The Hockey News expansion draft projection | Detroit Red Wings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
God damn if that doesn't show the deplorable state of our roster.

Five forwards worth protecting, two D, and that's about it. Sure, some are because drafted assets, but just yuck yuck yuck. I guess we could at least add a couple forwards and a D-man and not have any worries about protectability. Like Kaden Fulcher? Nobody's taking Kaden ****ing Fulcher.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Also, nothing against Turgeon but I couldn't care less whether we protect him. If we get another better forward via trade, or even sign Glendening to a (cheap) extension, I'd protect them over Turgeon.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not so sure about that.
I am. Remember this is just based on potential expansion pick. If the organization chose to protect a young player instead of DDK, that means they see some type of value and or potential in them or they feel that DDK isn't in our long term plans ie: Mrazek. It is definitely worth replacing DDK with a veteran free agent in order to keep someone they see with potential/value. If they don't see anyone is worth keeping over DDK, that means they haven't really panned out and it doesn't matter if they get selected in the draft or not. At that point we can keep DDK.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
By the time the draft rolls around Cholowski and Hronek should have 2+ seasons/150+ games under their belt. Madison Bowey will likely still be here. We'll almost certainly have another vet or two under contract if for no other reason than we'll need the warm bodies to fill out the blueline. If we don't have someone better than Dekesyer to protect, I'd rather protect the kid.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It comes down to DDK, Lindstrom, or Bowey and how they play this season. Not really worth discussing until the season is over.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I am. Remember this is just based on potential expansion pick. If the organization chose to protect a young player instead of DDK, that means they see some type of value and or potential in them or they feel that DDK isn't in our long term plans ie: Mrazek. It is definitely worth replacing DDK with a veteran free agent in order to keep someone they see with potential/value. If they don't see anyone is worth keeping over DDK, that means they haven't really panned out and it doesn't matter if they get selected in the draft or not. At that point we can keep DDK.
Well, I am absolutely opposed to this.
Just because the organization does it, doesn't mean people should agree with their thinking.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
For the Vegas expansion, Yzerman paid a decent price (Rights to Gusev, 2017 2nd and 2018 4th) to Vegas to protect Dotchin/Koekkoek (whoops) and convince them to take the last year of Jason Garrison's contract.

That said, the price paid was of little consequence to Tampa. Gusev wasn't likely to come over in the next 2 years and they an extra 2nd round pick from moving Boyle, a potential extra 2nd round pick in 2018 if they decided to keep Sergachev off the NHL roster, and a handful of extra later round picks from moving the rights to a drafted player that wasn't going to sign and moving Nesterov and Bishop before the deadline.

Perhaps Yzerman is willing to do the same in Detroit. Maybe that's part of why Filppula and Nemeth got 2 years. The Red Wings might have a pretty good stock of mid to late round draft picks for 2021 and 2022 if/when Nemeth, Filppula, Glendening, Helm (probably to the Oilers :laugh:) and possibly even Bernier are moved as deadline rentals in the season prior to the expansion draft. Those extra picks might be good for expansion draft insurance if Yzerman wants Francis to take a specific contract or to protect certain guys that are unprotected.

I'll bet that unless DeKeyser is constantly injured and/or a trainwreck for the next two years, he'd be at the top of the list for Seattle. With one year remaining at that point, he'd give them a 2nd pairing Dman to try to go on a surprise inaugural run like Vegas, or if they aren't in the playoff hunt, they can get something out of moving him at the deadline.

I guess Lindstrom counts because of his age and when he signed. Since he signed at age 19, but turned 20 before 12/31, his contract didn't slide like it would've had he turned 20 after 12/31. So that year in the SHL counted as a "professional season". Considering they knew he wasn't coming over to NA for another year, waiting another year to sign him would've made him exempt. I guess in the teams defense though, the expansion hadn't been set in stone when he was signed, and there was nothing they could do to prevent his eligibility like they could with Zadina.

I agree with others that it's a bit too premature to speculate. Where are Svechnikov and Rasmussen's NHL games by then? What free agents or other eligible players has Yzerman possibly brought in by then? Is Lindstrom ready for a regular NHL job, or has he been passed on the depth chart already by guys like Seider/Kaski/McIsaac/etc.? Where's Bowey at by then?

Obviously, Seattle could just opt for a safe depth pick like Ehn/DLR or a just ready for a bottom line NHL role like Smith/Kuffner/etc.

Not that I think they would take him without some persuasion from Yzerman, but Nielsen has an attractive contract if Seattle is trying not to spend real money to the cap since he's due only $3M in real money after the expansion draft and can be sold as a rental. Obviously Nielsen would probably need to still be a serviceable 3rd line center by then for it to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->