News Article: The Hidden Potential of the 3-6 New York Rangers

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Let's take a look at the post:

And you conveniently left out the part where for every part, he analyzes his point and gives evidence and reasoning for his thoughts. And it actually makes sense, especially if you have an understanding of the statistics he's taking about.

Doesn't seem like the "fanboy" type of blog post that you so badly want to characterize it as.

And for some reason, you don't provide reasons as to why they are "laughable" quotes. And somehow, you are questioning what Vollman wrote despite this?

If you need that explained to you, then I'll have to start not just with the basic concepts of hockey, but the basic workings of the world we all live in. I'd prefer not to do that. It will take a really long time.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
If you need that explained to you, then I'll have to start not just with the basic concepts of hockey, but the basic workings of the world we all live in. I'd prefer not to do that. It will take a really long time.

Then go on, explain. This is a discussion board, after all.

EDIT: Although if you had to go to the point of insulting my intelligence, I'm not exactly sure if you're even interested in doing so.

Last edited:

Cake or Death

Then go on, explain. This is a discussion board, after all.

You're wasting your time. Well, unless you want non-explained, fairly constant negative comments, with condescending personal attacks and no real explanation from a guy who thinks Torts' PP, transition game, and three forwards behind the net with no one in front is solid hockey. Wonder what his story will be at the end of the season when the Rangers are in the playoffs and Vancouver isn't. Vancouver has had a pretty soft schedule thus far and are like 2-4 against teams over .500

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You're wasting your time. Well, unless you want non-explained, fairly constant negative comments, with condescending personal attacks and no real explanation from a guy who thinks Torts' PP, transition game, and three forwards behind the net with no one in front is solid hockey. Wonder what his story will be at the end of the season when the Rangers are in the playoffs and Vancouver isn't. Vancouver has had a pretty soft schedule thus far and are like 2-4 against teams over .500

You were rational in the first part, but where the evidence for Vancouver missing the playoffs comes from is a mystery.

Declaring the Rangers as a playoff team and Vancouver not a playoff team based on the current evidence, is nothing more than wishing and hoping. It could become a reality, but so could the Islanders winning the Cup.

Reminds me of the genius who declared that Colorado would fall out of the playoff race by February and that he would bet on it. I offered to take the bet, but never heard back from him.

ocarina

May 23, 2009

I figured, but I want to leave the door open for him if he changes his mind. It's only fair.

Cake or Death

You were rational in the first part, but where the evidence for Vancouver missing the playoffs comes from is a mystery.

Declaring the Rangers as a playoff team and Vancouver not a playoff team based on the current evidence, is nothing more than wishing and hoping. It could become a reality, but so could the Islanders winning the Cup.

Reminds me of the genius who declared that Colorado would fall out of the playoff race by February and that he would bet on it. I offered to take the bet, but never heard back from him.

For sure it's hopeful, but I'm laying down about as much evidence as Kel usually does. Even still, watching Vancouver play against over .500 teams, they have not looked particularly impressive to me. Their scoring drops significantly and they're allowing nearly 4 goals a game. Would it shock me if they made the playoffs? Not at all. But I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 9th or 10th either.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I do not write for Bleacher Report. I would very rarely read Bleacher Report until they recruited some high profile talent. My brain works in such a way that it can think one thing, and then think a completely different way when the circumstances change.

Oh, and apparently Vollman is a Ranger fanboy? I don't believe he is a Ranger fan...

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
That site has less talent than the current group of Rangers forwards.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
That site has less talent than the current group of Rangers forwards.
1312044038265.gif

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Why are some of you guys whining? It wasn't a bad article.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I usually don't read the bleacher report, but seeing who the author is, I read it.
Robert Vollman is legit

Vollman's most popular innovations include Player Usage Charts to see how players are being used, Quality Starts for goaltenders, Goals Versus Salary (GVS) to measure a player's cap value, his history-based projection systems (code named Snepsts67), his new Passes statistics, and advances in the field of NHL Translations and League Equivalencies to understand how well players coming from other leagues will perform.

Rob Vollman's analysis can be found regularly at Hockey Prospectus, Bleacher Report and ESPN Insider, and heard as a radio guest on such shows as Hockey Night in Canada on SiriusXM, Nashville 102.5 The Game and Edmonton AM 1260's Lowetide at High Noon.

It also made me look into bleacher report a little closer. They are now the Sports content provider for CNN sports, I didn't know what.
Another element to Turner's acquisition of Bleacher Report is the partnerships within Turner and Time Warner and more specifically, Sports Illustrated's lengthy relationship with CNN. Beginning in February, CNN's sports content will be provided by Bleacher Report instead of Sports Illustrated. If you go to CNN.com and try to access Sports Illustrated, you are met with this page telling you CNN Sports is changing soon. Visitors are informed of the following:

"Starting in February, CNN Sports will be provided by Bleacher Report.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Being associated with CNN should help legitimize that site...

CAlvjrM.gif

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
lol

Have fun receiving your in-depth analysis from Bleacher Report articles.

While you're at it, make sure to let the rest of us know if Eklund mentions any Rangers trade rumors over at hockeybuzz.

Do you actually try to sound as hipster-ish as possible? Congratulations, your condescension is apparent. What hockey-analysis articles have you written lately? Oh... zero? Zero articles... nice.

I didn't even read the article.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Congratulations, your condescension is apparent.

After looking through your previous posts, your condescension is even more apparent than mine!

I think what you meant to say was, "I can't think." Usually you learn how to think critically in grade-school/high-school as well as throughout the course of events in your life... but it's okay if you're not there yet.

Congratulations. :handclap:

Since you're posting in this thread, do you have anything to say about the article? Or will you just continue to go from thread to thread attacking other posters personally?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Being associated with CNN should help legitimize that site...

CAlvjrM.gif

Yeah because shaping people's opinions about the world around them and covering a sports team are so incredibly similar. Obviously the shadow government controlling the media wants us to believe the Rangers aren't a bad team. Brainwashing!

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I stopped reading after the guy said it's not a stretch to compare this team to LA's Cup team and last year's Boston team. Just another person who doesn't see things for what they truly are

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Yeah because shaping people's opinions about the world around them and covering a sports team are so incredibly similar. Obviously the shadow government controlling the media wants us to believe the Rangers aren't a bad team. Brainwashing!

Uhhh what? Maybe gifs don't work on your computer?

That's two CNN correspondents standing in the same parking lot while pretending to be in two different locations.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
I stopped reading after the guy said it's not a stretch to compare this team to LA's Cup team and last year's Boston team. Just another person who doesn't see things for what they truly are

How is it a stretch? LA struggled for much of their cup-winning season during the early parts, despite being considered one of the favorites like the Rangers are.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Uhhh what? Maybe gifs don't work on your computer?

That's two CNN correspondents standing in the same parking lot while pretending to be in two different locations.

Uhhh what? Maybe you are unable to glean anything from my post so you just assume I didn't understand yours.

Let me spell it out for you. CNN lying to their viewers on a coporate controlled T.V. network is not the same as someone writing an article for a lowly sports website. Stop attacking the source. Attack the content. Questioning the credibility of the article because the site is now owned by AOL Time-Warner is ridiculous. This isn't world affairs, it's a sports team. Is that clear enough for you?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
It's basically the same three posters in every thread disagreeing with and skewing everything in whatever way they can to fit their agenda.

When he compares them to the Kings and Bruins he isn't doing it based on talent. He's simply stating that good teams tend to have poor stretches as well. It's not that hard to figure out. It just goes to show how biased people are stupid here. If it's possible to misinterpret something in a way that helps their argument you can guarantee they will, and when it's explained to them they will just call or whoever took the time to actually read and comprehend said article for being a fanboy or lacking intellect.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
How is it a stretch? LA struggled for much of their cup-winning season during the early parts, despite being considered one of the favorites like the Rangers are.

Because this team doesn't have a Kopitar, a Doughty, or even the players to add a Richards and Carter.

Thesensation19*

Good read, and I think injuries followed by the poor start for Henrik definitely hit this team the hardest. I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet, however. This team still needs to prove the road-trip was a fluke and a very good example of Murphy's law rather than a team that's better looking on paper than the ice.

The one thing that isn't explained away by that article is the complete lack of effort and fire at times. There is no excuse for some of the apathy we saw during a few games.

Once again.. The goalie will always get blamed when the people in front of him allow high quality scoring opportunituies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->