AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It’s going to be an interesting off-season for sure.

These next two off-seasons will be the most important of the next 10 years, and should be most dynamic.

Dorion can do absolutely nothing and think that high picks are enough and then watch this team get dismantled from lack of supplementary talent and enter Buffalo like limbo, or he can make some extremely savvy trades and signings which will set our team up for years to come.

Example of savvy trade:

Sergachev + Killorn for NYI 1st, 2nd rounder, Tierney, Wolanin, Abramov/Balcers(if necessary)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hey this was a relatively stress-free season compared to the past couple. We had picks to look forward to, our AHL team played well, we had fewer scandals and blunders. My expectations were low and were met.

And we didn’t botch our trades completely! In fact we did well!

this season went as perfect as any tanking season could have possibly gone.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hey this was a relatively stress-free season compared to the past couple. We had picks to look forward to, our AHL team played well, we had fewer scandals and blunders. My expectations were low and were met.

I'd say my expectations were high and they were met, probably exceeded

Things I was hoping to see

Development of younger players - apart from White who imo had an injury driven down season, I'd say only Logan Brown was a real disappointment. We've got a long list of young players that had as good or better season than what you could expect including the Belleville franchise blowing past expectations

Goaltending - i think our pipeline really solidified and Hogberg exceeded expectations at the NHL level

DJ Smith - had the team competitive pretty much every night but also with a more exciting brand of hockey than the Boucher years

Dorion - did what many hoped and moved out pieces to acquire more draft pick capital

Points wise i think the nhl team paced higher than most here expected and the ahl team was really good

Heading in to next season I'm going to be more excited than I've been in forever

Now if only we can solve the elephant in the room issue

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd say my expectations were high and they were met, probably exceeded

Things I was hoping to see

Development of younger players - apart from White who imo had an injury driven down season, I'd say only Logan Brown was a real disappointment. We've got a long list of young players that had as good or better season than what you could expect including the Belleville franchise blowing past expectations

Goaltending - i think our pipeline really solidified and Hogberg exceeded expectations at the NHL level

DJ Smith - had the team competitive pretty much every night but also with a more exciting brand of hockey than the Boucher years

Dorion - did what many hoped and moved out pieces to acquire more draft pick capital

Points wise i think the nhl team paced higher than most here expected and the ahl team was really good

Heading in to next season I'm going to be more excited than I've been in forever

Now if only we can solve the elephant in the room issue

Id say this is a pretty accurate take on the season. Wasnt really dissapointed in Brown personally, his foot speed and compete got better, as long as he is progressing and doesnt go stagnant I am happy.

I hope D.J embraces the idea that his young players are going to make mistakes and they need reps, other than that was really happy with his coaching.

I found Brannstrom dissapointing but he has a long way to go, I liked what I saw from him on the right side.

Even with Whites injuries he still didnt compete like we have seen him in international competition. I dont think it will ever come easy for him so if he doesnt compete hard and play with an edge this is the type of player he is going to be. I am sure with a long off season and lots of video he will be cognisant of this. Maybe he was thinking too hard to play in the system or the injuries really lingered I am not sure but I am expecting him to bounce back.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Id say this is a pretty accurate take on the season. Wasn't really disappointed in Brown personally, his foot speed and compete got better, as long as he is progressing and doesn't go stagnant I am happy.

Only saw a handful of Senators games this year — and none with Logan Brown playing — so obviously only going on his numbers.

Hard to imagine a 21-year-old being a "disappointment" when he was a point-per-game scorer in the AHL and played 23 NHL games and appeared to contribute.

Are there glaring deficiencies in his game?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if we'll actually be spending to the floor this year or if cap circumvention will be the goal again this summer.

Given the negative impact of Covid-19 on team revenues, I cannot see Melnyk being able or willing to spend anymore than absolutely necessary.

INurHome

Mar 25, 2011
Ottawa
Given the negative impact of Covid-19 on team revenues, I cannot see Melnyk being able or willing to spend anymore than absolutely necessary.

I think this kind of thinking will be much more prevalent amongst NHL teams. Competition for contracts that allow for the manipulation of the Salary cap (floor) will be intense.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I’m coming out of this season cautiously optimistic. I don’t think we’ve ever been this well set up from a prospect/pick/young player perspective. I honestly think we’re one of the best set up teams in the last decade in that regard. Of course the elephant in the room is what’s keeping me from getting overly excited.

Reactions: variable26

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
It’s going to be an interesting off-season for sure.

These next two off-seasons will be the most important of the next 10 years, and should be most dynamic.

Dorion can do absolutely nothing and think that high picks are enough and then watch this team get dismantled from lack of supplementary talent and enter Buffalo like limbo, or he can make some extremely savvy trades and signings which will set our team up for years to come.

Example of savvy trade:

Sergachev + Killorn for NYI 1st, 2nd rounder, Tierney, Wolanin, Abramov/Balcers(if necessary)
Paul, Duclair, BT and Killorn on the left wing and who plays 4th line min?
Those 4 and Chabot and Sergachev, Lafreniere and the left side settled.

So what happened to your trade if we get 1st OV?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Paul, Duclair, BT and Killorn on the left wing and who plays 4th line min?
Those 4 and Chabot and Sergachev, Lafreniere and the left side settled.

So what happened to your trade if we get 1st OV?

Duclair also plays RW. If we get 1st overall then I’m even more enticed to make a bigger trade to help Laf get insulated/supported.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->