The hawks PK

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I was probably Frolik's biggest backer last season and most vocal critic about trading him. He wasn't some penalty killing god that made an average team great on the PK.

The energy created was indeed infectious. At the end of last season we also had Zeus taking some big draws and immediately going to the bench. I don't expect to see that too often over this full length season.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Weren't you complaining about how we couldn't win a faceoff all last year? Nothing's changed their and our PK is much less aggressive.
Or maybe it's been two games and coming to any clear concise conclusions at this point is tantamount to crediting Bollig as a forty goal scorer.

So That makes it okay then?

In the first 2 games the team has been too passive on the PK, which compounds the impact of losing the majority of draws in our end. Hence getting pinned in our end which also makes it impossible to execute those 20 second shifts that we effectively employed last season. The snow ball effect.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
So That makes it okay then?

In the first 2 games the team has been too passive on the PK, which compounds the impact of losing the majority of draws in our end. Hence getting pinned in our end which also makes it impossible to execute those 20 second shifts that we effectively employed last season. The snow ball effect.

Did I say that? Of course not. But this board's willingness to jump on faceoffs when the clear issue is an extremely passive pk is ridiculous. We have the same guys taking draws as last year with a full year of Handzus. We should be better on draws.

There is no snowball effect. There's just effect.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The energy created was indeed infectious. At the end of last season we also had Zeus taking some big draws and immediately going to the bench. I don't expect to see that too often over this full length season.

I know you don't like Kruger but the fact he was one of the biggest parts of a great PK last year was all Frolik?

Wow.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
Just felt like pointing out that the Jets (current home of Frolik the PK overlord) have allowed 4 goals in 10 times short-handed.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Meanwhile Frolik and Bolland are off to good starts with their new teams.... just sayin'

Personally I'm hoping Danault is up here before long. I liked what I saw from him (without the puck especially) in pre-season.

Pirri 2nd line, Handzus to the 4th line, and Morin in place of Bollig. Stick them in early in the season, and they'll be (bigger) contributors by the end of the season. Not sold on Nordstrom. Danault, while the obvious future 3C or 4C, might need a full season in the AHL.

The Hawks are not going to miss the playoffs, and the Stanley Cup isn't won in October or November. Now is the time to experiment.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Two games in and we're already revising history to say Kruger was bad on the PK last year.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Two games in and we're already revising history to say Kruger was bad on the PK last year.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long.

No one said that but you ... but it certainly seems more a case of "along for the ride". It was almost always Frolik who led the way. And as I alluded to earlier, that tandem was able to play short shifts as a result of disrupting the flow of the ops. That disruption has been non-existent in the first 2 games, so they get stuck out there.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
No one said that but you ... but it certainly seems more a case of "along for the ride". It was almost always Frolik who led the way. And as I alluded to earlier, that tandem was able to play short shifts as a result of disrupting the flow of the ops. That disruption has been non-existent in the first 2 games, so they get stuck out there.

Ah yes, that just sounds so much better.

He wasn't "bad", he just deserves pretty much zero credit because he was along for the ride and it was almost always Frolik who led the way.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Kruger is simply a passive hockey player. He fits right into the system we are deploying currently.... and it ain't working. If we don't get some aggression on the PK we better get used to having a mediocre record short handed.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Kruger is simply a passive hockey player. He fits right into the system we are deploying currently.... and it ain't working. If we don't get some aggression on the PK we better get used to having a mediocre record short handed.

So Kruger is playing exactly how the coaches are telling him to play and that's his fault?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

So Kruger is playing exactly how the coaches are telling him to play and that's his fault?

No! It's a passive player in a passive system and it's not working. If the system becomes aggressive, Kruger doesn't fit the system (at least not without an aggressive teammate).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
No! It's a passive player in a passive system and it's not working. If the system becomes aggressive, Kruger doesn't fit the system (at least not without an aggressive teammate).

Right, because you guys haven't won the cup two times in the last four years or anything.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Try rooting for the Islanders. You guys are always, ALWAYS, looking for things wrong. The season just started, holy ****!

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

Ignoring obvious quips about sample sizes and Cup rings, you just said the same thing as BobbyJet in different words.

Kruger is playing exactly the way the coaches want him to play. If you've got a problem with that, blame the coaches.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Meanwhile Frolik and Bolland are off to good starts with their new teams.... just sayin'

Personally I'm hoping Danault is up here before long. I liked what I saw from him (without the puck especially) in pre-season.

in hockey, it's all about a hot start to the season and win the first 5 games playing good there :yo:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Ignoring obvious quips about sample sizes and Cup rings, you just said the same thing as BobbyJet in different words.

Kruger is playing exactly the way the coaches want him to play. If you've got a problem with that, blame the coaches.

They can not ask of him what he doesn't have to offer. That is why I have a problem when they ask him to play 2C.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
They can not ask of him what he doesn't have to offer. That is why I have a problem when they ask him to play 2C.

Funny, because even though he couldn't play 2C, they still asked him to. But now they can't ask when it comes to being aggressive on the PK?

Again, it's not the player's fault that he's doing exactly what the coaches are telling him to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad