The Great Dale Weise Debate (& other ex-Hawks) volume 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bolland was only a year removed from a 47 point season and was coming off a great playoff run during the Cup (16 pts in 22 GP), he was a young center with a stellar reputation in the defensive end. They easily could have moved him but I don't think there was any desire to do so when you consider our lack of depth at center. Buff wasn't needed on defense (Keith, Seabs, Campbell, Hammer, plus Leddy in the pipeline) and winger that averaged 34 points/82 and had questions about his effort/conditioning was not as big of a priority as a younger player being penciled in as a 2C.

I could be wrong but I remember Bolland being harder to move OR he was penciled as the 2C of the future? LOL it was almost a decade ago....

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
I could be wrong but I remember Bolland being harder to move OR he was penciled as the 2C of the future? LOL it was almost a decade ago....
It was the latter (although the former may have been true too, who knows?). The Hawks were hoping he would take another step and be a 50-60 point 2C. Bolland was really our only natural C left after Toews.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Based on what exactly? Keenan wins wherever he goes. He could also offer a lot of value through his experience to a Colliton or a Hossa as his successor.
He has won 1 stanley Cup in his career, 8 different teams.

In his 20 seasons as a head coach, he has been either fired, missed the playoffs, or lost in round 1 in 13 of those seasons.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Bolland could have been moved to keep Buff for '11-'12. After that we had cap space from the Campbell trade so we could have re-signed him.
Bolland at the time was far more important to the team than Buff was. Bolland was shutting down the other teams best every night and putting up 40-50pts.

Reactions: JaegerDice

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He has won 1 stanley Cup in his career, 8 different teams.

In his 20 seasons as a head coach, he has been either fired, missed the playoffs, or lost in round 1 in 13 of those seasons.

As a Hawks fan you witnessed first hand, a typical overachieving team with Keenan behind the bench. If you refuse to see that, oh well.

Q must be better than any coach in the league. After all he has 3 Cups. Right? :sarcasm:

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Bolland at the time was far more important to the team than Buff was. Bolland was shutting down the other teams best every night and putting up 40-50pts.

I understood and agreed with the logic at the time but if we're playing the hindsight game he was the guy that should have gone.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
As a Hawks fan you witnessed first hand, a typical overachieving team with Keenan behind the bench. If you refuse to see that, oh well.

Q must be better than any coach in the league. After all he has 3 Cups. Right? :sarcasm:
Unfortunately, I was too young to remember those years. But did he really overachieve? He had great players, and a hall of fame goalie in net. But my point still stands, he hasn't won every where he has been. What about all the teams that underacheived under him? Do we just ignore those?

And I don't believe I said anything about Q in my post. Just letting you know the facts about Keenan.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Eddie O claims the 94 team is a team that tuned out Kenan and won despite his coaching

Yeah not sure of the hawks team with several and a couple borderline out of it Hofers overachieved. Also he then notably underachieved the year prior in the joke of a round 1 bow out.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Any team with history's greatest leader would've won in '94.

messier-canucks.jpg

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Modern NHL goalies are too sensitive to endure Keenan

He used to love pulling goalies for random #### and then reinserting them back in all of a sudden

Keenan is a dinosaur and he is not a fit for modern NHL

Look at his last team in NHL. It was a slow , old school hockey club that got bounced out by a young , speedy , aggressive Hawks in round 1

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Modern NHL goalies are too sensitive to endure Keenan

He used to love pulling goalies for random #### and then reinserting them back in all of a sudden

Keenan is a dinosaur and he is not a fit for modern NHL

Look at his last team in NHL. It was a slow , old school hockey club that got bounced out by a young , speedy , aggressive Hawks in round 1

Would you rather have Q for another year or roll the dice on Keenan for a year?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Would you rather have Q for another year or roll the dice on Keenan for a year?

I would rather have Stanley taking reigns for a year then Keenan behind bench..

Keenan expired long time ago as a viable coaching candidate and has been disaster everywhere since departing Rangers for most part

Did you forget how toxic he made the Blues locker room (All the players hated his guts) and his battles with players in Vancouver that tore apart locker room

Reactions: BK

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, nothing like an unexpected 9000 character URL on the first image I attempted to post.

And I'm not a Q hater, but even if I was a Q hater I'd prefer to stick with him over rolling the dice on Kennan.

Reactions: BK

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I would rather have Stanley taking reigns for a year then Keenan behind bench..

Keenan expired long time ago as a viable coaching candidate and has been disaster everywhere since departing Rangers for most part

Did you forget how toxic he made the Blues locker room (All the players hated his guts) and his battles with players in Vancouver that tore apart locker room

I know, and I do agree that the modern player would likely mesh even less with Keenan.

I’m not advocating going after Keenan.

That said, ideally I would want Colliton to get one more year of experience and then take over but not take over from Q. So who would coach this team for 1 season, Keenan and Hitchcock are the only names that come to mind. I wouldn’t mind Hitch for one season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I know, and I do agree that the modern player would likely mesh even less with Keenan.

I’m not advocating going after Keenan.

That said, ideally I would want Colliton to get one more year of experience and then take over but not take over from Q. So who would coach this team for 1 season, Keenan and Hitchcock are the only names that come to mind. I wouldn’t mind Hitch for one season.
I would want nothing to do with either of those coaches.

I would rather go after AV than them. Not that he would be my first choice.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I would want nothing to do with either of those coaches.

I would rather go after AV than them. Not that he would be my first choice.

For sure, I mean, I don’t know how to tell if a coach is ready. Hopefully Colliton is ready now and will be announced as the new HC as soon as the offseason starts. Then we don’t have to worry about any other scenarios.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
This team needs a wake-up call badly .... The country club atmosphere needs to go, and it ain't gonna come from Q.

Just take a look at the hockey we are witnessing in the PO's. Does anyone think Hawks can compete at that level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad