OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Bought the Kobo Libra yesterday - it was $20 off at Chapters. I thought about getting it or the Kindle Oasis, which was also on sale today for Prime Days and decided on the Libra.

First impressions of the Libra are really positive. I’ve seen and played with it a few times at Chapters last year but thought it had a really old fashioned clunkiness to it.
Compared to the Kobo Glo HD - my previous device, the major improvements for me were larger screen size, 7 vs 6 inches, comfort light - less blue light and more storage. I have some large file size books, in the 150 - 300 mb range and I like to save articles to Pocket to read later on my Kobo. These articles take up a ridiculous amount of space, who knows why but they do.

Overall, happy camper with the Libra.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
The Story of the Dinosaurs in 25 Discoveries: Amazing Fossils and the People Who Found Them (English Edition) by Donald R. Prothero.

A gifted paleontologist that knows how to communicate. Also dinosaurs.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The Story of the Dinosaurs in 25 Discoveries: Amazing Fossils and the People Who Found Them (English Edition) by Donald R. Prothero.

A gifted paleontologist that knows how to communicate. Also dinosaurs.

I love reading science books that are written for all types of readers.

Reactions: Runner77

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
David Cornwell aka John le Carré, the writer of the intelligent spy books has passed away at 89 years of age.
I've been putting off rereading his Karla trilogy for years now, I might do it now as a tribute to the guy, it's solid stuff. His real life experiences are fascinating as well, the man definitely had an interesting life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I've been putting off rereading his Karla trilogy for years now, I might do it now as a tribute to the guy, it's solid stuff. His real life experiences are fascinating as well, the man definitely had an interesting life.

I believe he describes his father in "A Perfect Spy". His father was a con man, extremely charming. He also worked both for the MI5 and the MI6. I agree, time to re-read some of his books.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I believe he describes his father in "A Perfect Spy". His father was a con man, extremely charming. He also worked both for the MI5 and the MI6. I agree, time to re-read some of his books.
Just ordered a copy of his autobiography, The Pigeon Tunnel: Stories From My Life.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Have read a few books lately:

Burke's Law: A Life in Hockey-Brian Burke

He's had an interesting career from player to gm to exec and now the media. Among his key relationships he pointed to Lou Lamoriello(who convinced him to go to law school) Pat Quinn and Gary Bettman. He actually played one year with the Flyers AHL team that won the championship. Lots of background on his time as gm including trades, the drafting of Pavel Bure, the Ducks Cup run, his firings...lots of insight enjoyed it.

Beggars of Life-Jim Tully

Wanted to read the book before I watched the movie. Profound stories of riding the rails in the early 20th century, the adventure and dangers. The movie is only loosely based on the book but was good. The book was memorable.

Baby I Don't Care-Lee Server

Biography of Robert Mitchum. He also spent a time hoboing. Quite a colourful life and career lots of stories like three marines deciding one time to find out if he was as tough as his image. Got the impression that three sore marines regretted the encounter. Great read for fans.

Currently reading:

492077.jpg

Sergio was born into the business. Both his parents were actors his father became a director of note (under the name Roberto Roberti). His father's circle of friends included others in the Italian film industry including his god father Mario Bonnard who he would work with on several films. A lot of movies made in Italy in the 1950's he got the chance to work on some including Ben Hur. Reading about the movies he directed now.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Just ordered a copy of his autobiography, The Pigeon Tunnel: Stories From My Life.

I didn't even think about that! Thanks my "biography/autobiography person! :) Will get it as well. Very curious about his dad. In "A Perfect Spy" (I highly recommend that book) you feel that he is writing about his dad when he describes the main character's father. There is also an excellent BBC series with one of my favorite British actors Peter Egan as the main character.

Reactions: Chili and Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I just received a beautiful Folio Society edition of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. Can’t wait to get into it.

Just curious, how are these to read and look at? I grew up with something called "Illustrated Classics" that were in comic book format and basically heavily edited versions of the books. That is how I learned to know about authors like Joseph Conrad when I read "Lord Jim". Of course all of Jules Verne's books fit perfectly for that format. I visited family on an island in the Baltic Sea with Swedish Finnish population when I was 12 years old and my uncle and aunt really spoiled me. Their sons were 13 and 16 years older than I am and had moved away to the main town Mariehamn and my aunt especially loved having someone to cook for. Both their sons had left a large collection of comic books so I had a great summer. They owned land and fishing water in a nice lake so I was fishing and swimming during the days and read comic books (especially the Illustrated Classics) during nights while enjoying my aunt's cooking.

However this is something much more true to the original books so I am curious. Do you have more Folio Society books?

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Just curious, how are these to read and look at? I grew up with something called "Illustrated Classics" that were in comic book format and basically heavily edited versions of the books. That is how I learned to know about authors like Joseph Conrad when I read "Lord Jim". Of course all of Jules Verne's books fit perfectly for that format. I visited family on an island in the Baltic Sea with Swedish Finnish population when I was 12 years old and my uncle and aunt really spoiled me. Their sons were 13 and 16 years older than I am and had moved away to the main town Mariehamn and my aunt especially loved having someone to cook for. Both their sons had left a large collection of comic books so I had a great summer. They owned land and fishing water in a nice lake so I was fishing and swimming during the days and read comic books (especially the Illustrated Classics) during nights while enjoying my aunt's cooking.

However this is something much more true to the original books so I am curious. Do you have more Folio Society books?

It’s actually my first book from Folio Society, so I haven’t dug too deep into it yet. It’s an out of print copy that I found on eBay for a very reasonable price. However I did order brand new copies of the Folio Society Book of Children’s Poetry for my sister to read to my 6-month-old nephew and Catch 22 for her 15-year-old stepson. I’m going to leaf through them when they arrive, but my impression is that they’re timeless pieces that can be passed down for generations. Some of their editions, I do find a little bit garish and over-designed but for the most part, they seem to be very tastefully done. Their editions are mostly true to the original texts but enriched with illustrations and photographs. I can share some photos on here when I have the chance.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Rumour has it I am getting the new Obama book for Christmas. Anybody read it?

I bought myself the Brian Burke for Christmas. So, i will have a bit of reading to do in new year.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I've been reading lots of business / economics books. Currently reading a book about the geopolitics of oil I got from the library. I'd be interested in any good industry primers or valuation book recommendations.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It’s actually my first book from Folio Society, so I haven’t dug too deep into it yet. It’s an out of print copy that I found on eBay for a very reasonable price. However I did order brand new copies of the Folio Society Book of Children’s Poetry for my sister to read to my 6-month-old nephew and Catch 22 for her 15-year-old stepson. I’m going to leaf through them when they arrive, but my impression is that they’re timeless pieces that can be passed down for generations. Some of their editions, I do find a little bit garish and over-designed but for the most part, they seem to be very tastefully done. Their editions are mostly true to the original texts but enriched with illustrations and photographs. I can share some photos on here when I have the chance.
One of my favourites!

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I didn't even think about that! Thanks my "biography/autobiography person! :) Will get it as well. Very curious about his dad. In "A Perfect Spy" (I highly recommend that book) you feel that he is writing about his dad when he describes the main character's father. There is also an excellent BBC series with one of my favorite British actors Peter Egan as the main character.

Read the book a while ago. He saves the chapter on his dad for near the end. Quite the relationship with his father, as you mentioned the basis of a character in `A Perfect Spy`, he would get calls from different countries where his Dad was in trouble. A bunch of other interesting stories in the book from his life as a spy and author. Was a good read.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Unplugged Alpha. I pretty well already follow these philosophies but a great book for young and old men in navigating our relationships with women.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Gonna start reading Schopenhauer instead of watching Habs games to feel less pessimistic.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Read the book a while ago. He saves the chapter on his dad for near the end. Quite the relationship with his father, as you mentioned the basis of a character in `A Perfect Spy`, he would get calls from different countries where his Dad was in trouble. A bunch of other interesting stories in the book from his life as a spy and author. Was a good read.

There is a decent BBC series made based on the book. They have the North American version as well but it is 193 dollars, I can buy this and convert it to NTSC using software or just extract the video and play it on my laptop and hook up the laptop to the TV.

https://www.amazon.com/A-Perfect-Spy-Import-anglais/dp/B0007ZD6Y0

Reactions: Chili and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad