or Columbus Blue Jackets style, which is for perennial losers. Me no like.

Plus, people are finally realizing that he's not the worst trader (Turris, Anderson, etc.) ever and that finally, the contracts he gave up are really not that bad when compared to the rest of the league (market)

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
yeah, i would switch 8 and 6. I think Stone is a perfect winger for Spezza and will greatly help his overall ranking. Now, we one got to see them play one game together against Lundqvist so we dont know how they would do against a bottem feeder team.

Yes, im hoping he becomes prime Heatley 2.0

I hope Stone develops into a more multidimensional player. If you're looking for Heatley 2.0, isn't that Puempel? From my extensive scouting (one game), he floated around into the open spaces and is a pure sniper like Heatley was.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
People need to be cautiously optimistic about Stone. If you watched his games while he was up you saw skill, intelligence but a serious skating deficiency that will really hurt his chances to stick in the NHL.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Michael Ryder type player is Stone's ceiling imo. I say the same thing about Toffoli. We would be lucky if Stone turned out to be as good as Ryder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->