The Great Michal Kempny Debate (& other ex-Hawks) Volume 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I know a lot of people that would prefer Wingels and Manning over Kruger and Kampf. There's actually a site that I go to dedicated to hockey fights, and the users there HATE the "new, soft NHL" that you obsess over and haven't watched hockey for a number of years because all of the fighting has basically been eliminated from the game.

If you watch hockey for fighting, I suggest watching the UFC, where the people fighting are actually, you know, GOOD at it. Its far more enjoyable than watching untrained Neanderthals hurl sloppy haymakers at each other while struggling to balance on skates.

Leave hockey to the people that enjoy hockey, not the nonsense interruptions.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The Hawks need $100 bills, you guys are arguing over $1's and $5's

You're not wrong, but I strongly disagree with the idea that choices at the margins have no impact (or so small an impact that they're not worth worrying about).

In a parity league, every advantage throughout your lineup, no matter how small, can make a difference.

The Blackhawks were monsters because, more years than not, they not only iced an elite core, but because they capitalized on market inefficiencies throughout their lineup, particularly at the fringes.

A team with all the cap space in the world cant afford to waste cap on grunts that offer little, let alone a team squeezed by the cap like the Blackhawks. They have to look forward, outpace the trends of the modern nhl, not look backward and ice 4th lines better fit for a team in 2004.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
but I strongly disagree with the idea that choices at the margins have no impact (or so small an impact that they're not worth worrying about).

Agree in full when the Hawks are actual contenders (ex: 2014) but when we're an at best bubble team and more realistically a lotto team then it makes relatively zero difference IMHO

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Agree in full when the Hawks are actual contenders (ex: 2014) but when we're an at best bubble team and more realistically a lotto team then it makes relatively zero difference IMHO

No, I agree with JD on this point. Since consensus says, Hawks are not contenders by any stretch of the imagination, bring in as many youngsters with potential as possible ... in all positions, including the 4th line. Young prospects like Kampf, Fortin, Highmore, as examples, should be given every chance to make this roster.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
If you watch hockey for fighting, I suggest watching the UFC, where the people fighting are actually, you know, GOOD at it. Its far more enjoyable than watching untrained Neanderthals hurl sloppy haymakers at each other while struggling to balance on skates.

Leave hockey to the people that enjoy hockey, not the nonsense interruptions.

Funny how you say that because those guys love the UFC and boxing/ultimate fighting in general

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
A team gave up a conditional 5th round pick, yes.

So basically, if you dont have a guy drafted above the 5th round to slot into the same spot, you'd get value out of signing Wingels. ;)

Yes, I know thats not how it works, but you catch my drift. He was hardly coveted, even at the TDL.

Being highly coveted and thinking no team thinks he can play in the nhl are two very different things.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Former Boston Bruins forward and ex-Calgary Flames winger made their move to the Swiss League's Genève-Servette HC official.

Wingels, 30, was traded from the Chicago Blackhawks to the Bruins prior to the trade deadline last season. He scored a combined nine goals and 17 points in 75 games. He was held without a point in four playoff games with the Bruins.

Wingels has appeared in 448 NHL contests in his career with the Bruins, Blackhawks, Ottawa Senators and San Jose Sharks. He has 62 goals and 143 points in his NHL career.

Bouma spent six seasons with the Calgary Flames before joining the Blackhawks last summer. He had three goals and nine points in 53 games with Chicago and ended the year in the AHL with the Rockford IceHogs.

The 28-year-old appeared in a career-high 78 games both in 2013-14 and 2014-15 with the Flames. In total, he posted 30 goals and 76 points in 357 career NHL games.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yep going to always remember Steeger for his role in 2010 cup (And smaller/less impactful role with 2015 Cup team)

Steeger first time with Hawks
Regular season = 170 GP with 44 goals + 55 assists for 99 pts
Playoffs = 39 GP with 10 goals + 16 assists for 26 pts

Steeger after injuries started taking toll return to Hawks
Regular season = 124 GP with 24 goals + 39 assists for 63 pts
Playoffs = 27 GP with 2 goals + 3 assists for 5 pts

Some of the best Steeger moments

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Versteeg was at his best before he let his point totals dictate his style of play. Him and Sharp on the PK were so lethal together. And he had the perfect temperament for a guy that would make turnovers as often as he would. It was tough to get too worked up over.

I also would have put $20 on his brother Mitch carving out a nice pro career.

Good luck overseas Kris.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Good luck to him, but man.... I would avoid the KHL like the plague right now. That league has a lot of issues and the travel schedule's brutal.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If I was a decent hockey player that couldn't land a reliable gig in the NHL, the National League in Switzerland would be far and away my first choice. Fairly high level of competition, mostly modern and solid arenas, fantastic country and a high standard of living, and just about the cushiest travel schedule imaginable. Matthews and Kane knew what they were doing going over there.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Good luck to him, but man.... I would avoid the KHL like the plague right now. That league has a lot of issues and the travel schedule's brutal.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If I was a decent hockey player that couldn't land a reliable gig in the NHL, the National League in Switzerland would be far and away my first choice. Fairly high level of competition, mostly modern and solid arenas, fantastic country and a high standard of living, and just about the cushiest travel schedule imaginable. Matthews and Kane knew what they were doing going over there.
He signed with the swiss league the year before last year but his deal fell through because of his medical history & insurance issues. And then he came back to get the offer from Calgary.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He was never the same after his knee injury. Still serviceable but rarely impactful. Had a hell of a game 5 in the 2015 SCF though.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Loved Verbeauty. Guy had lethal hands. Wish him the best over there and hope to see him come back in the org or on tv at some point. He, Sharp and Burish probably had the best personalities on those teams.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
One of the very good depth pieces on the Hawks forward corps for TWO Cups. Flashy and fun player to watch too, even if it didn't always end up as a goal or assist. Good luck Comrade Verbeauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad