The Hall Of Good

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
This isn't meant to be a rip on the Hall of Fame for some of the players in there but rather quite literally, I'm trying to think of guys who have been consistently good but never great. Not even guys who had a short great peak but not enough to be considered great for their careers or the usual Hall of Fame fringe candidates.

I'm trying to think of guys who have no Hall argument really whatsoever and never were top 10 in goals, assists or points but may have been in the top 20 a few times, more often in the top 30. I don't want to set rigid numerical requirements because it differs too much from era to era. Ideally this would be guys with lengthy careers as solid players but never considered big stars. This is harder but still possible with D-men and goalies.

Kevin Dineen, Geoff Sanderson, Dave Gagner would be the kind of forwards I can think of. Maybe someone like Garth Butcher or Calle Johansson on D?

BamBamCam*

Rick Middleton Wayne Cashman Peter McNab Ken Hodge John Pie Mckenzie

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Trevor Linden, Brian Propp, Vincent Damphousse, Paul Kariya

Kariya was in the top 10 of points and goals four times each, he was basically a top 5 player in the late 90s and a career point per game player in a low-scoring era? He's not far removed from a legit HOF argument so he really doesn't belong here.

RECsGuy*

1.06 career PPG: 1,245 GP - 517 G - 806 A - 1,323 PTS

0.97 PPG in the playoffs: 118 GP - 42 G - 72 A - 114 PTS

I'd say that qualifies as very good, at the very least.

!BykTb-QBGk~$(KGrHqR,!iwEw5LLNJ-hBMSQ7m!NY!~~_3.JPG

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Nicholls has like the 2nd or 3rd best season anyone not called Gretzky or Lemieux ever had, better than good even if not HOF caliber.

On those late 80s Kings teams I'd say John Tonelli is probably closer to what I was thinking of in terms of a good solid producer who never was a big star.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Steve Thomas.

Doesn't he have the distinction of being the player with the most points to never play in an all-star game?

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Doug Weight, Peter Nedved, Keith Primeau, John MacLean and Owen Nolan are a shoo-in into this hall.

Paul Kariya really doesnt belong here - he still has a chance to get into real HOF.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
Bob Rouse? He was just a good defenceman. Think any team would have liked to have him in the 90's.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i'm not counting elite role players (guys like carbo, holik, lowe, mccrimmon, ludwig, arguably dale hunter, etc.) these are just guys who were generally not difference-makers. they made long, productive careers, usually on non-contending playoff teams, by being either solid all-round players or good but not great at a few things.

among guys not yet mentioned: teppo numminen, glen wesley, james patrick, ray ferraro, andy brunette, mike gartner.

along with teppo and wesley, guys like linden, stumpy thomas, muller are the definition of this kind of player.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Bob Rouse? He was just a good defenceman. Think any team would have liked to have him in the 90's.

good one. a really forgotten guy. i'd also add jamie macoun. like rouse, not a star, but someone you'd want to add for a playoff run. and sylvain lefebvre too.

i like to think of the hall of good as tomas sandstrom near the high end and tony granato near the low end. not to be confused with near or arguable HHOFers like propp, nicholls, etc.

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
Possibly Barrasso as a goaltender. He burst onto the scene but played second fiddle most of career behind the big name goalies of that era. The US Hall of Fame is probably full of the type of players you are referring to, who just didn't have enough to get into Toronto but were valuable assets to their teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->