The Habs and The Knicks : A similar path

JuJu Mobb

Montreal Canadiens
Dec 9, 2009
The path to mediocrity...

This documentary explains how the Knicks have been moving sideways for 20 years. You'll see parallels with the Habs of the past 3 decades.

The quote in this article from 2014 speaks volume :

NY Knicks Dangerously Close to Perpetual Mediocrity

''Their top priorities will always be making money and taking care of their own clients. Then it spreads to taking care of their clients' people, like their little brothers. Eventually, jobs won't be won or held based on merit anymore. When that happens to this extent, winning can't possibly be the top priority anymore.''

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Let's not get carried away... we may not like Molson but he's far from Dolan.

I have never forgot this,it stuck with me since the day i read it .. why?...no real competitive owner doing everything they can to win a Cup jokes about being a loser...If it's a joke? ...the jokes on us fans...No owner should joke about being a loser...

Click here>Have you heard the one about the Montreal Canadiens?

As owner Geoff Molson joked at a chamber of commerce event on Friday, the storied franchise might have won 24 Stanley Cups, but “Marc Bergevin and I haven’t won any of them.”

Last edited:

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Omg, we’re moving the Canadiens to Saskatoon. Or, maybe not.

Sinden in Boston, Ballard in Toronto, Wirtz in Chicago and the Dead Wings. Molson is far from being the worst owner of an Original Six teams in the last 50 years.

What you’re selling is BS.

How about this:

In his book ‘‘The Breakaway: The Inside Story of the Wirtz Family Business and the Chicago Blackhawks,’’ former Sun-Times writer Bryan Smith — now a senior writer at Chicago magazine — suggests late Hawks owner and emperor Bill Wirtz was mentally incapacitated toward the end of his reign.
‘‘Dollar Bill,’’ as he sometimes was known because of his cheapskate ways, ruled the Hawks with authority for four decades until his death in 2007, making every move — or no move — with little interference from underlings. Lackeys, know-nothings and old-time hockey cronies in the Hawks’ organization kept the façade rolling.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Omg, we’re moving the Canadiens to Saskatoon. Or, maybe not.

Sinden in Boston, Ballard in Toronto, Wirtz in Chicago and the Dead Wings. Molson is far from being the worst owner of an Original Six teams in the last 50 years.

What you’re selling is BS.

How about this:

In his book ‘‘The Breakaway: The Inside Story of the Wirtz Family Business and the Chicago Blackhawks,’’ former Sun-Times writer Bryan Smith — now a senior writer at Chicago magazine — suggests late Hawks owner and emperor Bill Wirtz was mentally incapacitated toward the end of his reign.
‘‘Dollar Bill,’’ as he sometimes was known because of his cheapskate ways, ruled the Hawks with authority for four decades until his death in 2007, making every move — or no move — with little interference from underlings. Lackeys, know-nothings and old-time hockey cronies in the Hawks’ organization kept the façade rolling.
I would compare the current regime to those listed above.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
As owner Geoff Molson joked at a chamber of commerce event on Friday, the storied franchise might have won 24 Stanley Cups, but “Marc Bergevin and I haven’t won any of them.
And you know damn well they never will, so please GTFO ASAP.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I’ve watched some really badly run hockey teams over the years play hockey and this team is nowhere and I mean ‘NOWHERE ‘ near as bad as any of them.

The Original Six teams with the exception of Montreal and New York were a complete joke for decades, not a couple years, decades, with no hope . No hope at all.

If you guys want to live in a fake news type of world go ahead but you shouldn’t confuse what you believe in with reality.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I’ve watched some really badly run hockey teams over the years play hockey and this team is nowhere and I mean ‘NOWHERE ‘ near as bad as any of them.

The Original Six teams with the exception of Montreal and New York were a complete joke for decades, not a couple years, decades, with no hope . No hope at all.

If you guys want to live in a fake news type of world go ahead but you shouldn’t confuse what you believe in with reality.
You make some valid points, but the current regime in Montreal, being run by Mol$on, seems to take people's money, and provide a sub standard product. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight right now, so he enters his 2nd decade of brutal management and philosophies....counting his cash, building condos seem to be more important. He is looking like a quiet, low keyed Harold Ballard type of owner.

Mol$on is a much bigger problem, than the clown, GM at this point.

CHwest

May 24, 2011

I think you are wrong, with the current regime I have no hope, well one, that the team is sold. The clowns in charge are inept and ownership doesn't care, it is the exact same. If the team is not sold this will continue for years, we are almost a decade in now.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Mol$on shouldn't be joking about anything..............he has been an awful owner. His actions, or lack of action has proven it.
Reminds me of a song Nirvana played live :
"I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in"

Reactions: BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

We have been a joke for decades too outside of a small stint with Price/Halak, Subban and Patch. For the most part we have been irrelevant since the mid 90ies. It's 2020. The mid 90ies were almost 25 years ago man. This team has been a joke for a long while.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We have been a joke for decades too outside of a small stint with Price/Halak, Subban and Patch. For the most part we have been irrelevant since the mid 90ies. It's 2020. The mid 90ies were almost 25 years ago man. This team has been a joke for a long while.
We have morphed into the Leafs......this is what they went through....and somewhat still going through.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The parallel is that both team never committed to a rebuild, trying to through money at the issue with having or executing a good plan. Having star player past their prime or not having adequate depths to surround their star... In both cases the fan base is passionate and money keep rolling in even when the team is below avg...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Yeah this team from the late 90s outside of 2010-2015 has not been a contender (and that even includes 1 year they finished 3rd last.)

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Of course you would. And you’d be wrong.

And comparing the Habs to the Knicks shows a lack of perspective. Yes currently this sucks but 4 division titles, one ECF, a few teams near the top of the conference in the past 12 years. There are at least 15 nhl teams that have had worse results over the same period.

Knicks have 9 playoff wins in 20 years and have had very little reg season success.

And wake me up when Molson is booting habs legends from the stadium and getting in fights with super fans like Dolan / Oakley / Lee

CHwest

May 24, 2011
Of course you would. And you’d be wrong.

And comparing the Habs to the Knicks shows a lack of perspective. Yes currently this sucks but 4 division titles, one ECF, a few teams near the top of the conference in the past 12 years. There are at least 15 nhl teams that have had worse results over the same period.

Knicks have 9 playoff wins in 20 years and have had very little reg season success.

And wake me up when Molson is booting habs legends from the stadium and getting in fights with super fans like Dolan / Oakley / Lee
You are ignoring the direction we are going, those things you listed are but a memory. Look ahead! I don't see any hope. Undersized tweeners is all I see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->