The Great Michal Kempny Debate (& other ex-Hawks) Volume 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

migi

Feb 25, 2015

Pretty impressive.

Hahah it’s so hilarious that I know where he lives and I have been in the same elevator. :naughty:

My friend lives in the 2nd floor, Teuvo lives in fifth. He bought it like one week after he signed his current deal. Not a cheap one given he is going to live there in summer.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I remember an article, I believe talking about Finish goalies, that stated Finish players mature physically a few years later than other nations. I think the article stated around 23-24.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Dammit Bowman. Wingels isn't an amazing player, but he's a decent bottom line guy. Why the hell did we not re-sign him this summer?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Dammit Bowman. Wingels isn't an amazing player, but he's a decent bottom line guy. Why the hell did we not re-sign him this summer?

Yes, what the Blackhawks need is [another] player that literally nobody else wanted, with good reason.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You mean, like Kruger. Give me Wingels every time.

I was referring to Ward, and [to a lesser extent] Kunitz. Manning would probably get a look from other teams, if only cause of his age and #GRIT and #TOUGHNESS.

I have no idea if Kruger can still go, but if he can, there's no question he's a better, more impactful bottom 6er than Wingels, as he can/has played more minutes, against tougher competition, in tougher starts. Whereas Wingels was trusted only against the other team's weakest players, and provided a marginal upgrade in scoring for the trouble, all while the rest of the lineup saw tougher competition and less production as a result.

That's not entirely Wingels fault, he was just one piece of an idiotic plan to ice a 4th line model that was obsolete years ago. But it's clear this team needs somebody that can share the load on tough competition, not spend 8 minutes a game against other 4th lines.

I'd much rather take the chance on Kruger and let Kampf learn on the job on his wing to become the heir apparent, then spend another season with a retrograde obsolete 4th line model that hurts every line above them.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
You mean, like Kruger. Give me Wingels every time.
Signing Wingles doesn’t rid us 6mil in dead cap for the next 3 years. Apples to oranges my friend.

This team has no need for serviceable fourth line vets after Kunitz got signed.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The best 700 hockey players on the planet aren’t all in the NHL. Bouma is done but Wingels is good enough to be a spare part on somebody’s roster.

Meh, if it were years ago, sure. More and more teams are wising up to the fact that it's not worth it to ice a line that can only play 8 minutes against weak competition.... but if you are stuck doing that, you're betting off using that ice time to give a line of kids that can skate 8 minutes worth of easy deployment, because at least the kids might have a future long-term.

I totally understand why teams didn't bite on Wingels. Anything he can do, a kid in their system can do as well or better, and probably faster.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Meh, if it were years ago, sure. More and more teams are wising up to the fact that it's not worth it to ice a line that can only play 8 minutes against weak competition.... but if you are stuck doing that, you're betting off using that ice time to give a line of kids that can skate 8 minutes worth of easy deployment, because at least the kids might have a future long-term.

I totally understand why teams didn't bite on Wingels. Anything he can do, a kid in their system can do as well or better, and probably faster.

A team gave up assets five months ago for Wingels. Most teams probably wanted to see what the kids can offer before offering a spot to Wingels, and instead of waiting around for a dance partner he took the sure thing.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
A team gave up assets five months ago for Wingels. Most teams probably wanted to see what the kids can offer before offering a spot to Wingels, and instead of waiting around for a dance partner he took the sure thing.

A team gave up a conditional 5th round pick, yes.

So basically, if you dont have a guy drafted above the 5th round to slot into the same spot, you'd get value out of signing Wingels. ;)

Yes, I know thats not how it works, but you catch my drift. He was hardly coveted, even at the TDL.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
I was referring to Ward, and [to a lesser extent] Kunitz. Manning would probably get a look from other teams, if only cause of his age and #GRIT and #TOUGHNESS.

I have no idea if Kruger can still go, but if he can, there's no question he's a better, more impactful bottom 6er than Wingels, as he can/has played more minutes, against tougher competition, in tougher starts. Whereas Wingels was trusted only against the other team's weakest players, and provided a marginal upgrade in scoring for the trouble, all while the rest of the lineup saw tougher competition and less production as a result.

That's not entirely Wingels fault, he was just one piece of an idiotic plan to ice a 4th line model that was obsolete years ago. But it's clear this team needs somebody that can share the load on tough competition, not spend 8 minutes a game against other 4th lines.

I'd much rather take the chance on Kruger and let Kampf learn on the job on his wing to become the heir apparent, then spend another season with a retrograde obsolete 4th line model that hurts every line above them.

I know a lot of people that would prefer Wingels and Manning over Kruger and Kampf. There's actually a site that I go to dedicated to hockey fights, and the users there HATE the "new, soft NHL" that you obsess over and haven't watched hockey for a number of years because all of the fighting has basically been eliminated from the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad