The Great John Hayden Debate (& other ex-Hawks): Volume 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgh

Dec 19, 2019
Oh.....my dream might come true yet. We need a big physical D-Man to fill the void for Seabs…… he's the guy.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Buff, last i heard, hadn't even skated yet after ankle surgery.

Given his lack of skating, and his propensity to carry extra weight at the best of times, I'm betting hes very much not in game shape.

Kind of funny that a board known for being pretty hard on Seabs for being out of shape is now talking about adding Buff, in his current condition.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Buff, last i heard, hadn't even skated yet after ankle surgery.

Given his lack of skating, and his propensity to carry extra weight at the best of times, I'm betting hes very much not in game shape.

Kind of funny that a board known for being pretty hard on Seabs for being out of shape is now talking about adding Buff, in his current condition.

Buff is still a good player. Seabrook is not.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Very nice job of totally disregarding the rest of what i said.

Acquisition cost is cap space they will have a hard time using via trades. Its worth a gamble if he can get into game shape by sometime next month. If they add a healthy, motivated Buff and Ian Mitchell and sneak into a playoff spot they could be an interesting wild card team.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If Buff is up for playing forward, he’d be worth a roll of the dice. Maybe he could get the PP going.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I don't think so, why would he mutually agree to terminate his contract then? Why not just hold out and collect the money? I think he wants to play elsewhere.
He wouldn't forfeit the money.

I don’t think he was still getting paid. He was suspended by the Jets for not reporting to camp and had an open grievance about not getting paid.

Sounds like he was heavily contemplating retirement at the beginning of the year when a nagging injury (that he did not report in the exit interview last year) didn’t heal like he thought it would.

Reactions: Giovi and Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I don’t think he was still getting paid. He was suspended by the Jets for not reporting to camp and had an open
grievance about not getting paid.

Sounds like he was heavily contemplating retirement at the
beginning of the year when a nagging injury (that he did not report in the exit interview last year) didn’t heal like he thought it
would.

He wasn't getting paid. You are correct, my statement was wrong.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don’t think he was still getting paid. He was suspended by the Jets for not reporting to camp and had an open grievance about not getting paid.

Sounds like he was heavily contemplating retirement at the beginning of the year when a nagging injury (that he did not report in the exit interview last year) didn’t heal like he thought it would.
No he wasn't getting paid this year, but he still had a contract next year, and could have reported disgruntled about the situation. Which as a team, you don't want him around.

I did not see the report that he hasn't been properly rehabbing or skating, so my view has slightly changed where yeah, I could see him not playing anymore.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
No he wasn't getting paid this year, but he still had a contract next year, and could have reported disgruntled about the situation. Which as a team, you don't want him around.

I did not see the report that he hasn't been properly rehabbing or skating, so my view has slightly changed where yeah, I could see him not playing anymore.
If he doesn’t want to play anymore why would he report disgruntled? There gets to be a point where the money isn’t worth the wear and tear on your body. He clearly didn’t think he was in good enough shape to play this year as he did show up to Winnipeg and skate once or twice before he disappeared before camp. There were reports that he was heavily leaning towards retirement and the Jets told him to take some time to think about it.

He kinda screwed himself over by not reporting any injuries and signing off on a clean bill of health to end the year last year. There wasn’t any way he was going to see a dollar of that contract if he doesn’t play.

Maybe he gets the itch and tries to see if he can play again next season but I highly doubt it. Think Buff is done.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If he doesn’t want to play anymore why would he report disgruntled? There gets to be a point where the money isn’t worth the wear and tear on your body. He clearly didn’t think he was in good enough shape to play this year as he did show up to Winnipeg and skate once or twice before he disappeared before camp. There were reports that he was heavily leaning towards retirement and the Jets told him to take some time to think about it.

He kinda screwed himself over by not reporting any injuries and signing off on a clean bill of health to end the year last year. There wasn’t any way he was going to see a dollar of that contract if he doesn’t play.

Maybe he gets the itch and tries to see if he can play again next season but I highly doubt it. Think Buff is done.
My point was, maybe he does want to play, just not for the Jets or in the city of Winnipeg. That's why I said he may show up disgruntled.

tgh

Dec 19, 2019
Buff is done unfortunately. He's got his family and loves ice fishing and has paid his dues. Coming back to the team that drafted him for one more year would be something though.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I'd be willing to bet that when Buff stands on the scale the first number he sees is a 3.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
If Buff was ready to play he'd be trying to get back on the ice...Why would anybody think he's in any way motivated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->