TV: The Grand Tour

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I'm really liking this season. I'm not doing anywhere near as many facepalms at scripted BS or the fat American. It's much much better in my opinion.

Episode 8 is out now. Right now I'm watching episode 7 and it's fantastic. The segment on Audi/Lancia is brilliant. There's one part where Clarkson and some "inspectors" are having lunch that left me shaking my head in astonishment, in a good way. I don't want to give it away though. But this segment is in my opinion one of the best ever - including the old Top Gear.

Last edited:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
They always do a great job when they talk about automotive history. Clarkson in particular is phenomenal when narrating that type of stuff and I'd really love to see them do it more often.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm really liking this season. I'm not doing anywhere near as many facepalms at scripted BS or the fat American. It's much much better in my opinion.

Episode 8 is out now. Right now I'm watching episode 7 and it's fantastic. The segment on Audi/Lancia is brilliant. There's one part where Clarkson and some "inspectors" are having lunch that left me shaking my head in astonishment, in a good way. I don't want to give it away though. But this segment is in my opinion one of the best ever - including the old Top Gear.
Recency bias. The Ford vs Ferrari and Audi vs Lancia segments were very good, but they don't come close to some of the car challenges they did in developing countries in Top Gear. Those were captivating and in The Grand Tour I just find the creativity lacking, honestly. I've enjoyed the show for the most part, but it's no longer must-watch TV like Top Gear used to be.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Recency bias. The Ford vs Ferrari and Audi vs Lancia segments were very good, but they don't come close to some of the car challenges they did in developing countries in Top Gear. Those were captivating and in The Grand Tour I just find the creativity lacking, honestly. I've enjoyed the show for the most part, but it's no longer must-watch TV like Top Gear used to be.
Are you referring to Top Gear specials like Vietnam and the North Pole?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Clarkson trying to smoke fish with his exhaust was pretty funny. I got a good chuckle out of his "Ewan McHammond" comment having watched Long Way Down a couple years ago.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Good episode but the challenge seemed too easy compared to the stuff they've done in the past. Episode 9 is the best non-special episode imo. Enjoyable from start to finish.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Good episode but the challenge seemed too easy compared to the stuff they've done in the past. Episode 9 is the best non-special episode imo. Enjoyable from start to finish.
I am towards to the end of season 2 and episode 9 (Magicians/Amphibious car) is absolutely the mark you want every episode to be at - that was vintage-golden-age Top Gear. Such a wonderful and enjoyable episode that was.

I do have a slight problem with how heavily edited the car challenges have been this season - I still suggest that season 1 and Top Gear is better in that regard. I want to see them build all these crazy cars, not go into the challenge with the cars already done as they did with the "fuel on the go" segment.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I really liked the first episode of this season; it feels even more like their best Top Gear episodes (the semi-specials where they'd do 1 trip but it wasn't the entire show like their true specials). It was funny & didn't feel as forced - much more of that (likely scripted but not feeling as scripted) banter which made Top Gear so special. I suspect they overthought the first season (which was good, but not what I had hoped), fixed many things in season 2 (which was better) and are (hopefully) finding their groove in season 3.

I heard a rumor that they plan for season four to not even really have a studio component and it's going to be all "specials", so to speak. Can anyone confirm that is a legit rumor?

Anyway, really looking forward to the next episode in Columbia.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I will say this: Columbia was not close to their Top Gear specials, but the "in studio" episodes feel very good. Detroit was well done, and even the stupid Europe Pickups was entertaining - because they caught audio of them being real & crapping on one another. Columbia just felt... really forced. Even the forced bits of the other two felt more natural, not sure how else to describe it.

I have accepted that they received silly money to make "not top gear", and nothing about any of the three (+ wilhelm) ever made me think they wouldn't welt a bit - but this season is very good, on it's own.

Imagine you worked for a company, and got paid well to have a laugh. Then you got fired, and someone else (publicly) paid you a ton more to do the same thing? You might tighten up a bit, and I think that is what we've seen. I honestly think the normal episodes this season feel the most "top gear" for me, and they are clearly getting more comfortable. The Top Gear specials were so, well, special, who wouldn't try too hard reproducing it? And specials are made early.

There is still little match for their banter on TV as "male banter". I legit talk to my friends like they talk to each other, and it's still fun to watch. Top Gear was some of the best TV I've ever seen; I'm cool with a solid facsimile, and even if they never hit the same high notes again, I'm diligent in watching what they produce. Anyone that liked Top Gear, I'd say Grand Tour is worth it (and much better than current BBC Top Gear).

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I will say this: Columbia was not close to their Top Gear specials, but the "in studio" episodes feel very good. Detroit was well done, and even the stupid Europe Pickups was entertaining - because they caught audio of them being real & crapping on one another. Columbia just felt... really forced. Even the forced bits of the other two felt more natural, not sure how else to describe it.

I have accepted that they received silly money to make "not top gear", and nothing about any of the three (+ wilhelm) ever made me think they wouldn't welt a bit - but this season is very good, on it's own.

Imagine you worked for a company, and got paid well to have a laugh. Then you got fired, and someone else (publicly) paid you a ton more to do the same thing? You might tighten up a bit, and I think that is what we've seen. I honestly think the normal episodes this season feel the most "top gear" for me, and they are clearly getting more comfortable. The Top Gear specials were so, well, special, who wouldn't try too hard reproducing it? And specials are made early.

There is still little match for their banter on TV as "male banter". I legit talk to my friends like they talk to each other, and it's still fun to watch. Top Gear was some of the best TV I've ever seen; I'm cool with a solid facsimile, and even if they never hit the same high notes again, I'm diligent in watching what they produce. Anyone that liked Top Gear, I'd say Grand Tour is worth it (and much better than current BBC Top Gear).
It has great moments,as a whole.
In africa when the ocean water poured on May the first time and Jezza almost fell over laughing. Its great when you see true moments of unforced anger or comedy or just tomfoolery.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
A lot of the challenges have been really weak. Episode 7 was them just driving old cars through Scotland. I thought episode 8 was going to be amazing with the RVs but it just ended up being wasted potential. That's not to say it's been bad. It's been mostly good, but they've really struggled to hit great, which is what Top Gear did all the time. I guess maybe we've been spoiled in that regard.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
A lot of the challenges have been really weak. Episode 7 was them just driving old cars through Scotland. I thought episode 8 was going to be amazing with the RVs but it just ended up being wasted potential. That's not to say it's been bad. It's been mostly good, but they've really struggled to hit great, which is what Top Gear did all the time. I guess maybe we've been spoiled in that regard.

Banter's been top notch.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Clarkson confirmed that Amazon has ordered a new series consisting only of special episodes.

read somewhere that Prime feels the show did not lead to the amount of new subscriptions that they were hoping for and that lead to the decision to reduce the number of episodes

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Still have an Amazon Prime free trial I have yet to redeem.

I was always a big fan of the long road trip episodes, the long race episodes, and the "wacky" episodes like where they would turn shitty vehicle into spaceships or something.

Will this hit the spot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad