Online Series: The Haunting of Hill House

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Peasy, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Peasy

Peasy apple CORes = SOFT

Has anyone else checked out this Netflix series?

Just finished it. I really enjoyed it. A top notch horror series.

2. Cor

Cor Most Likes Received By HFW Poster - 2018

It ain't easy bein peasy

3. Burnoutboi

Burnoutboi Registered User

This show was being discussed in the Netflix thread.

That being said, I loved it. Maybe the finale wasn’t quite what I was expecting, but I found the series as a whole was very impressive. They did a great job making us care about the Craine family.

4. HawksFan74

HawksFan74 Tread Lightly

Good series for sure. You have some of the cheap scares but there is a ton of depth to the characters and the overall story. There are a few really creepy moments in it, no doubt.

the last two episodes kind of dragged for me and some strange moments throughout the series. The entire family was seeing stuff at one point or another but easily dismissed each other's experiences for other reasons. When the father nearly cut off half his hand he just bandaged it??? I loved how they kept going back and showing you what actually happened vs perception

5. ScottishCanuck

ScottishCanuck Registered User

I usually try to avoid making comment before I've had time to reflect on a series, but I'm going to go ahead and say that this was the best piece of television that I've seen in a long time. Great writing, good character development and a genuinely chilling storyline. Loved it.

6. Pierce Hawthorne

Pierce Hawthorne Formerly Avsare1

God damn what a series.

Just finished it. That last episode.... Right in the feels.

7. ghostnights

ghostnights Registered User

Student
    Fave Netflix original in quite some time . Aspects of all the characters were relatable

8. Syckle78

Syckle78 Registered User

BS artist
    I also thought it was excellent. Not really a fan of the genre. Only turned it on out if pure boredom and was hooked from the get go. Ended up watching it all in two sittings.

9. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered User

I finished watching today. The series was nowhere on my radar until I read some positive feedback in here. It's easy to be dismissive about another haunted house story. So glad I checked this one out. What a satisfying journey. Ten episodes gave the story and characters lots of room to breathe. It took me two or three episodes to get my bearings and keep track of who was who, especially when time jumping. The time jumps are well executed, particularly when revisiting scenes several episodes later to connect a few dots.

The finale dragged a little. There were a few too many monologues for my liking, but this is among minor gripes I have with the series.

The set pieces are excellent. Casting is solid. I didn't immediately recognize Henry Thomas of E.T. fame, who I hadn't seen in years. It was fun watching him again. Young Theo also looked familiar, but I couldn't place her until I googled and remembered her from "Gifted". A mix of familiar and fresh faces made for a strong ensemble cast.

Below may be a bit spoilerish, so I've edited just in case...
    Nell was a very sympathetic character. "Bent Neck Lady" was my perhaps my favorite episode. It was a real downer though. Its ending stayed with me for awhile. I felt for her character the whole series.

It was clever how Abigail's character was introduced.

The series isn't outright scary, but sustains an effective creep factor throughout and keeps you feeling unsettled. The drama itself and the relationship among the family members is the show's greatest strength. It's worth watching.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    montreal and Tuggy like this.
  10. Jovavic

Jovavic RIP HFPoli board

Adult Steve was Daario on Game of Thrones and adult Theo is a total smokeshow

11. Tuggy

Tuggy Registered User

Finished the series yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a horror series but it's also an excellent drama. You really learn all the characters and the time jumping is handled really well.

My only compliant is probably the last 10 minutes of the finale. I guess I wasn't expecting a "happy ending". I kept expecting something sinister to happen, like this was all in Steve's head.

Well said and I echo all these points. That episode was also my favorite and I really felt for Nell.

Mimsy likes this.
  12. jasonleaffan

jasonleaffan Registered User

I watched this all in one day yesterday. Still confused on the fact that was this a movie about ghosts or mental health issues? Still a great piece of television though.

13. Schenn

Schenn In Rod We Trust Sponsor

I've been seeing a lot of people a little upset by the tone of the ending of the season. I have a funny feeling that the ending will prove to be much more sinister in season 2. I'm not sure how, but I feel Steve's perspective could potentially shift given new information or something.

Also that was incredible.

14. jasonleaffan

jasonleaffan Registered User

Has a season 2 been confirmed? I thought it was just a one off.

I'm going to buy the book later this week.

15. Schenn

Schenn In Rod We Trust Sponsor

Nothing confirmed but I think there will be.

16. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered User

FYI: the novel differs pretty significantly from Flanagan's Netflix series. The original film, "The Haunting" (1963), is a more faithful adaptation. An additional FYI: I've never read the book, so there's that....

I'm okay with the series finale, even though I understand people taking issue with the ending.
    Had the house consumed the entire family, it might have been more impactful and in keeping with its punishing nature, but I welcomed an infusion of hope. Nell getting a somewhat happy ending after a lifetime of torment felt better than the gut punch I was maybe(?) anticipating. I'm a bit torn on this one.

I'm also not sure how I would have have felt about an "all in Steven's head" finale. This could have worked well with the black mold story being more fleshed out. The Red Room was especially filled with mold, so it would have added weight to explaining the family's shared psychoses outside of their paranormal experiences.

Season one wrapped up with a bow. I wonder if a potential second season would introduce new occupants to Hill House or find new ways to antagonize the Crains? I'm open to more installments if they're as well made as the first, but the series ended with a sense of closure for the Crains. Not sure I'd want to mess with that.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  17. Burnoutboi

Burnoutboi Registered User

I don’t think there’s a need to make a second season. They wrapped things up nicely.

All Might and Mimsy like this.
  18. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered User

A second season seems unnecessary, but apparently one of the actors hinted at the possibility, depending on how the current season fares. The more I think on it, the less I want to follow the continuing adventures of the Crains. Let them rest.

If there is a second season, it has to focus on the house as an entity and find new ways to haunt someone else. The concept could get stale really fast.

Burnoutboi likes this.
  19. 50 Sheas of Grey

50 Sheas of Grey Pettersson for Selke

Yeah, it really depends on the angle they take for a second season.

They could go the American Horror Story route and have a completely different storyline and characters, but keep the cast in tact.

Mimsy likes this.
  20. Steve Varlamov

Steve Varlamov Registered User Sponsor

Business Boy
    Just finished it. What a gem of a show. This series shows off what horror can be, and stands as a pillar for what horror shows should strive for. The acting was brilliant across the board, and the emotional resonance will stay with me for a while.

That said, I don't want a season 2. Shows rarely end with such finality and fulfillment as this one did. They should let good things be.

21. WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings #1 Centre

For anyone wondering, as a fan of the show and of the artist who's song featured in the wonderful ending.

The closing song to the series is Gregory Alan Isakovs "if I go, I'm going" this was the version from his album with the Colorado Symphony. He's a wonderful song writer and if you're into acoustic music with great lyrics, his catalogue is very good.

22. ACC1224

ACC1224 Steelers 7-6-1 vs NE

Is this show age appropriate?

23. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered User

TV-MA

There is profanity (several F-bombs are dropped). As an aside, there are a couple of cute scenes with profanity involving the Crain kids, one of which has Dad doing a particularly lame job of masking his swearing (one of my favorite moments). The profanity isn't overdone and is usually in keeping with the situation, but it's there. No nudity, but doses of sexuality. The horror elements would be too scary for a child.

Adults only.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  24. Mimsy

Mimsy Registered User

I'm starting to bogart this thread, so I'm backing off for a bit after this reply. :)

I was really aware of the Newton Brothers score while watching. I love the leitmotif (e.g., as heard in "Go Tomorrow" from the score). It almost wants to be the Winterfell theme from "Game of Thrones" before charting its own path.

I hadn't noticed the Isakov tune. I've since checked it out on Spotify and agree that it's a good song. I'm going to give this series one more go before Halloween (or at least watch on fast forward). I'll listen for it during the finale.

I want the crying statue from the opening credits. Don't know what I'd do with it, but it's awesome.

WeThreeKings likes this.
  25. aufheben

aufheben #ClaessonFanclub

I was floored by how good this show ended up being. Was not expecting it.