The hawks have 3 Years

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
What do you think? Is there a window? I think the hawks have 3 years of their core + Kirby. After that, they may struggle. This fortunate playoff birth was an amazing step for our young players.

That being said. In my opinion, Saad needs to go. He barely shoots the puck unless he’s a foot from the net. Where’s the wrister?

I’m not giving up on Boqvist, but he seemed banged up, slow, and tentative. Wasn’t composed on many plays. He’s young, so I hope his instincts reveal themselves as his confidence grows.

Kirby is the real deal. I’ve seen enough to say he’s something special. His strength and conditioning have improved so much in months imagine next season! I was really impressed.

Highmore earned his role, so did Kampf. They are keepers on the 3/4th line.

I felt Maata had a really good playoffs. He seemed like he won a lot of battles and made some good plays when Vegas was overwhelming the hawks behind their own net (which they did all series).

Reactions: coolhand

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
For Keith the window is closing but with Toews/Kane I think they have longer

In 3 years when contracts are up I still expect them to be quality players (But declining) and stay with Hawks. That means there is potential for them to have another cup run or two ala what Wings got from some of there vets in 08/09 who went from being big parts of 90's/early 00 success to being role/depth players around new core

Biggest things for Hawks going forward is our young defenders development and finding stable goaltending longterm to replace Crawford

If both those go well Hawks window should be back open soon , If our young D falter and G becomes chronic problem then window will slam shut

Reactions: x Tame Impala

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Was a series win worth the possible chance to draft Askarov?

Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy it.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This team won’t win another cup till Toews, Kane, Seabrook, all the junk contracts off the books and Kane/Toews take cheap deals to try to win another one, and the team gets lucky with another player or two at the draft, get a guy like Stone, etc. Lots of things have to land right.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I kinda feel the opposite. The team has a few years of mediocrity before the new window can open. Gotta ride out some junk contracts, trade good players in their 26-30 window for futures, keep this viable euro scouting pipeline churning, and have some of our youngsters lead the charge towards contention. Keith I don’t think think is winning another cup as a Hawk unless he’s in his forties. It’ll take a promising kid blowing way past his ceiling or two in the next few years and turning into a star/stars. Kane might be great in his mid to late thirties. I think Toews will at least be good.

The covid flat cap and the Seabrook contract are anchors that hold back the immediate promise. It is what it is.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I kinda feel the opposite. The team has a few years of mediocrity before the new window can open. Gotta ride out some junk contracts, trade good players in their 26-30 window for futures, keep this viable euro scouting pipeline churning, and have some of our youngsters lead the charge towards contention. Keith I don’t think think is winning another cup as a Hawk unless he’s in his forties. It’ll take a promising kid blowing way past his ceiling or two in the next few years and turning into a star/stars. Kane might be great in his mid to late thirties. I think Toews will at least be good.

The covid flat cap and the Seabrook contract are anchors that hold back the immediate promise. It is what it is.
Excellent post

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017

Yeah. We are beyond fortunate that the cap is flat and not decreasing. We'll be dealing with 81.5 million until Seattle is in the league. It's basically dealing with 2017-2018's cap when you factor in Seabrook's hit.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Yeah I'm here.
They're going to be stuck in the bubble area for the foreseeable future.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Hmm.

I don't think our best players are as dominant as they once were. Still great, but they don't have the ability to own 5v5 play against any competition the way they used to and that includes the loss of Hossa. Used to be when Kane/Toews/Keith were on the ice the other team barely saw the puck, now they're having to battle hard in all zones rather than being a half step ahead of the league.

We're in a cluster**** right now with no team identity and it will take some miracle moves to put the team back in contention. That's rare, last one I can think of is when the Kings got Carter/Richards because the Philly GM was a joker. We need that level of an addition to be a dominant team.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Hmm.

I don't think our best players are as dominant as they once were. Still great, but they don't have the ability to own 5v5 play against any competition the way they used to and that includes the loss of Hossa. Used to be when Kane/Toews/Keith were on the ice the other team barely saw the puck, now they're having to battle hard in all zones rather than being a half step ahead of the league.

We're in a cluster**** right now with no team identity and it will take some miracle moves to put the team back in contention. That's rare, last one I can think of is when the Kings got Carter/Richards because the Philly GM was a joker. We need that level of an addition to be a dominant team.
tbf about Richards, the Flyers did get Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn back

Reactions: Naster Okan

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Philly got Voracek and the pick that turned into Sean Couturier for Carter and that was from Columbus, not LA.

Last edited:

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Well at least the Hawks pushed the Knights and were competitive. I see the Canucks got blasted 5-0 game 1

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Window? What window? Championship window closed in the first round in 2016. Team has been crap ever since and hasn't even cracked the playoffs. Don't you have to be a contender in order to have a window?

In fact, they should have traded Kane 3 years ago when it obvious they weren't going anywhere, and the Hawks would now have an additional young franchise player or two. I doubt he could land any now. Keith/Toews sure aren't going to.

Now it's just years and years of finishing outside the playoffs.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
In fact, they should have traded Kane 3 years ago when it obvious they weren't going anywhere, and the Hawks would now have an additional young franchise player or two. I doubt he could land any now. Keith/Toews sure aren't going to.

tenor.gif

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
The window is closed as long as the old regime is still on the ice. Need the 7 contract gone for starters. Second, what dollar amount in 3 years do you think T&K sign for in 3 years? Less? That sounds kind of like a pipe dream. For us on the outside it is obvious. But if Stan is still here they will each fetch $10MM and we will still wallow in mediocrity.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The window is closed as long as the old regime is still on the ice. Need the 7 contract gone for starters. Second, what dollar amount in 3 years do you think T&K sign for in 3 years? Less? That sounds kind of like a pipe dream. For us on the outside it is obvious. But if Stan is still here they will each fetch $10MM and we will still wallow in mediocrity.

Toews & Kane in 3 years will be less should they want to resign. Just guessing marleau and thornton contract références around the age of 35,36. 3 years $21.0 million $7.0 million aav.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If the Hawks fired Colliton and hired Laviolette tomorrow, I think they could move up to the 2nd tier in the west behind Colorado and Vegas.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Its not just a case of the old regime off the roster, its a case of replacing the old regime with great players. You can’t just dump these guys and replace them with mediocrity, they have to be replaced with great players. They have all slipped (Kane not as much) and do not have the ability to carry a team. It took great players complimenting them to win cups, its going to take a major overhaul with all the right moves to get back to contention. A tall order, a slow order, and one I don’t think Bowman should get the long term chance to do after the last 3 seasons.

Regarding a new coach, it would be great and certainly an upgrade but to think a new coach is going to change this roster into a quality playoff team is too high expectations. We need a new coach at some point but more than that we need a much better roster. We let go of a hall of fame coach who couldn’t do it anymore without the horses, are these vet coaches mentioned really better than Q? I said Q needed to go and we needed fresh direction but to think these vet coaches mentioned are automatically going to do better than the second winningest coach in NHL history did? Forget Colliton, he is trash. I am happy to replace him but if it happened I would still not raise my expectations too much because of the roster.

Colliton is a problem, the roster is the biggest problem.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Well at least the Hawks pushed the Knights and were competitive. I see the Canucks got blasted 5-0 game 1
This is why I diddnt really get a lot of the super negative reactions about the Vegas series. I don’t think some people realize how good and f***ing deep that Vegas team is. They were my pick to win the cup before the playoffs started and nothing’s changed. No shame in losing to Vegas in 5 when every game was close.

I think some opinions are gonna change in the coming weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->