The Habs are going to get a good forward who is better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Blind Gardien said:
If we were picking in the vicinity of #12-20, I'd be really excited talking about Latendresse for the Habs. But I just can't see him as a legitimate #5 pick, compared to the players around him. :dunno:

Agree.

If we want Latendresse we would be better off with the 12 and 49th pick than the 5 and 56th. We could trade down for better than that.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
Could someone tell me about Brule's potential? These days some have been comparing him with the likes of Mike Pea on these boards, are these comparisons adequate? I remember last year when some were talking of Brule as an offensive powerhouse but judging by some comments it would seem that this is already far behind, where's the truth in all that?

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
boby said:
On radio Montréal last night,Danny Dubé (hockey analist) want say ALEX BOURRET for Montréal Canadien is a good option,talent and dynamite on ice.

Seriously I'd be gutted if we took Bourret at that spot. We're better trading down if he is our man.

Mooch

Nov 6, 2003
NC/Toronto/Florida
awesome` said:
Could someone tell me about Brule's potential? These days some have been comparing him with the likes of Mike Pea on these boards, are these comparisons adequate? I remember last year when some were talking of Brule as an offensive powerhouse but judging by some comments it would seem that this is already far behind, where's the truth in all that?

Actually, they say hes a more skilled Peca. Same game, but much better offensive upside. Ofcourse, his wrecking ball style of play, has people worries he may become prone to injuries.

JF

Résidences Soleil?
Apr 7, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
boby said:
On radio Montréal last night,Danny Dubé (hockey analist) want say ALEX BOURRET for Montréal Canadien is a good option,talent and dynamite on ice.
Good for Danny, but it's Gainey's choice. And as he said, he doesn't care if they are green, yellow or blue, he'll take the BPA. I would really be pissed if we picked Bourret at #5, when you can draft Brule/Ryan/Kopitar/Pouliot.

PacketFlo

Feb 20, 2004
I honestly feel that gainey will use his 5th pick to get a d man. If that's not the case then the Habs will surely choose Kopitar at # 5. Watched the kid play with the big boys and he impressed me...

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
boby said:

Oh the Montreal media wants us to go for the francophone player do they?

Never heard that one before.

turnbuckle*

Blind Gardien said:
I like all the players mentioned... Terry Ryan, Guillaume Latendresse, and Bobby Ryan. But I think they are all quite different, despite being lumped in together as "powerforwards who can't skate".

Bobby Ryan is the best of the lot, hands down, in the skating department. If your argument is that the Habs won't want a player who doesn't skate well, then you are wrong to think they'll take Latendresse for that reason above Ryan. Ryan's skating is actually pretty adequate. He doesn't do a lot of it, though, because he is generally found deep in the attacking zone, usually within a 20-ft radius of the net, carrying two opposing checkers on his back. Ryan is defintely stronger and more balanced on his skates than Latendresse. Neither player goes flat out much, but I would imagine Ryan would win in that category too. (Does anybody have the prospects game timing results, btw?).

Ryan also has the ability to be more of a point generator than Latendresse, IMHO. They both have decent puck skills for big guys, but I think Ryan has a bit more of an eye for digging the puck out and tying up or distracting defenders to try to help break his linemates free for scoring chances. My impression of Latendresse is that when he's on his game, he can be a wrecking ball and that scoring chances can materialise out of that chaos he generates, but that he doesn't always have quite the creativity and pure offensive hockey sense that Ryan does.

However, the problem I have with Ryan, if any, is that he's just not naturally mean. That's where the Leclair comparisons really come in best. Leclair was such a huge guy, and he showed a few times early in his career in Montreal how he could throw some absolutely devastating checks along the boards. But the bottom line was that Leclair just had no killer instinct physically, and he never wanted to hurt anybody. He settled down into a pretty much totally non-aggressive player. I can see Ryan being similar. You'll always wish he wanted to use his size more aggressively, whereas he seems to be content to just use it to help generate scoring chances.

Latendresse, by contrast, at least sometimes wants to kill somebody. He can get mean and nasty at times. (Although he can also relax a bit and let that part of his game slide; at least he did in the WU18).

All of this contrasts again to Terry Ryan... a worse skater than either of them, but more hyper-aggressive and intense than either of them too.

I get slammed on the Habs board for not liking Latendresse, although I know turnbuckle here has slammed me in the past for being too high on Latendresse too. So I guess I can't win. But regardless of that, I have little doubt that Bobby Ryan is a more talented hockey player with better offensive upside, and is also a safer bet to be an NHL player than Latendresse. I don't think Ryan's skating will hinder him as a pro. Meanwhile, I like Latendresse's aggressiveness more, but he doesn't have the creativity to have the same offensive upside as Ryan, and there is also a chance that if he doesn't improve his skating, it could limit him as a pro.

If we were picking in the vicinity of #12-20, I'd be really excited talking about Latendresse for the Habs. But I just can't see him as a legitimate #5 pick, compared to the players around him. :dunno:

I agree with your assessments. The thing I like most about Latendresse's game is his aggressiveness. He has decent hands, but he's not nearly as gifted as Ryan in that department, nor is he as good a skater.

I can't see the Habs trading down to get Latendresse - the type of player they need to augment the roster (big scoring winger) is available at number 5 - A Latendresse-type player can always be picked up in the future via the trade route if deemed necessary.

Ryan is not a mean player, but his skill level is so outstanding that it's not a big deal IMO. Let's not forget that there were minor concerns about Rick Nash's skating during his draft year as well; no one raises those concerns now. I believe there are parts of Jagr's game (his strength holding off opponents with the puck), Leclair's game and Nash's game, so he's got a pretty high ceiling IMO.

I have a feeling Ryan won't make it past the Wild, perhaps not even Anaheim. There is at least one scout in the Ducks organization that is very high on Ryan. Mind you he likes Johnson a pile too.

Next Best Thing*

shayne said:
Crosby Johnson pouliot will be gone i don't want a goalie of a defensemen at 5 so who is the best center/winger left for the Habs to pick.

Thanks for your input!!

I'm really excited about Brule. A nasty, gritty forchecker with tons of offensive upside. This is every teams dream (well besides Crosby), a high energy player like Begin but with some actual skill.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
Sam Losco said:
Oh the Montreal media wants us to go for the francophone player do they?

Never heard that one before.

Yes, just like the fans of Liverpool FC or Real Madrid likes to have homegrown talent in their rank. There's nothing wrong with wanting a guy that grew up idolizing your team to be part of it. Of course I don't think ethnicity should prevail on talent, but if the talent is equal, I would always go with the guy who grew up idolizing your team, its tradition, the badge and the jersey; someone who truly measure how special it is to be part of your club's history.

CritZ

Jun 5, 2005
Kopitar is good, i would really like having him, but on the other hand, Habs allready have a couple of these type of players. In that case, im going with Gilbert Brule, a strong right power forward, who can also play center. It would be a nice duo with Michael Ryder. Alex Bourret is another hot pick for them. I see Bourret with Edmonton or Buffalo. I see Latendresse in Ottawa. Bourdon in Atlanta. Jack Johnson with Columbus. Pouliot in Minnesota.

mcarrick16

May 13, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
can we say that Brule is a version of saku koivu with more grith?

the only pick that i would not like is BOBBY RYAN or bourret a number 5!

Pouliot,Kopitar,Johnsson or Brule

turnbuckle*

Man - now even Brule is being called a power forward - I guess Theo Fleury was a power forward as well. Buzzsaw is a more apt term.

I'm worried about Brule's durability at the NHL level if he continues to play the kamikaze style. Have you ever noticed that Begin almost always has an injury, even when he's playing? Remeber Wendel clark? He played the same style despite being undersized - how often was he injured? Michael Peca is another example. It's almost impossible for a player in the 5-11, 180-190 pound range to play a kamikaze style for 100 games per season - their bodies just cannot handle the strain.

If it comes to the Habs pick and Ryan and Brule are available, I really hope they pick Ryan. He's got NHL 40-goal scorer written all over him.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
turnbuckle said:
Remeber Wendel clark? He played the same style despite being undersized - how often was he injured?

Wendel was a sure bet to miss at least 15 games a year, but if the Habs could land a player that meant as much to them as Clark did to the Leafs, it would be outstanding.

Brule will probably be a fan favourite, if he learns to pick his spots.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
the way i see it, this is how its going to turn out:

Crosby
Johnson

after that, it anyones guess but MTL WILL GET one of the following:

Pouliot
Ryan
Brule

anyway you slice it, the Habs are laughing!

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
CritZ said:
Kopitar is good, i would really like having him, but on the other hand, Habs allready have a couple of these type of players. In that case, im going with Gilbert Brule, a strong right power forward, who can also play center. It would be a nice duo with Michael Ryder. Alex Bourret is another hot pick for them. I see Bourret with Edmonton or Buffalo. I see Latendresse in Ottawa. Bourdon in Atlanta. Jack Johnson with Columbus. Pouliot in Minnesota.

Forget it! Johnson will be pick before; he will go with Carolina. Here's my prognosic:

Pittsburgh: Crosby
Anaheim: Brule, because Brian Burke saw him play a lot of time when he was GM with the Canucks
Carolina: Johnson: They need a D-man
Minnessota: Kopitar need a Center for Gaborik. P-.M. Bouchard & Mikko Koivu aren't the kind of center for Gaborik
Montreal: Pouliot or Ryan: Will go with the scoring assets of those two

Alouette_19

Jul 21, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I want Pouliot....but is a goner for sure in the top#3.....so I think that only <Ryan or Brule> and Kopitar will be available....at number 5.......

My guest is that BG will take Brule....the Habs don't need a soft player....they need a power forward....Ryan have the shape but don't use it.

Also the Habs really need a good Center....and don't forget Andre Savard and Pierre Gauthier, they like those European player with good hands and great skating than we are talking about Kopitar, another good point for Kopitar he played in Sweden last year and could be ready to play fast in NHL.......

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
Latendresse is probably not even a 1st rounder. If they take him at 5 I'll slit my wrists. I'm going with Ryan, Brule, Kopitar....in that order

1. Crosby
2. Johnson
3. Pouliot
4. Ryan
5. Brule/Kopitar

If Anaheim takes Brule then Ryan should be available at 5.

turnbuckle*

I'm really getting tired of the "Don't pick Ryan because he has the same last name as a former flop" crap I keep seing over and over. I heard the same twisted logic about Chris Higgins (Matt Higgins) - that one seemed to turn out okay.

Perhaps Pittsburgh shouldn't pick Crosby because they're afraid he'll end up going balloon up to 300 pounds and fry his liver/brain like David Crosby.

Bobby Ryan's last name is actually Stevenson, so he's been double whammied. "Oh no, don't take him because he might turn out like Turner Stevenson." Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->