TV: The Grand Tour

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Related, I've heard that the rebooted Top Gear America on BBC America that was supposed to air this summer is on hold pending a lawsuit over a wrongful death. Anybody know anything?

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Used Prime Day to pick up a 1/2 off membership to prime (Yay grad school discount) so figure I will finish Season 1 soon.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The show is so much better this season. It's basically just Top Gear again which is a good thing. They clearly paid attention to the feedback that came in after season one.
100% agreed. I really wanted to like season 1 because those three have brought me so much joy/fun over many years but, honestly, it was kind of weak. They are back to what they do best this season it appears: silly banter and awesome cars.

I also think it helps that they are NOT moving the studio each time. I always thought part of the charm of "old" top gear is the inside jokes with the crowd about distinctly british things (road laws, politicians, etc - it was more natural for all 3 of them) and now they don't have to force/pander to a crowd they don't really know any more. Plus dropping the terrible "american" character and celebrity brain crash would have improved the show 2 fold by themselves...

Lastly, I had a lot of faith when I watched some interview with Clarkson (might have read it) a few weeks ago. Basically, the person interviewing him congratulated him on the successful first season and his was response was basically "Thanks, but in all honesty, it was rubbish". That's when I really figured they heard the feedback & went back to what they did so well, instead of trying too hard to live up to the hype/money and moving away from what made them so entertaining (being actual, real, friends everyone can relate to, even when doing things we can only dream of doing ourselves).

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
100% agreed. I really wanted to like season 1 because those three have brought me so much joy/fun over many years but, honestly, it was kind of weak. They are back to what they do best this season it appears: silly banter and awesome cars.

I also think it helps that they are NOT moving the studio each time. I always thought part of the charm of "old" top gear is the inside jokes with the crowd about distinctly british things (road laws, politicians, etc - it was more natural for all 3 of them) and now they don't have to force/pander to a crowd they don't really know any more. Plus dropping the terrible "american" character and celebrity brain crash would have improved the show 2 fold by themselves...

Lastly, I had a lot of faith when I watched some interview with Clarkson (might have read it) a few weeks ago. Basically, the person interviewing him congratulated him on the successful first season and his was response was basically "Thanks, but in all honesty, it was rubbish". That's when I really figured they heard the feedback & went back to what they did so well, instead of trying too hard to live up to the hype/money and moving away from what made them so entertaining (being actual, real, friends everyone can relate to, even when doing things we can only dream of doing ourselves).

Spot on as to the British humor. I'm American but most of the funniest bits of Top Gear, especially in the news discussions, involved the three making fun of their own country. It doesn't work when they try to apply that humor outside what they know best. For instance, the hate for Peugeot is something I completely don't understand living in the States but it was consistently the source of some of the funniest Top Gear moments.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Spot on as to the British humor. I'm American but most of the funniest bits of Top Gear, especially in the news discussions, involved the three making fun of their own country. It doesn't work when they try to apply that humor outside what they know best. For instance, the hate for Peugeot is something I completely don't understand living in the States but it was consistently the source of some of the funniest Top Gear moments.
Exactly. I didn't "get" half the jokes but it was still funny and it felt right - they were loose and just having fun. That style is why I was drawn to Top Gear originally.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
That new Ford GT Clarkson is driving in episode 2 is absolutely gorgeous. Maybe the best looking supercar ever (IMO).

I think the reveal of the McLaren Senna has put everyone on notice.

Senna.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
A lot of people jumping the gun and saying the 2nd season is better than the first. I'm not so sure after seeing that office race. It was blatant filler, and that's putting it lightly.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The 1st season was awful. I didn't want to say it at the time because I really do love these guys but it was cringeworthy for most of the season. The office bit was bad but the show is exponentially better just due to the fact they got rid of the American and celebrity brain crash and stopped acting incredibly awkward all the time.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'd say it was another solid episode. They are so much more comfortable this year than last and I am very happy to see it. Excited to hear/see that they have an upcoming special in Columbia and then a mini one somewhere in Africa; I assume that means Columbia is 2 episodes (2ish hours) and Africa is a single episode like they used to do on Top Gear but who knows.

With their new looseness and turn back to what made them great, I'm excited to see them out in the world for a longer set of time. Hopefully they keep the challenge stuff from Top Gear but I did read that, if they had some form of challenge, it wouldn't be "take this $1000 car through the amazon" any longer. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though, as they've proved they "got it" for this season, so we'll see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad