Post-Game Talk (GBU): The good, the bad, the sad and the ugly

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Good

-Came out strong. Everyone was involved trying to create scoring chances.

- a dman scored. let the people rejoice!

Bad

- Reinhart's turnover and other mistakes leading to the 1st goal.

- Okposo not scoring after Bishop turn it over to him

- Disco's decision to put out the 4th line vs Johnson/Kucherov with 17 secs left in 2nd. In our end for a faceoff no less. Carrier then botches a clear and they score. That goal was pretty much the nail in the coffin after we had renewed life from Franson's goal.

- Girgs was bad tonight.

-watching this team live is not very enjoyable

The Sad (as in I felt feel bad)

They really were playing great to start the game and couldn't score. I felt bad for them to be honest.

The ugly

Our ES offense is just brutal.

Last edited:

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Good - it was pretty exciting at some points with some great scoring chances.

Bad - it was not exciting for the majority of time and we just can't finish.

Ugly - we are on a losing streak with injuries racking up that is sending us to the bottom of the standings and back to a tank year. It might not be a bad thing if we could get one more big guy and shed some bad contracts this year but it's gonna be ugly.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Ugly - we are on a losing streak with injuries racking up that is sending us to the bottom of the standings and back to a tank year. It might not be a bad thing if we could get one more big guy and shed some bad contracts this year but it's gonna be ugly.

Good: a defenseman scored

The bad: that Kane is taking faceoffs for Reinhart, and that they continue to use Kane-Reinhart-Okposo.
Just Leave
F-L-G, put
Carrier-Reinhart-Okposo,
Kane-Girgensons-Baptiste Moulson-Grant-Rodrigues

The Sad: That another tank (Going Nowhere for Nolan) might be our silver lining of this year.

Oakstream

Let's go Buffalo!
Aug 10, 2010
Sweden
I said in the GD thread that Tampa would won 4-1. Too bad I didn't bet any money cause this team Is predictably bad. When will they score more than two goals again?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Good: I happened to wake up at 1:30 and could watch this (in Germany)
Didn't mind Fedun, though maybe it's this organizations total lack of a PMD colored my opinion. Fedun's career line. 4 seasons, 13 games, 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 points. Not bad.

Bad:
Reinhart giving away a goal changed the game.
Gionta/Kane getting caught below the blue line on a PK, leading to a 5 on 2 and a goal.
This organization's depth is horrible.
Just....****...this is miserable.

Ugly:
Having to work today after waking up at 1:30 am to watch that **** show.
The Sabres at home over the past 5 years.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I think he's been ok at center but I don't have big expectations for him there. For now he's much better off playing on the wing with Jack and he agrees with that. He's a bright young guy and a good self-evaluator.

He's not the kind of player who adjusts fast to the NHL, the small, fast, skilled guys - the Kanes/Gaudreaus/Marners/Konecnys/Domis/Ennis - are more finished products. We won't see the best from Reinhart until he's 23-25, that's what I think anyway.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Reinhart playing 1C is definitely a tough assignment for him at this point (maybe ever). That doesn't mean he can't be good at C down the line-up on a healthy roster. I wouldn't come to any conclusions on that for another year or so.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
- Disco's decision to put out the 4th line vs Johnson/Kucherov with 17 secs left in 2nd. In our end for a faceoff no less. Carrier then botches a clear and they score. That goal was pretty much the nail in the coffin after we had renewed life from Franson's goal.

This really happened? Have to admit I was basically checked out doing other things while the game was on in the background. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but years of watching disco make bonehead matchup decisions in Pittsburgh like this kinda makes it expected at this point.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Like I said in another thread - Bylsma has already proven that his system is not effective come playoff time, where he repeatedly was knocked out earlier than expected. If you can't make the SC with the rosters he had then (playing HIS system, not Therrien's), then what else actually matters?

There's this saying I cut out of the Niagara Gazette way back in 1987 and it sticks in my head to this day...

If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always had.

I hope someone can drop that note in Bylsma's mailbox...and Kane's.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Reinhart playing 1C is definitely a tough assignment for him at this point (maybe ever). That doesn't mean he can't be good at C down the line-up on a healthy roster. I wouldn't come to any conclusions on that for another year or so.

People seem to forget he's within his first 10 games of playing center at the NHL level. And he's on the top line. It's not exactly an easy thing to do.

I was pissed at that **** shift he had last night, but fully expect a guy who just turned 21, and has his IQ, to adjust and learn with age. I've always been excited to see how good he can be in his mid to late 20s rather than his early 20s. Players like him are the ones that I would bet on improving consistently over the years rather than booming early and staying at that level.

It's weird how I hear people acting like he's always going to be a complimentary player and for some reason can't improve at center. Even though the guy who was just 20 recently started playing center at the NHL for the first time.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
People seem to forget he's within his first 10 games of playing center at the NHL level. And he's on the top line. It's not exactly an easy thing to do.

I was pissed at that **** shift he had last night, but fully expect a guy who just turned 21, and has his IQ, to adjust and learn with age. I've always been excited to see how good he can be in his mid to late 20s rather than his early 20s. Players like him are the ones that I would bet on improving consistently over the years rather than booming early and staying at that level.

It's weird how I hear people acting like he's always going to be a complimentary player and for some reason can't improve at center. Even though the guy who was just 20 recently started playing center at the NHL for the first time.

He is currently a complimentary player. I don't think he will always be that nor have I seen a lot of posters say he will be long term. But maybe they have and I'm not paying attention to it.

As for the age argument, that's always valid way to look at it and I agree. But, fair or not, people want to see more out of a 2nd overall pick in his 3rd post draft season. They want to see him doing what Eichel can do in terms of imposing himself on the game.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He is currently a complimentary player. I don't think he will always be that nor have I seen a lot of posters say he will be long term. But maybe they have and I'm not paying attention to it.

As for the age argument, that's always valid way to look at it and I agree. But, fair or not, people want to see more out of a 2nd overall pick in his 3rd post draft season. They want to see him doing what Eichel can do in terms of imposing himself on the game.

It's like they didn't ever watch him in Juniors or at the WJC. Never was his game, never will be.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Kane has officially made me sick.

It's one thing to give him ice time to try and get him going. It's a totally different thing to keep running him out after lazy mistakes, nonchalant giveaways, half-assed backchecking, and a total disregard for the other four teammates he's on the ice with.

It ruins credibility. I wonder if he was actually excited for Franson on the goal or if he only emoted because he knew he'd get the primary helper.

I've never had issues with his on-ice play until he came back from the ribs. I understand how painful of an injury it can be, and how long it takes to recover, but still...he can not be as much of a banger as he has been and still put in the effort.

- Okposo is the first forward in a long, long time who - after each and every decision made by him - I find myself saying "I would have done the exact same thing"...

- the Baptiste pass that was shot out by a ruger into his own high slot was the coup de gras for me

- Franson has had a season worth acknowledging

- I would roll Larsson's line as often as possible, including the incorporation of a more offensive lean

- forgetting the centers, this team needs to improve on draws collectively...W/L at the dot aside, too many draws that should've been wins were losses because of second effort or lack of from wings

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Not you. But there are a good amount of posters on here that think he will always be a "complimentary player." Which is crazy to me, but whatever.

I agree with the 2nd part for the most part. But he's obviously going through a rough patch right now, especially with the switch to center. Like, every other good young player, I'm sure he's going to break out of it. It's fine to be frustrated in the short term. My point was that it's strange that some act like he will always struggle as a center (or won't ever be more than a complimentary player) because of a rough patch at 20-21.

It's like they didn't ever watch him in Juniors or at the WJC. Never was his game, never will be.

He can definitely impose himself on the game more. Not stylistically "like Eichel," in terms of impact though. He's struggled a bit recently, and I honestly expect him to be better for it down the line. He wins battles sometimes, he loses battles sometimes. He's moves his feet sometimes, he doesn't move his feet sometimes. Since we see it sometimes, we know he can do it. He just needs to do it consistently to be a great player (that comes with age and learning from mistakes). His confidence isn't exactly high right now I'm sure. But when he does those things consistently, it opens up doors for him to use his offensive talent more.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Sam is getting caught watching again and again, and when he is center, these missed assignments lead to goals. Eichel did this a bit this far into his first season too, but got much better by the end of the year.

But this team is completely demoralized. They dominated the play for over half that game and still ended up being behind for all that effort. This system doesn't work, period. These players are obviously struggling with it.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'm not even going to comment on the hockey. Too painful.

My criticism today is musical:

First, the intro/outro/interstitial theme music MSG is using this year for the broadcasts is horrid. It's like bad elevator music. Who picked this? Bring back that Hurricane 2000 or something like that.

Second, they need to can the person who does the music in the arena. That guy (or gal) has no idea how to generate energy in the building. Way too much dead space and poor song selection. Listen to the arena music for some of the away games. The Blues had some good tunes. The Kings games I go to are always very high energy. Like it or not, it actually does have a big effect on how into the game and loud the average fan gets. Key Bank is dead, and it's not just because of the poor play.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
They only lost 4-1 to a powerhouse team. Noticed some fan's started to boo after the final buzzer, might have been louder but the arena seemed to empty out halfway through the 3rd.

They sounded humiliated during post game interviews, at least the losing streak is affecting them. Biggest personal concern would be complacency, most of them don't have a history of winning as professionals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad