The Great Dale Weise Debate (& other ex-Hawks) volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This team needs a wake-up call badly .... The country club atmosphere needs to go, and it ain't gonna come from Q.

Just take a look at the hockey we are witnessing in the PO's. Does anyone think Hawks can compete at that level?
the only team that I think comes anywhere near resembling the Hawks would be the Caps who have a pretty veteran group...any team that still employs Orpik on the ice has my respect lol!!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This team needs a wake-up call badly .... The country club atmosphere needs to go, and it ain't gonna come from Q.

Just take a look at the hockey we are witnessing in the PO's. Does anyone think Hawks can compete at that level?
From what I hear, Gallant is a players coach as well, just like Q. Not every team needs a Keenan type. I don't disagree that this team needs a wake up call, but there are better ways to do it than hiring a POS like Keenan.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
From what I hear, Gallant is a players coach as well, just like Q. Not every team needs a Keenan type. I don't disagree that this team needs a wake up call, but there are better ways to do it than hiring a POS like Keenan.

But Gallant is employed. Status quo is not an option. Q needs to go before next October.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Keenan is a teacher and a tireless worker. In case anyone thinks Q would do a better job in the short term should read below:

Kunlun Red Star President and General Manager Raitis Pilsetnieks gave an interview to KHL.ru, in which he spoke about the 2017-18 season, the kind of system in place at this new club, and the global ambitions of Chinese hockey.

Loyalty to one's country
– Let us now talk about the KHL team, which is the public face of the club. After the success of the debut season, when the team qualified for the playoffs, expectations were understandably high. And the arrival of Mike Keenan, with so much experience and so many trophies under his belt, only served to intensify these expectations. What went wrong? Do you now consider Keenan's appointment a mistake?
– I'll answer the second question first: no, it was certainly not a mistake in any way! The main reason for the failures was the one I gave earlier – we were tackling too many tasks at once. Mike Keenan not only worked as the head coach of our KHL team, but we also asked him to share with us his vast experience in hockey organizational matters. And Keenan tackles everything with the same amazing energy. Taking charge of team affairs was only one of his functions, and I don't just mean he helped out with training methods.
Today, a head coach at a new, professional hockey club has to maintain harmony in the locker room, make sure the medical equipment is complete and up-to-date, supervise the guys pouring the ice, and even manage the cleaners – Keenan was involved in all of this, and tried to bring in the best of the practices he'd witnessed over his long career. He actively helped out with the new VHL and YHL teams, checked that all was well, offered advice and suggestions, and it was the same with the women's team and the juniors.
That is probably why he sometimes seemed distant from the team. Yes, the results were disappointing and there is no point in denying that, but Keenan improved many of the processes and habits at the club, and the infrastructure he set down will develop further. Mike himself will continue to work for the club as a consultant, because he is still a member of our International Coordinating Council. So we still value his experience, even if he is no longer on the coaching bench.

Entire article:
Raitis Pilsetnieks: Inviting Keenan was no mistake

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The difference between Q and Gallant are day and Knight.

Gallant, team is responsive, non-robotic and doesn't play by rote. They exit their zone quickly and have a purpose to their play. They bump guys off the puck when the situation calls for it.

Q, none of the above.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
The difference between Q and Gallant are day and Knight.

Gallant, team is responsive, non-robotic and doesn't play by rote. They exit their zone quickly and have a purpose to their play. They bump guys off the puck when the situation calls for it.

Q, none of the above.

Team is anything but robotic in Quenneville's "system". Quenneville has teammates bumping into each other chasing the puck in the D-zone (see Jurco/Anisimov). It's a total zoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Team is anything but robotic in Quenneville's "system". Quenneville has teammates bumping into each other chasing the puck in the D-zone (see Jurvo/Anisimov). It's a total zoo.

:laugh: Reminded me of that sketch I drew for @LDF, hope everything is all good with him.

E2A17B3F-6F4A-46D5-8AC0-6A2610FFA6BD.jpeg

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Why is Keenan being brought up as a candidate...hire Colliton and call it a day. The guy has been winning with any team he’s around and he seems like a sharp, thoughtful guy.

Bet on him to right the ship and if he fails then make wholesale front office changes and start the rebuild with a new coach/gm. Should be an obvious organizational decision at this point. Q is not the guy to coach this team anymore.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Why is Keenan being brought up as a candidate...hire Colliton and call it a day. The guy has been winning with any team he’s around and he seems like a sharp, thoughtful guy.

Bet on him to right the ship and if he fails then make wholesale front office changes and start the rebuild with a new coach/gm. Should be an obvious organizational decision at this point. Q is not the guy to coach this team anymore.
When talking about replacing Q people seem to be confusing "more accomplished" with "better". If you think coaches should only be replaced with a more accomplished coach then our only option is to talk Scotty out of retirement. I think anyone with a current, 5 man unit system would be better than Q right now though.

It's just odd thinking back to last season though. Preseason gave me a lot of hope that Q had opened up his system again, then a few games into the season it was back to dmen hanging back and everyone going to their spots. It opened up again at the end of the season too once we were pretty much done.

I'm holding out hope that he'll change even though his system has got progressively more conservative since 2013. After this season I just don't think McD will let him be fired mid season so if he starts next year he's probably here all year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Blackhawks, the NHL as a whole really, really need to get their **** together on concussions, and the cultural norms they've established that increase their frequency, and the likelihood of players hiding and playing through them.

Enough romanticizing BS macho 'play hurt' culture.

Brains aren't bones, and they aren't muscles, and just because you CAN play (ie, you don't lose mechanical function like you do with a torn muscle or a broken bone) doesn't mean you should.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Blaming NHL alone is nonsense

NHLPA and Players have as much responsibility in this.

I'd order the blame as

NHL >> NHLPA >>>> Players

I do think players need to be more curious, and stand up for their health more rather than be bullied into playing hurt through 'hockey culture' norms.

That said, most NHL players enter the nhl between 18-20, after barely getting a high-school education and being indoctrinated into hockey culture through junior leagues. The adults in the room, for a lack of a better term, need to start stepping in when the players refuse to put long-term perspective over short-term gain, at least when the kind of consequences we're discussing are on the line.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Blaming NHL alone is nonsense

NHLPA and Players have as much responsibility in this.

Nah. You've got guys that are not of sound mind making life altering decisions for the benefit of the team that won't remember the next several hours. Hockey culture as a whole is the most to blame, but it definitely flows downhill and the teams are above the talent.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Agree but the NHL saying there is no correlation between CTE and concussions is asinine. The issue starts from the top and flows down.

I'm probably way over my skis here, but I'm guessing that's strictly for liability purposes.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I'm probably way over my skies here, but I'm guessing that's strictly for liability purposes.

Well yeah, but the problem is that allegedly they've been telling players there's no connection between concussions and future problems for much longer than they've been making that claim publicly.

The question is whether the NHL knew otherwise, or if they really are every bit as dumb as we think they are.

...though I'm not sure claiming stupidity carries water at that scale of liability either.

The NFL paid a billion to put this behind them. We'll see what the NHL does.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Everythings not ok: A sobering admission from Nick Boynton.

Everything's Not O.K. | By Nick Boynton

Great read. It's awful what these guys are dealing with. And reading some of this stuff makes me start to question things going on in my own life that could be the result of beating the hell out of my body playing competitive hockey for 12+ years of my life. Also makes me question what I did to other people on the ice.

I wasn't a dirty player, by any means. But I absolutely annihilated people every chance I got. I had numerous open ice hits that kids didn't get up for 5+ minutes afterwards, and one in particular, where I hit someone so hard that I cracked his helmet in 3 places and knocked it off his head, and the kid got up without it on, then left the bench a few minutes later holding his head, and never came back on the ice. These were mostly in highschool, and I was relentless in my hitting then. And they were clean hits the majority of the time(we all have a bad one here and there), but I still feel bad about it. The previous hit I mentioned... was a clean shoulder on shoulder hit, with me going full speed on the backcheck, and him cutting across the blueline with the puck, with his head down. A picture perfect opportunity for a massive open-ice hit. I think his helmet cracked from his head hitting the ice so hard, and it came off after that. In hindsight, after learning all I have about concussions and head injuries since I stopped playing on organized teams, I should have let up more on a lot of my hits because I've likely caused a ton of damage to the brain of a lot of people over the years. And I feel shitty about it.

I'm glad more and more players are speaking out on the issues, though. They need to keep going in the right direction with this stuff, and players need to keep coming forward and telling their stories for the betterment of the sport.

Reactions: LordKOTL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad