The Hobbit trilogy is the Star Wars Prequel trilogy of the 2010's

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think the Star Wars prequels at least has some kind of charm for how bad it was and because the effort was at least still there, but The Hobbit series just felt boring and needlessly stretched into 3 movies. I know it's not the case because Jackson really does have appreciation for the material, but my god was that trilogy ever a slog to get through. The second one was the only one that had some redeeming parts.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The original Star Wars and Lord of the Rings trilogies were landmark moments for cinema.

The following trilogies were absolute garbage.

Discusssssssss

I think the analogy works. Biggest difference is that the Star Wars prequels were still massive event films, while the Hobbit became easily forgotten moderate hits.

The Star Wars were also original material, and still contributed to the canon of the franchise. As a literary adaption, the Hobbit doesn't have that value.

Reactions: NyQuil

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And the SW sequels get the 2nd half of 2010s, so what happens in the 2020s.

Last edited:

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
I think the Star Wars prequels at least has some kind of charm for how bad it was and because the effort was at least still there, but The Hobbit series just felt boring and needlessly stretched into 3 movies. I know it's not the case because Jackson really does have appreciation for the material, but my god was that trilogy ever a slog to get through. The second one was the only one that had some redeeming parts.
It's the other way around for me. The Hobbit trilogy isn't perfect, but the charm remains so much that I watch the extended trilogies along with LotR every year. I'm a giant Middle Earth nerd though. Episode 1, on the other hand, utterly ruined Star Wars for me and I haven't watch anything since. Jarjar was that much of an insult. I was actually pissed of walking out of the theater.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I was ready for the Hobbit trilogy to end by the time I was sitting through the third movie. It was painfully obvious that they took a tiny sliver of story and blew it way out of proportion to make 3 overly long movies just to cash in on that sweet, sweet trilogy money. And they could've easily done that whole story in a movie or maybe two. But.... at their worst they are not as bad as the awful parts of the Star Wars prequels. And even if we're being generous, the awful parts of the Star Wars prequels is about 60% of their total runtime. The are the biggest indictment of the fact that as great of an idea man as George Lucas was, that the success of the original trilogy belongs as much to the likes of Lawrence Kasdan, Leigh Brackett, and Irvine Kirshner as it does Lucas himself. Because as great as Lucas did to create the Star Wars sandbox (even admitting that much of the work was basically cribbing a ton of ideas from stuff most of the general public of the time had never seen nor heard of), the auteur-type control he had over the prequel trilogy did little besides expose his flaws as a director and (especially) a writer.

The Hobbit trilogy is like a bad idea that was well executed.

The Star Wars prequels were more like a great idea that was terribly executed.

Reactions: Bandit

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Nothing tops (or goes lower than...)

Star Wars sand

tumblr_o38lwvayrj1us3ogyo1_250.gifv

I got bored through the second Hobbit movie and stopped watching. I enjoyed the first one well enough but the second one felt pointless the entire first hour or so.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Lord of the Rings trilogy is so much better then the Hobbit trilogy and the same thing between original made Star Wars trilogy and Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Prequels are usually worse because of the restrictions they have in what can be done and especially less well received because people know what happens later in the timeline.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
George Lucas was unquestionable and had total control over the prequels, creating the movies he wanted with no compromises. It turned that his vision was crap.

Peter Jackson on the other hand joined The Hobbit movies somewhat reluctantly and was short on time to prepare the movies, picking up the pieces left by Guillermo del Toro. He didn't get to spend years and years on pre-production like he did with the LOTR.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've still never seen any of the hobbit movies. I watched the LOTR trilogy and that was it.

The only other LOTR media I have ever consumed is those f***ING BADASS Playstation 2 gen games.

514FZMPR0XL.jpg

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The extensive CGI used by Lucas in prequels looks absolutely horrible now when watching it

Disney was smart to go back to a lot of practical effects and sets

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
And the SW sequels get the 2nd half of 2010s, so what happens in the 2020s.

I don't think the Disney era Star Wars films fits the same narrative personally, but, if the pattern is that the follow up to a massive blockbuster pales to the original, an attempt to reboot the Marvel Universe has the potential to do that.

Not sure if it'll happen any time soon or not, but it feels like there will inevitably be a point where people are saying the MCU isn't as good as it used to be.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think the Disney era Star Wars films fits the same narrative personally, but, if the pattern is that the follow up to a massive blockbuster pales to the original, an attempt to reboot the Marvel Universe has the potential to do that.

Not sure if it'll happen any time soon or not, but it feels like there will inevitably be a point where people are saying the MCU isn't as good as it used to be.
More so a bad joke at a Lord of the Rings reboot for the 2020s.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
More so a bad joke at a Lord of the Rings reboot for the 2020s.

Gotcha. Went over my head.

Although, as I think about it, I wonder what would have happened if Warner Brothers threw enough money at Nolan to make another DC trilogy.

It probably would have been good enough to avoid the reception that Snyder's received, but probably would have felt similar to the SW prequels/hobbit examples as poor imitations of superior work.

I think WB tried, so good on Nolan for avoiding that.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I've still never seen any of the hobbit movies. I watched the LOTR trilogy and that was it.

The only other LOTR media I have ever consumed is those ****ING BADASS Playstation 2 gen games.

514FZMPR0XL.jpg

Those were great - with the exception of The Fellowship game, that one was horrendous.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The extensive CGI used by Lucas in prequels looks absolutely horrible now when watching it

Disney was smart to go back to a lot of practical effects and sets

I bought the original Star Wars movies a few years ago on blu ray for my movie collection and they look ridiculous. Almost impossible to take seriously.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
While not as good as the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit movies were far from garbage.

1st half of the first movie is good. 2nd half isn't great.

2nd is bad.

3rd is absolutely unbearable.

A complete disaster of a trilogy, especially considering how consistent TLotR was.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I bought the original Star Wars movies a few years ago on blu ray for my movie collection and they look ridiculous. Almost impossible to take seriously.

While some of the practical effects show their age, they also allowed the movie to be filmed properly.

The Battle of Hoth remains an incredible achievement in terms of execution and still works well visually, same with the asteroid field. RotJ is really rough though, the Battle of Endor sticks out and not in a great way (but that movie was already very bad) and the speeder bike chase is now officially laughable.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
George Lucas was unquestionable and had total control over the prequels, creating the movies he wanted with no compromises. It turned that his vision was crap.

Peter Jackson on the other hand joined The Hobbit movies somewhat reluctantly and was short on time to prepare the movies, picking up the pieces left by Guillermo del Toro. He didn't get to spend years and years on pre-production like he did with the LOTR.

This is going back quite a few years but I seem to recall that it was Jackson's idea to make three Hobbit movies because they had so much footage. This means that it likely was his idea to make the tone of the Hobbit very similar to LotR's which is exactly why that trilogy is a disaster.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The original Star Wars and Lord of the Rings trilogies were landmark moments for cinema.

The following trilogies were absolute garbage.

Discusssssssss

The Hobbit was actually a decent story. The problem was that it was a much shorter story, and they stretched that small, good story into a droning trilogy because money.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This is going back quite a few years but I seem to recall that it was Jackson's idea to make three Hobbit movies because they had so much footage. This means that it likely was his idea to make the tone of the Hobbit very similar to LotR's which is exactly why that trilogy is a disaster.

I'm not sure when it was decided to makes it into 3 films, but it's worth noting that Jackson wasn't intending to direct. He took over after Guillermo Del Toro left due to delays in getting the film green lit as he had scheduling conflicts.

I would have been far more interested in a Guillermo Del Toro adaption.

Jackson was always a producer on the project, and I'm wondering if him going ahead with it had more to do if he had sunk costs involved at that point, and needed to take the helm just to see the project through.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad