The Great Fight Debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
And this is the beginning of the end. At some point fighting will result in an automatic game misconduct. Then it'll eventually be outlawed. I give it 10 years max.
It would hurt a lot less to see this if DOPS would actually do a decent job of protecting players and doling out discipline that actually dissuaded players from cheap shots. When fighting is outlawed, I see an uptick in dirty play, because the rats (Yes I know we have our own) won't have to face the music and can hide.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Are they though? I mean anecdotal evidence of former enforcers committing suicide because of underlying CTE would disagree.

As for the enforcer stopping cheap shots, Bergeron, Eriksson, Horton, Savard as well as numerous other players around the league have all been victims of intentional head shots while their teams had an enforcer. So what exactly did that stop? I mean, I may have missed it or something, because I didn't see the presence of a fighter do anything to curb cheap shots.
And I think you can trace that specifically to the stupid instigator rule.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Crash Bandicoot

Sobriety isn't for wimps.
Feb 25, 2016
I think players safety is important and concussions are a dead serious health issue.

That said. To say fighting didn’t increase the intensity and enjoyment of the game never saw a Cam Neely fight. Listen to the crowd.

I suppose the change is for the better.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agreed.

I think it is less about helmets and way more about hard plastic shoulder pads instead of soft pads.

was recently in a sporting goods store down here, wandered over to the hockey section, I`m stunned at the pads these days. I wish I still had my pads somewhere to take some pics and post here, the players these days would be shocked, my old shoulder/elbow pads look like a piece of paper compared to these suits of armor.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
was recently in a sporting goods store down here, wandered over to the hockey section, I`m stunned at the pads these days. I wish I still had my pads somewhere to take some pics and post here, the players these days would be shocked, my old shoulder/elbow pads look like a piece of paper compared to these suits of armor.
I remember playing when i was like 6 or 7 years old in 1996-97, even just 20 years ago the gear was so much less intense. Today they're 90% hard plastic it seems.

Crash Bandicoot

Sobriety isn't for wimps.
Feb 25, 2016
My primary care doctor is also our school systems sports doctor. He’s done extensive research on concussion research. He told me that in some people even mild concussions can lead to concussion sickness and permanent loss of cognitive skills. Marc Savard comes to mind. Not saying his was mild at all just permanent.
Others can receive significant concussions multiple times and after a few days or weeks show no signs of cognitive loss. Even many years after they quit playing. Gordie Howe comes to mind.
Hope McAvoys ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
With the mandatory visors, and the no taking your helmet off before a fight rule, I think concussion risk should be small enough that they allow fights to go. I don't think a couple awkward shots the the jaw are really gonna cause any significant damage. I agree that the linesmen are stepping in too early too often.

Neely fights were one of the biggest things that got me into hockey as a kid. He was by far my favorite player growing up (ok, not by far because Bourque was a fairly close second).

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Personally it's just hard to watch. As a kid I loved the fighting and the heavy hits in both the NFL and the NHL. Now? I find myself wincing watching the heads get knocked around and knowing the long term affect that it has one people's lives. Reading the first hand experiences a guy like Savard has had for YEARS after he retired is pretty eye opening. I understand that these are the sort of risks that players take on themselves when choosing the play in the NHL or NFL but the more and more I watch the less I want to see modern day gladiators. When it comes to CTE and enjoying contact sports ignorance is bliss I suppose.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And I think you can trace that specifically to the stupid instigator rule.

Missed this before, but better late than never.

So you bring up an interesting point. Has the instigator penalty allowed dirtbags to do more dirt? Possibly. But when you're talking about the true enforcers of years gone by, the only role they filled was to drop the gloves. Even if they got a suspension for it, what are you really missing? Okay, so your goon is out for a game or two. And? That extra penalty and possible suspension should never be the reason an enforcer doesn't respond when a cheap shot happens. Never. It's literally their job, extra penalty and suspension be damned.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Missed this before, but better late than never.

So you bring up an interesting point. Has the instigator penalty allowed dirtbags to do more dirt? Possibly. But when you're talking about the true enforcers of years gone by, the only role they filled was to drop the gloves. Even if they got a suspension for it, what are you really missing? Okay, so your goon is out for a game or two. And? That extra penalty and possible suspension should never be the reason an enforcer doesn't respond when a cheap shot happens. Never. It's literally their job, extra penalty and suspension be damned.
Interesting point, and it has at least some merit. But enforcers aren't on the ice for every shift, so they can't immediately respond if a dirty play happens. Someone else, who IS on the ice, will respond. The Instigator dissuades that response, and allows more cheap stuff to go unchecked. That's where you really see its effect.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Interesting point, and it has at least some merit. But enforcers aren't on the ice for every shift, so they can't immediately respond if a dirty play happens. Someone else, who IS on the ice, will respond. The Instigator dissuades that response, and allows more cheap stuff to go unchecked. That's where you really see its effect.

That's fair. I personally wouldn't give a crap about an instigator if I were on the ice and someone delivered a blindside hit targeting the head of my teammate. Some lines are meant to be crossed and you have to hold players accountable for their actions, instigator or not. But I at least get what you're saying here.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I kind of hate to revive this thread as it's been dorman for 48+hours and probably needs to die a natural death BUT . . .

I watched Ice Guardians last night for the first time, and it was a bit eye-opening. I still don't care to see a lot of fighting in the game, but watching this made me think. I have a more open mind about it, anyway. I am not persuaded that concussion/CTE is not unrelated, especially since they are essentially two separate things. As I understand the state of the medicine on it, you can develop CTE without having a long history of diagnosed concussions. It is the repeated blows. At any rate, the players make some good arguments about liberties taken, etc. I don't know, it just put the whole topic in a bit different light for me.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
This team is a joke. But hey ...let's celebrate the fact that the midget parade of Krug and Marchand are the ones responding to our guys getting run.

F McQuaid... who needs him?? That cap room from dealing him is really doing us wonders! Thank God we have Bjork to help sell tickets to the Notre Dame outdoor game!

This is great, great stuff. Clap clap clap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->