The Great John Hayden Debate (& other ex-Hawks): Volume 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
it is Walkom. The long version:

go to 1:42
the fans are cheering before he waves it off, I think someday Walkom is going to write a book and admit he had money on the game;)

Last edited:

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
it is Walkom. The long version:

go to 1:42
the fans are cheering before he waves it off, I think someday Walkom is going to write a book and admit he had money on the game;)

This disallowed goal still pisses me off. Its pretty rare to see guys score off slap shots like that, especially in big moments. Unfortunately what should have been the biggest goal of Hjalmarsson's career gets wiped out because Saad gets mugged in front of the bench and Walkom is too big a p***y to call the penalty correctly for fear of affecting the outcome of the game.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Was that Walkom's last game? i think that call did him in, what a dummy.
The best part - of there was one - was the absolute meltdown that Milburry and Jones had on the NBC telecast in the intermission before overtime. Milburry was losing his shib calling it the worst call in NHL history. Considering the context - I might have to agree with him.

Just like DeWayne Wise's centerfield catch in the 9th inning of Mark Buehrle's perfect game - considering the context and what's at stake - might be one of the greatest catches in MLB history.

Reactions: BrianE

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Who are four people who've never been in my kitchen?

Side note - I've actually been in A kitchen - not mine, but A kitchen - with Teuvo. Long story, but one of his 'guys' is a neighbor/friend of mine and a bunch of the kids (mites at the time) went over to his house when Teuvo was there. Me and a few other parents got to meet him when we picked up our kids.

Oh and I've never met Kyle Beach, but I was one at Oak Street Beach circa 1994 and I'm pretty sure there were at least 47 or 48 dudes named Kyle there.

Reactions: SnakePlissken

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I was at that game. It was so loud after hammer scored that it took awhile for people to realize the goal got called off because no one heard the call. It was actually really funny going to a bar afterwards because the tv had post game on and as soon as it got to that call the place erupted because that’s the first time everyone saw it.

Oh well. We got treated to two game winning goals that night and a bit of free hockey.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I was at that game. It was so loud after hammer scored that it took awhile for people to realize the goal got called off because no one heard the call. It was actually really funny going to a bar afterwards because the tv had post game on and as soon as it got to that call the place erupted because that’s the first time everyone saw it.

Oh well. We got treated to two game winning goals that night and a bit of free hockey.
made that game more memorable. the time inbetween the 3rd and OT was crazy. everyone so pissed.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
It was nice....ref name was Stevie Walkom, worst call & referee in long time.

Fixed it for you.

And yes, after this game he was "promoted" to head of officiating. I guess the Dilbert principle works here--being promoted to an area where he can't do any damage: Management.

He was also one of the officials on the ice when Torres tried to decapitate Hossa and didn't see anything. How that waste-of-a-perfectly-good-Saturday-night managed such a long career as a ref is beyond me. He must have had photos of Bettman, a couple of hookers, a few midgets, and some agricultural implements to keep his job as an on-ice official for so long.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Side note - I've actually been in A kitchen - not mine, but A kitchen - with Teuvo. Long story, but one of his 'guys' is a neighbor/friend of mine and a bunch of the kids (mites at the time) went over to his house when Teuvo was there. Me and a few other parents got to meet him when we picked up our kids.

Oh and I've never met Kyle Beach, but I was one at Oak Street Beach circa 1994 and I'm pretty sure there were at least 47 or 48 dudes named Kyle there.

Backyard was he a down to earth nice guy?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I’m floored it hasn’t happened sooner. Guy is a ****ing Viking warrior. This hurts my soul.

Ive always felt like the easy narrative of ‘he blocks shots’ always overshadowed what made Hammer so good.

Not calling you out specifically, this injury just had 90% of Blackhawks twitter saying ‘we miss dmen with the stones to block shots’, meanwhile Im thinking ‘if we had a dman that did everything Hammer did and didnt block a single shot, we’d still have an amazing dman’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad