The Greatest 5 Game Winning Streak

Ogopogo*

I was looking through some old information and I came across the greatest 5 game winning streak of all time. It was a streak put together by the Edmonton Oilers during the 1981-82 season. That was the season Wayne Gretzky scored 92 goals, 120 assists for 212 points and the Oilers were upset by the Kings in the first round of the playoffs - highlighted by the 'Miracle on Manchester' comeback.

Check this out:

Nov 21, 1981 Edmonton 8 Vancouver 3
Nov 23, 1981 Edmonton 8 Detroit 4
Nov 25, 1981 Edmonton 11 Los Angeles 4
Nov 27, 1981 Edmonton 8 Chicago 1
Nov 29, 1981 Edmonton 10 Winnipeg 2

The Oilers outscored their opponents 45-14 in 5 games!!!! That is amazing dominance.

The Oilers hadn't even peaked at this time - they were still two seasons away from being Stanley Cup champions.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
I guess it comes down to how you define dominance. Is it the 45 GF, or out scoring the opponents by 31 goals? If yes, then likely that is the best. If you say it's outscoring them by a 3 to 1 margin then probably not. For instance, Montreal had margins of 35-8 and 26-4 in 76-77 and 27-4 over the end of 76-77 and the start of 77-78.

Ogopogo*

I guess it comes down to how you define dominance. Is it the 45 GF, or out scoring the opponents by 31 goals? If yes, then likely that is the best. If you say it's outscoring them by a 3 to 1 margin then probably not. For instance, Montreal had margins of 35-8 and 26-4 in 76-77 and 27-4 over the end of 76-77 and the start of 77-78.

The margin of 31 goals is the key number. The ratio is not as important because it is simply predicated by the style of hockey a team plays. For instance, is a 3-1 victory really more impressive than 8-3? The ratio is better but, 3-1 is a close game - the final goal could have been put into an empty net. 8-3 is a blowout and a much more dominant performance.

The 31 goal margin in a 5 game stretch is what makes this the most impressive streak.

chooch*

The margin of 31 goals is the key number. The ratio is not as important because it is simply predicated by the style of hockey a team plays. For instance, is a 3-1 victory really more impressive than 8-3? The ratio is better but, 3-1 is a close game - the final goal could have been put into an empty net. 8-3 is a blowout and a much more dominant performance.

The 31 goal margin in a 5 game stretch is what makes this the most impressive streak.

Well...duh... actually its also who youre playing against. I bet 99 whooped it up against those 5 loser teams and got his hattrick breaking rocket richards record or something on the 10th goal in the last minute.

Then he was a -1 against a team like Montreal.

Many many times have teams let up so as not to embarras the opposition. Not some I guess.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I was looking through some old information and I came across the greatest 5 game winning streak of all time. It was a streak put together by the Edmonton Oilers during the 1981-82 season. That was the season Wayne Gretzky scored 92 goals, 120 assists for 212 points and the Oilers were upset by the Kings in the first round of the playoffs - highlighted by the 'Miracle on Manchester' comeback.

Check this out:

Nov 21, 1981 Edmonton 8 Vancouver 3
Nov 23, 1981 Edmonton 8 Detroit 4
Nov 25, 1981 Edmonton 11 Los Angeles 4
Nov 27, 1981 Edmonton 8 Chicago 1
Nov 29, 1981 Edmonton 10 Winnipeg 2

The Oilers outscored their opponents 45-14 in 5 games!!!! That is amazing dominance.

The Oilers hadn't even peaked at this time - they were still two seasons away from being Stanley Cup champions.

Interesting topic. Out of curiosity, I checked some Flyers' scores (very randomly) and came across a 4-game total in the 1975-76 season where they beat the Rangers, Toronto, Boston and Kansas City by a combined 31-5 -- preceded and followed by 4-4 ties.

Ogopogo*

Well...duh... actually its also who youre playing against. I bet 99 whooped it up against those 5 loser teams and got his hattrick breaking rocket richards record or something on the 10th goal in the last minute.

Many many times have teams let up so as not to embarras the opposition. Not some I guess.

That is complete foolishness.

Quitting is completely unacceptable no matter what the score. The fans paid their money to see 60 minutes of hockey, by letting up you are robbing them of the money they paid for tickets. If I was in attendance at a game where the home team let up I would demand a refund because that is a rip off.

As well, any NHL player that lets up at any time during a game really shouldn't be in the league. No player that half-***** in the 3rd period of a game would play for my team.

Letting up or quitting shows a lack of respect for the opponent, the fans, the game and yourself. It is unacceptable at any time no matter the score. If a team loses by 8 goals, they need to improve not count on the opposition quitting after two periods.

If your argument is Gretzky holds 61 NHL records because he wasn't a quitter - that makes his records even more impressive.

Ogopogo*

Another tidbit for you to chew on choochie:

During the very same 1981-82 season, The Canadiens had the following games:

Oct 10 Montreal 9 Buffalo 0
Oct 17 Montreal 10 Vancouver 4
Oct 27 Montreal 11 Philadelphia 2
Nov 11 Montreal 9 Colorado 0

So, if you expect me to belive that Montreal quit after two periods when they had a big lead, the evidence proves you wrong.

So, the conclusion is that Lafleur and the Canadiens simply were not as good as the Gretzky and the Oilers during the 80s. The Oilers scored more simply because they were better.

In looking through scores during the 1974-75 season, the Canadiens scored 10 or more goals against the expansion Washington Capitals 3 times! So, Lafleur certainly did pad his stats against the weaker sisters of the NHL. How many of his 119 points that year was he "whooping it up" scoring the 10th goal against the worst team in the history of the NHL?

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your ranting and raving.

Last edited by a moderator:

chooch*

So, if you expect me to belive that Montreal quit after two periods when they had a big lead, the evidence proves you wrong.

So, the conclusion is that Lafleur and the Canadiens simply were not as good as the Gretzky and the Oilers during the 80s. The Oilers scored more simply because they were better.

In looking through scores during the 1974-75 season, the Canadiens scored 10 or more goals against the expansion Washington Capitals 3 times! So, Lafleur certainly did pad his stats against the weaker sisters of the NHL. How many of his 119 points that year was he "whooping it up" scoring the 10th goal against the worst team in the history of the NHL?

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

Why dont you do some research and answer yoru own questions. Your dominance argument is asinine anyway.

I f your research was complete you woudl try and refute that Lafelur wasnt sat in 3rd periods of blowouts whcih is my receollection and Mario Tremblay etc were whooping it up.

and yes, The habs essentially werent the same in the 80's I admit it despite their 100 point seasons they didnt win a legitamate cup. 86 (and 93) were not really cups on teh order of the 70's.

But a lot of this also had to do with teh easy road teh West teams had to the finals.

Still no one had garbage points like Gretzky. As Sather said recently.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I think the problem with using this method for determining greatness is that it is inherently biased against teams from lower scoring eras. For example, it would have been near impossible to score the necessary 8-10 goals in a game multiple times a season, let alone in five consecutive games during first part of this decade.

Ogopogo*

Why dont you do some research and answer yoru own questions. Your dominance argument is asinine anyway.

I f your research was complete you woudl try and refute that Lafelur wasnt sat in 3rd periods of blowouts whcih is my receollection and Mario Tremblay etc were whooping it up.

and yes, The habs essentially werent the same in the 80's I admit it despite their 100 point seasons they didnt win a legitamate cup. 86 (and 93) were not really cups on teh order of the 70's.

But a lot of this also had to do with teh easy road teh West teams had to the finals.

Still no one had garbage points like Gretzky. As Sather said recently.

I remember watching the Habs 10-3 win over the Capitals Apr 7, 1979 on Hockey Night in Canada. Lafleur was definitely playing in the 3rd period when the score was already 10-3. How on earth can you explain that?

Again, don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting.

Ogopogo*

I think the problem with using this method for determining greatness is that it is inherently biased against teams from lower scoring eras. For example, it would have been near impossible to score the necessary 8-10 goals in a game multiple times a season, let alone in five consecutive games during first part of this decade.

Hockey is offense and defense - not one or the other. If the Oilers didn't play defense during this 5 games stretch, the scores would have been 8-6 and 11-7. If their margin was 8 or 10 goals over 5 games, it would not be nearly as impressive.

If a team can only play defensively (i.e. win 5 in a row by 1-0 or 2-0 scores) then, they are weak in half the game. Just keeping the puck out of your net is only going to get you 50% of the score. Dominance is about doing both very well.

This 5 game streak is the greatest display of both and that is why no other team has a 31 goal margin over a 5 game winning streak. Were the Oilers better offensively than defensively? Yes. But the margin doesn't lie.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Hockey is offense and defense - not one or the other. If the Oilers didn't play defense during this 5 games stretch, the scores would have been 8-6 and 11-7. If their margin was 8 or 10 goals over 5 games, it would not be nearly as impressive.

If a team can only play defensively (i.e. win 5 in a row by 1-0 or 2-0 scores) then, they are weak in half the game. Just keeping the puck out of your net is only going to get you 50% of the score. Dominance is about doing both very well.

This 5 game streak is the greatest display of both and that is why no other team has a 31 goal margin over a 5 game winning streak. Were the Oilers better offensively than defensively? Yes. But the margin doesn't lie.

I agree with what you are saying. My only point was, during lower scoring eras, it was much more difficult to reach the offensive levels, no matter how dominant your team was offensively, to compete with the levels that that the Oilers could reach during the 80's. Scoring 6 goals in a game in the early part of the 00's was an impressive feat in itself, yet a team could do that 5 straight times, not allow a goal against, and still not be as dominant according to this criteria.

Not to say that the Oilers' streak isn't incredibly impressive, but this is definitely something that's tough to judge statistically.

Ogopogo*

I agree with what you are saying. My only point was, during lower scoring eras, it was much more difficult to reach the offensive levels, no matter how dominant your team was offensively, to compete with the levels that that the Oilers could reach during the 80's. Scoring 6 goals in a game in the early part of the 00's was an impressive feat in itself, yet a team could do that 5 straight times, not allow a goal against, and still not be as dominant according to this criteria.

Not to say that the Oilers' streak isn't incredibly impressive, but this is definitely something that's tough to judge statistically.

Fair enough.

BTW, here is another streak that I found interesting:

This is a 6 game winning streak the Red Wings put together during the 1943-33 season:

Sat 15 Jan W at Toronto 6- 4
Sun 16 Jan W Toronto 4- 1
Thu 20 Jan W Chicago 4- 3
Sun 23 Jan W NY Rangers 15- 0
Tue 25 Jan W at Boston 6- 3
Sat 29 Jan W Boston 6- 1

The 15-0 game skews things but, 35-8 over the last 5 games is impressive.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Fair enough.

BTW, here is another streak that I found interesting:

This is a 6 game winning streak the Red Wings put together during the 1943-33 season:

Sat 15 Jan W at Toronto 6- 4
Sun 16 Jan W Toronto 4- 1
Thu 20 Jan W Chicago 4- 3
Sun 23 Jan W NY Rangers 15- 0
Tue 25 Jan W at Boston 6- 3
Sat 29 Jan W Boston 6- 1

The 15-0 game skews things but, 35-8 over the last 5 games is impressive.

Yikes! One thing to keep in mind is that the 1943-44 Rangers were probably one of the weakest teams in NHL history by any measure. They had a 6-39-5 record overall and were last in goals for and goals against. (They also had losses of 12-2, 13-3, 11-4 and 11-2 and an incredible 10-9 defeat). Ken McAuley was their goalie for the whole season and finished with a 6.24 GAA. I know GAA is a team stat, but it's still incredibly bad.

According to Legends of Hockey, during the 15-0 game, "a sixteenth goal was scored (but not counted) just as the final buzzer was sounded. The Rangers only managed nine shots on the Red Wings goaltender, Connie Dion." Something tells me a lot of games were like that for the '44 Rangers.

chooch*

I remember watching the Habs 10-3 win over the Capitals Apr 7, 1979 on Hockey Night in Canada. Lafleur was definitely playing in the 3rd period when the score was already 10-3. How on earth can you explain that?

Again, don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting.

Those are facts? How about ice time or shifts?

You didnt address the fact that the OIlers played weak West teams during their "dominance " streak.

What about bringing up the OIlers 6 game playoff against the Chicago in 85? Lighting up Bannanerman for 44 goals and giving up a few too. Thats playoff hockey. Set a West record, baby.

Ogopogo*

Those are facts? How about ice time or shifts?

You didnt address the fact that the OIlers played weak West teams during their "dominance " streak.

What about bringing up the OIlers 6 game playoff against the Chicago in 85? Lighting up Bannanerman for 44 goals and giving up a few too. Thats playoff hockey. Set a West record, baby.

If I was having a discussion with someone more reasonable, I might spend the time to find out ice time and shifts. But, no matter what facts I present, you will counter them with unreasonable ranting and raving. I have presented many facts in many different posts and you present nothing more than your memory as evidence. The facts I offer go in your eyes and obviously leak out your ears - as evidenced by your ranting about the "weak" west.

Transported Upstater

Yikes! One thing to keep in mind is that the 1943-44 Rangers were probably one of the weakest teams in NHL history by any measure. They had a 6-39-5 record overall and were last in goals for and goals against. (They also had losses of 12-2, 13-3, 11-4 and 11-2 and an incredible 10-9 defeat). Ken McAuley was their goalie for the whole season and finished with a 6.24 GAA. I know GAA is a team stat, but it's still incredibly bad.

According to Legends of Hockey, during the 15-0 game, "a sixteenth goal was scored (but not counted) just as the final buzzer was sounded. The Rangers only managed nine shots on the Red Wings goaltender, Connie Dion." Something tells me a lot of games were like that for the '44 Rangers.

I remember one of the best nicknames in NHL history:

Steve Businski "The Puck Goesinski." :biglaugh:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your ranting and raving.

Wow, the Wild Turkey must have flowed in the dressing room after those embarassing routs of the hapless Caps. Way to encourage growth of hockey into new markets by the viagara pimp and his whoop-it-up comrades.

Transported Upstater

Okay, I've been wanting to say this for a long time, and I finally will:

If some of you guys get so annoyed by chooch...why do you respond to his posts in the first place? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->