News Article: The Hidden Potential of the 3-6 New York Rangers

KreiMeARiver*

If anyone thinks this is a good article... WOW

Any idiot could write this. I can't stand that site.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Everyone *****ing at each other in this thread is hilarious. Who cares about the article. This team sucks. Even when they're all healthy, they're nothing more than a 6-8 seed.

Look at our HEALTHY forward group and compare it to elite teams in the league (SJ, BOS, PIT, LA, STL). Speed and finish wins games today. It's not really a surprise that teams are going faster and bigger. The only thing surprising about that is why we remain smaller and slower (Richards = slow, Pyatt = time warp slow, Zuccarello is the opposite of size). Goaltending and defense is great but almost all the teams that have been competitive in the playoffs the last 5 years have had serious elite talent at forward. Teams like CHI and PIT that both won the cup have proven that you don't need ELITE goaltending to win, just above average. At the same time, the majority of those teams have also tanked absurd amounts of times (CHI and PIT, I'm looking at you)to get that elite talent and there's something to be said about that but that's a whole different thread.

I refuse to be disappointed this season because I have no expectations of this team because on paper, they just don't stack up to the rest of the league. I can only be surprised. I suggest some of you take a chill pill, stop ranting on each other and do the same because it's not happening for us this year boys

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
It's basically the same three posters in every thread disagreeing with and skewing everything in whatever way they can to fit their agenda.

When he compares them to the Kings and Bruins he isn't doing it based on talent. He's simply stating that good teams tend to have poor stretches as well. It's not that hard to figure out. It just goes to show how biased people are stupid here. If it's possible to misinterpret something in a way that helps their argument you can guarantee they will, and when it's explained to them they will just call or whoever took the time to actually read and comprehend said article for being a fanboy or lacking intellect.

Good teams go through bad stretches too. That argument can be used to say that Buffalo, Edmonton, and Florida are just good teams going through a bad stretch too. And guess what? Bad teams also go through bad stretches. So maybe we're actually bad and that's why we've been bad.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Good teams go through bad stretches too. That argument can be used to say that Buffalo, Edmonton, and Florida are just good teams going through a bad stretch too. And guess what? Bad teams also go through bad stretches. So maybe we're actually bad and that's why we've been bad.
And if someone were to explain using evidence why they may be good teams in bad stretches instead of a bad teams in bad stretches I may consider that.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
And if someone were to explain using evidence why they may be good teams in bad stretches instead of a bad teams in bad stretches I may consider that.

Right. And I dont think anyone can even make that assessment until we get some bodies back - or, better yet, the anticipated lineup on the ice all at the same time.

I will say this, I think the depth will continue to be an issue going forward regardless of what happens -- although Kreider and Miller showed a pulse last night.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Uhhh what? Maybe you are unable to glean anything from my post so you just assume I didn't understand yours.

Let me spell it out for you. CNN lying to their viewers on a coporate controlled T.V. network is not the same as someone writing an article for a lowly sports website. Stop attacking the source. Attack the content. Questioning the credibility of the article because the site is now owned by AOL Time-Warner is ridiculous. This isn't world affairs, it's a sports team. Is that clear enough for you?

Do you actually try to sound as hipster-ish as possible? Congratulations, your condescension is apparent. Have you written any hockey-analysis articles lately? If the answer to that question is yes, please PM them to me.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

Blasphemy. Why use logic instead of irrational bias? What are you some sort of think for your selfer?

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009

Blasphemy. Why use logic instead of irrational bias? What are you some sort of think for your selfer?

Get off the internet for a 2.5 hour block of time, and watch a game.

Holy ****, you think it's irrational to be down on this "team"? Seriously, have you watched a game? A period? A shift?

Explain it. It's ****ing right in front of you. It's the team's play. It's literally the most common denominator already. Back over the offseason when we fired torts, back when we made the nash trade, back then I explained why I thought the team was going to be worse. Well, that's all done the product is here and it's right in front of you for consumption if you ever decide to open your eyes or hell just look at the damn standings, look at our NHL worst goal differential.

This idea that the default opinion is that this is a good hockey team, and the idea that it will be bad has to be proven is ass ****ing backwards. By any objective standard this hasn't just been a bad but a challenger for the worst hockey team in the league.

Injuries happen. Maybe the fact that we gutted out depth for a now concussion-prone kitty cat wasn't such a good move after all. Don't put all your eggs on one basket, and all that. And don't ****ing kid yourself, we looked like excrement before he left the lineup. And he personally looked like excrement before he left the lineup dating back to the playoffs. And this team looked like crap ever since torts walked out the door, preseason wasn't just ugly on a record basis but the play reflected it too.

All you apologists have to get over yourselves. You were dead wrong when you liked the Nash trade. You were dead wrong when you wanted Torts gone. Because you got what you wanted we suck now. Deal with it.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
All you apologists have to get over yourselves. You were dead wrong when you liked the Nash trade. You were dead wrong when you wanted Torts gone. Because you got what you wanted we suck now. Deal with it.

Simple question: would this team be a contender for the Cup if Torts was still here?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Holy ****, you think it's irrational to be down on this "team"? Seriously, have you watched a game? A period? A shift?

Explain it. It's ****ing right in front of you. It's the team's play. It's literally the most common denominator already. Back over the offseason when we fired torts, back when we made the nash trade, back then I explained why I thought the team was going to be worse. Well, that's all done the product is here and it's right in front of you for consumption if you ever decide to open your eyes or hell just look at the damn standings, look at our NHL worst goal differential.

This idea that the default opinion is that this is a good hockey team, and the idea that it will be bad has to be proven is ass ****ing backwards. By any objective standard this hasn't just been a bad but a challenger for the worst hockey team in the league.

Injuries happen. Maybe the fact that we gutted out depth for a now concussion-prone kitty cat wasn't such a good move after all. Don't put all your eggs on one basket, and all that. And don't ****ing kid yourself, we looked like excrement before he left the lineup. And he personally looked like excrement before he left the lineup dating back to the playoffs. And this team looked like crap ever since torts walked out the door, preseason wasn't just ugly on a record basis but the play reflected it too.

Had we not done the Nash trade, would we be better off right now? Say Gaborik was hurt along with Callahan and Hagelin. Would Anisimov and Dubinsky make a huge difference? Keeping in mind we'd be without Brassard. I'm not sure we'd be any better off. Not by any significant margin, anyway.

Would Torts make a difference? Who knows. We had some pretty putrid stretches under his watch as well.

I understand your points and certainly the sentiment. I can't say you're wrong, though I can't say you're right, either.

I think if anything has set the team back, it's the constant roster turnover. Not one or two particular moves.

Still thinking this team turns it around. I could be wrong and you could be 100 percent correct. It's too early to speak in definitives though.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Kel Varnsen said:

Kel I can't take you off ignore since I can't go to User CP because I got a mountain of infractions for being an ass hat. I know that's directed at me because I saw it before I logged back in.

I'll say a few things. First of all don't make stupid assumptions and asinine statements, I'm rarely actually online as I have a family and full time job. I also watch every game, beginning to end even the blow outs, believe it or not.

There is a difference between being a realist and being an apologist. Realistically as this article stated several aspects of our team have been beyond bad. Like inexplicably bad. Hank not being able to stop a puck, Girardi, McDonagh, and Staal forgetting how to play defense, half our players taking ridiculous penalties and acting like their heads were up their *****. Those things won't continue. If you think they will I am sorry to say but it's you who doesn't know what he's talking about.

We're not the most talented team, no one is arguing that. I have said multiple times we lack finish and a majority of our players have some warts. But when the team is healthy and we get contributions from players like Kreider as we have been lately who we all thought should be ready and he wasn't the holes are less glaring. We could still use another finisher, we could still use a shot from the point, but right now our team should be performing better than it is, because as much as you want to believe it these aren't the worst players in the history of hockey.

We had 5 abysmal games to start the season I'd say and 2-3 ok games and 3 good games. It's what I saw during the good games that makes me believe this team can and will play better on a consistent basis. It's what you saw during the brutal games that led you to your conclusion. What I will say is that I'm unwilling to judge a product by a small sample size and that's exactly what 10 games (11 as I type this) is. Apparently you're not, but that's your prerogative.

As I have said before you laid your cards out there a long time ago, so it's really easy to know exactly what you're going to say illustrated by the Montreal PGT where you posted 3 times in the first two pages with really constructive posts like "this team sucks", "this coach sucks" and "2013-2014 Team Motto: Excuses". Really? I'm not stalking you either I browsed that thread earlier before logging in and laughed at your posts. They stuck in my head.

The kicker is I never said you were being irrational, it was directed at other people's responses, because I can't even see yours most of the time unless I am on my phone and not logged in.

As far as Nash is concerned, he has 45 points in 51gp, I've already admitted his PO performance was lacking. I won't stubbornly sit by and argue it wasn't unlike you who will sit by and say he doesn't make the team any better. He's been our best forward and without him we don't make the PO's last year. As far as being concussion prone, I'm sorry but 90% of players in the league get a concussion from that hit. So again you're overreacting.

The people who need to get over themselves are the ones like you who after a rough start to the season decide they are going to proclaim how right they were about everything. I'm sorry you weren't and we won't know who was right and wrong for months, maybe even longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad