1988-Edmonton Oilers over Boston Bruins
1987-Edmonton Oilers over Philadelphia Flyers
1986-Montreal Canadiens over Atlanta Flames

Fixed

Last edited:

yeah

Apr 11, 2010
Calgary
I think the Pittsburgh cup winning team would still be the Penguins who were added in the expansion.
Ignoring the Pirate's move to Philly (it was the owner's intention to move back to Pittsburgh after a new arena was built), they would have still had to fold because of the Great Depression. Unless for whatever reason Pittsburgh granted the Pirates a new arena, and the owners could somehow clear their $400000 USD debt.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/phlpit/pitpiratesnhl.html
http://www.pittsburghsportsreport.com/2008-Issues/psr0803/08030126.html

Or are we also not counting teams folding?

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Edmonton Oilers were preceded by the Edmonton Eskimos, Vancouver Canucks were preceded by the Vancouver Millionaires of the PCHA. Rhiladelphia Quakers who were the Pittsburgh Pirates preceded the Philadelphia Flyers in the NHL
Presumably the OP didn't use the Quakers since that would be the result of a relocation of the Pirates, and there's supposed to be no relocations here.

Incorrect. Those teams didn't relocate, their rosters were purchased by new NHL teams after they folded.
This is what we call a technicality. Heck, Detroit even used the nickname of the Victoria team (Cougars) for four seasons in the NHL.

Also, the Pirates franchise ended up folding anyway. You can't replace the Penguins with them.
You can do whatever you like in silly flights of fancy like this. There are no rules.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
This is what we call a technicality. Heck, Detroit even used the nickname of the Victoria team (Cougars) for four seasons in the NHL.

You don't see the fundamental difference between a team relocating and purchasing the roster of a team that just folded? The NHL purchased every player in the WCHL and distributed them, does that mean the NHL is really just the WCHL? The Red Wings and Blackhawks had already been founded before these deals went down.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
You don't see the fundamental difference between a team relocating and purchasing the roster of a team that just folded? The NHL purchased every player in the WCHL and distributed them, does that mean the NHL is really just the WCHL? The Red Wings and Blackhawks had already been founded before these deals went down.
I see the idea of a franchise in the modern sense as being anachronistic for the time period we're discussing.

Besides that, if I recall correctly the deals that the Detroit and Chicago teams made for their WHL players were seperate from the general purchase of player contracts.

When the Pittsburgh Pirates joined the NHL they brought their roster intact from the USAHA with one or two exceptions. The fact that it's the same team of players, to me, is more important than what a piece of paper might say about a "franchise." It was the same team, even if it might have technically been a new franchise. Reality over technicality.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
First thing that I notice which is wrong is that Quebec wouldn't have moved to the West without relocation. They played in East until 1995 - between 1993 and 1995 there was 14 teams in the East and 12 in the West.

The two-team difference was also in effect during 1999-2000 season in the middle of last four-team expansion which spanned for three years.

Huis Clos*

First thing that I notice which is wrong is that Quebec wouldn't have moved to the West without relocation. They played in East until 1995 - between 1993 and 1995 there was 14 teams in the East and 12 in the West.

The two-team difference was also in effect during 1999-2000 season in the middle of last four-team expansion which spanned for three years.

Doubtful they would have had Roy as well. Can't imagine Montreal sending him to a rival.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
You might want to allocate half the North Star wins to the Oakland Seals, since the North Stars were an amalgamation of the original North Stars and the Cleveland Barons (formerly the Seals).

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
how are the Pirates in any way related to the Penguins? The Pirates relocated in 1930 to Philadelphia, true, however the team folded, as in ceased to exist in 1936. The history of the Pittsburgh Pirates died in 1936. The Penguins have absolutely nothing in common with that franchise, and neither do the Flyers.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Also, the Hartford Whalers were originally the WHA's New England Whalers, playing in Boston. They were then relocated briefly to Springfield, I believe, and finally to Hartford in 1974. (They went back to Springfield again for half a season after the Civic Center roof caved in.) So really, if there had been no relocations, it would be the New England Whalers beating the Edmonton Oilers (or, maybe we should say, Alberta Oilers) at Boston Garden in 2006.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Also, the Hartford Whalers were originally the WHA's New England Whalers, playing in Boston. They were then relocated briefly to Springfield, I believe, and finally to Hartford in 1974. (They went back to Springfield again for half a season after the Civic Center roof caved in.) So really, if there had been no relocations, it would be the New England Whalers beating the Edmonton Oilers (or, maybe we should say, Alberta Oilers) at Boston Garden in 2006.

that's not really an issue of relocation. Hartford is considered part of the New England area.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
The team relocated from Boston to Hartford. So referring to them as the "Hartford" Whalers isn't really accurately reflecting their original situation. Hartford was actually the third city that they played in, if I'm recollecting the chronology of their time in Springfield, Mass., correctly (it's all so long ago!)

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The team relocated from Boston to Hartford. So referring to them as the "Hartford" Whalers isn't really accurately reflecting their original situation. Hartford was actually the third city that they played in, if I'm recollecting the chronology of their time in Springfield, Mass., correctly (it's all so long ago!)

Hartford-Springfield is considered the same place. They share an airport and are a single metro area. I'll give you Boston, but Springfield I won't.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Yeah I know the Scouts and Nords don't add up, it's just funny to think of it this way.

Plus I'd have to make assumptions on who the Scouts and Nords would have faced from the opposing conference.

Good call on the Cougars though, completely forgot bout that one.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Hartford-Springfield is considered the same place. They share an airport and are a single metro area. I'll give you Boston, but Springfield I won't.

Hartford and Springfield are only 1/2 hr from each other but light years in difference of character.

My stepfather had NE Whalers season tickets at the old Boston Garden and my dad also bought tickets for some games, (it was next to impossible to get a Bruins ticket in those days), so I have a soft spot for Carolina.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Hartford and Springfield are only 1/2 hr from each other but light years in difference of character.

My stepfather had NE Whalers season tickets at the old Boston Garden and my dad also bought tickets for some games, (it was next to impossible to get a Bruins ticket in those days), so I have a soft spot for Carolina.

Not only were the NE Whalers crammed into the old Boston Garden with the Bruins and the Celtics, but the Bruins AHL farm team, The Boston Braves, also played there. Saw Terry O'Reilly play against Larry Robinson's Nova Scotia Voyageurs there...I still have the program. Future Bruin heart breaker Yvon Lambert played on the same team.

mpleafan

Jul 7, 2010
well, toronto maple leafs were originally the toronto st pats... o wait that dosent matter here. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad