Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and th.....zzzzzzz: Eh? Oh, Ugly. Right. Silky Mitts Headlines in LA

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think Saturday night will be a nice measuring stick. SJ has seemingly found their stride after Kane returned from suspension and they signed Marleau. They kicked the tar out of the Canes the other night, and Carolina had looked great prior to that game.

One thing that makes the test iffy is 2 days of rest at work vs 1 day of rest traveling.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
So with how well Mitts line did, is that a chicken or egg where maybe they were freshest and could have done more with more minutes or was it that they got just enough to be good at the minutes they had?

If Sheary can have this sort of impact on Mittelstadt, sign me up.

I was thinking it was nice to see Casey have his best game so far on the second of a back to back. But that line plays so few minutes it makes sense they'd be the freshest. :laugh:

Reactions: Chainshot

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
U: this kinda felt like a 10-game-win-streak win. Another 20 minute performance with the goalie standing on his head. Just gotta get these games cleaned up and keep the boys motivated.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Seems like every time we come up with a "this is going to be a good test" kind of situation, they've answered it successfully. That certainly wasn't the prettiest win and they got outplayed most of the game, but they found a way to get 2 points and in a convincing manner when you look at the scoresheet. I really like this team so far. I dreaded watching most games last year and found myself not bothering a lot of the time, but I'm actually looking forward to games again now.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Eichel’s line got caved last night. Even when they are going against top teams and players, it’s rare to see them get so badly dominated. Hopefully they were just tired from back to backs on the west coast.

Reactions: brian_griffin

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
yes.
I think Saturday night will be a nice measuring stick. SJ has seemingly found their stride after Kane returned from suspension and they signed Marleau. They kicked the tar out of the Canes the other night, and Carolina had looked great prior to that game.

Yep........ this next game was the one that worried me when looking at the road trip.

Didn't see the Ducks game coming........

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
U: this kinda felt like a 10-game-win-streak win. Another 20 minute performance with the goalie standing on his head. Just gotta get these games cleaned up and keep the boys motivated.
Back to back on the west coast, every team is going to look like that.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
G: Any line on any given night can go off and carry the weight in scoring if needed. Not just Eichel's line.

B: Stats but I'll give em a pass on this one.

U: I fell asleep twice during this game.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The 2nd period was bad, but I thought they held it down in the third. Anyone have any stats that can prove that? The Kings seemed to give in after the PP.

Overall, it was a bad game, but the team was likely exhausted. I'd like to see the stats on Eastern teams record against Western teams on the 2nd of a back to back after a 10pm game.

The team needs to be better, though. These last two wins were reminiscent of last year.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Those are some brutal corsi numbers, especially Risto-McCabe and the Eichel line
McCabe-Risto have been especially awful during this trip. I haven't been a fan of Dahlin-Miller either, but Dahlin played much better yesterday, though still not to the level I hope he reaches this year. Miller didnt look himself. Scandella had a couple of really bad turnovers. Joki moved the puck well, but also had a few turnovers.

It's still a bit concerning that these big aggressive teams seem to own us in the corsi.

That top line has not generated much at 5v5 it feels like. When they do score it’s often a result of an individual effort (see: 2x Eichel goal solo effort, Reinhart goal solo effort).
I love Oloffson but he's not a top-line player. Reinhart has been meh this season. Eichel has been inconsistent, but when he's on, he's incredible. I'd rather spread the wealth.
Not just B2B, it was also 3 in 4 (with that cross country trip in there to boot). This was one where you take the win however you can get it.
Damn, good point. San Jose is going to be TOUGH. Hopefully they spend the next day in the spa. Lord knows they need it.

Last edited:

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Back to back, west coast, ok whatever.
Regardless, that's two games in a row where the team looked like absolute dog crap in their own zone for a significant portion of the time.
I saw 4 players below the goal line during a penalty kill, weak clearing attempts, bouncing passes, chasing assignments... just brutal.

That's gotta get cleaned up.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
McCabe-Risto have been especially awful during this trip. I haven't been a fan of Dahlin-Miller either, but Dahlin played much better yesterday, though still not to the level I hope he reaches this year. Miller didnt look himself. Scandella had a couple of really bad turnovers. Joki moved the puck well, but also had a few turnovers.

It's still a bit concerning that these big aggressive teams seem to own us in the corsi.

I love Oloffson but he's not a top-line player. Reinhart has been meh this season. Eichel has been inconsistent, but when he's on, he's incredible. I'd rather spread the wealth.

Damn, good point. San Jose is going to be TOUGH. Hopefully they spend the next day in the spa. Lord knows they need it.

I read that Kruger is giving them the day off today and they don't do morning skates on game day anymore, so they should be somewhat rested going into SJ.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hutton is looking like a legit starting goaltender and had a phenomenal game , and like the other poster said this is by far the best game in Middlestadt’s career with a 3 point night
Loving what we’re seeing from Hutts right now, but let’s not forget he started last season red hot too. Glad to see they played a great game and the 3rd line is finally kicking in some offense!

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
This team is for real. Season is now 10% done so it isn't like its just a week into the season. We are 36 wins away from a true +.500 season with 74 games to go.

This team can push 45-50 wins and a top 3 divisional spot. If Hutton can give us above average goaltending then this team can get out of round 1. The offense is there and so is the defense. Coaching is 100x better from the last 5 years. As long as we get top 15 goaltending this is a legit playoff team that no one would want to face.

After last years super start, Hutton went south really quick by December. He cannot handle the wear and tear of heavy usage. Ullmark is going to have to really step up this year. Just my two cents from what I've seen from home though and his past.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Eichel’s line got caved last night. Even when they are going against top teams and players, it’s rare to see them get so badly dominated. Hopefully they were just tired from back to backs on the west coast.
Last year the Sabres fate was at the mercy of how Eichel performed. We've seen these lulls and they almost always coincided with a loss. If anything is different about the sabres from last year's team, it's the way the supporting cast has stepped up and helped win games. Yesterday it was the goal tending, coaching, and the mittlestadt line. Other games it was Johansson/Skinner. The Larsson line won a game for them.

Things are looking up.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
It was a good joke.
He was one of only a few that had high danger chances .. The ones that weren't missed , Hutton did a great job.. The team worked it's azs off to limit their chances although nobody liked the Alamo shell they got him the shutout.. L.A. came hard until middle of the thurd and we succesfully moved play back to their end.. Larry ko and grr.. Johansson was a great get.. Anyway.. Great win on the back to back road .

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
This was a game that makes fancy stats look ridiculous.. Should be context ed three goal lead etc.. ..

Oh.. Mitts believes again and might just keep backing it up and stop reading his bad press forum garbage.. 20..although it may have motivated him to get closer to nhl shape

Reactions: Dirty Dog

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
It’s nice to see the depth players step up when the top guys don’t bring it for a game. That’s how you get to 40+ wins. Our top guys can probably carry us to 25+. But when they aren’t going we need guys to step up. Last few years that was never going to happen. This year it’s been happening which is nice.

I feel bad for all you east coasters. I fell asleep last night near the end of the 2nd and I’m on the west coast. Rest up everyone! San Jose on Saturday.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad