The golden age of Finnish hockey.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Until Vaakanainen, Välimäki and Juolevi actually show something vs adult players it's pointless to rank them ahead of Jokipakka, Lindbohm, Lindell etc, let alone Vatanen.

This.

Markus Granlund - Mikael Granlund - Teemu Pulkkinen
Artturi Lehkonen - Aleksander Barkov - Kasperi Kapanen
Mikko Rantanen - Teuvo Teräväinen - Jesse Puljujärvi
Teemu Hartikainen - Erik Haula - Mikka Salomäki
Joel Armia/Patrik Laine

Olli Määttä - Rasmus Ristolainen
Esa Lindell - Sami Vatanen
Petteri Lindbohm - Julius Honka
Ahti Oksanen - Ville Pokka

Juuse Saros
Ville Husso
Kaapo Kähkönen

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Sometimes it's just good to mix a little bit of fantasy with reality. We are in transformation period right now so it's actually the only thing you can do. Plus the fact these rosters are fun to read. Another thing to take into consideration is that none of the 'older' players mentioned are stars at the NHL level at this point. We are mostly just talking about established NHL'ers. To throw in a few examples - look at Granlund, Barkov Vatanen and Määttä. Each one of them are at the starting point of their NHL careers with potential of playing high end level game but not just quite there yet. Some of the guys obviously won't reach their ceilings but regarding the national team there's little doubt the future holds atleast 2 lines with top end NHL level scoring ability. Something of which I don't think Finland's ever had before.

marlcarp71

Jul 23, 2014
Hi Guys!

Have yoy heard news about Jarkko Ruutu? Does he play hockey anymore? I know he's been released from his try-out but happend to him after that?

Thanks!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Have yoy heard news about Jarkko Ruutu? Does he play hockey anymore? I know he's been released from his try-out but happend to him after that?
Looks like he hasn't found a new club. Hasn't announced retirement either.

And by the way, we're pretty certain he does not feature any way in the upcoming golden age of Finnish hockey. At least on the ice, that is.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Looks like he hasn't found a new club. Hasn't announced retirement either.

And by the way, we're pretty certain he does not feature any way in the upcoming golden age of Finnish hockey. At least on the ice, that is.

He'd make a good mascot. :sarcasm:

The right wing just seems so stacked I hope one if not more of these guys learn to play both sides.

Puljujärvi, Armia, Laine, Kapanen... That's just insane depth of talent. Who'd have thought a few years back. Of course, all unproven but thenagain we are talking about the future here.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
But look that defense

Määttä
Vatanen
Ristolainen
Lindbohm
Jokipakka
--
Juolevi
Vainio
Honka
Pokka
Vaakanainen
Lindell

Maybe also Mäkelä, Vainio, Niku, Tuulola, Reunanen etc. Obviously all of them will not play in the NHl. But a lot of interesting names.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
About 1,5 to 2 of those will pan out so no need to putting them on their off wing as of yet.

I suppose that was sarcasm.

Armia was a bit lost, but finally seems to have his game together.
Kapanen is PPG on Liga at the moment and almost made it out of the pens camp. Propably will play NHL next year.
Puljujärvi, well top3 prospect of his age group in the world right now. Don't see him not panning out.

Laine is the only question mark out of the names mentioned. I'll be happy even if it's 3/4.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I suppose that was sarcasm.
To be frank, only Armia is in the immediate vicinity of the NHL as of right now. And yes, Kapanen will very likely be close too by next year.

However, it's far too early to say anything certain about the remaining two. The odds are Puljujärvi gets there, but it's always good to keep in mind that things can go wrong in a million ways against every thousand ways they can go right.

But to assess the original concern, I think Kapanen has no issue playing on the left.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
To be frank, only Armia is in the immediate vicinity of the NHL as of right now. And yes, Kapanen will very likely be close too by next year.

However, it's far too early to say anything certain about the remaining two. The odds are Puljujärvi gets there, but it's always good to keep in mind that things can go wrong in a million ways against every thousand ways they can go right.

But to assess the original concern, I think Kapanen has no issue playing on the left.

Certainly, however with Puljujärvi it'd take a major injury turning into a bust or really bad setback in developement to end up as bottom 6 grinder, which of course is a possibility for either scenario. But with the things he brings to the table, the odds are far in the favor of making it rather than the opposite.

Naturally being overly optimistic isn't quite a good quality if your not looking for those setbacks.

BOB3000

Apr 14, 2012
I have a feeling that the finnish team would need one tough D'men. A type like Komarov, getting in people faces without taking penalties.

And by looking at the NHL right now it dont look too bright for our golden age.
M.Granlund, Barkov our future leaders are looking pretty weak. (esp Barkov).
The only Golden age we have right now is with our current goalies. Jori is the only one stepping up. We need people who can score without the needing of the team doing well. It seems like we aint got one gamechanger. Who can turn things around by themself.

What do you guys think?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I think if you're really trying to determine the next ten years by the past two months, there is nothing to discuss.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I have a feeling that the finnish team would need one tough D'men. A type like Komarov, getting in people faces without taking penalties.
Lindell, Ristolainen.

The only Golden age we have right now is with our current goalies. Jori is the only one stepping up. We need people who can score without the needing of the team doing well. It seems like we aint got one gamechanger. Who can turn things around by themself.

What do you guys think?

Our future leaders will be determined in the future. Maybe they will be Granlund and Barkov, maybe they will be Teräväinen and Vatanen, maybe all of the above or none. Two players slumping a quarter into the season has no long-term international ramifications.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
It's great that we have top talent again, but we shouldn't be satisfied. We should examine the reasons that have made our top prospects/young players as good as they are.

What makes JYP (seemingly) so good at developing defensemen? Vatanen, Määttä, Honka. Is it a coincidence that they're all from the same junior team? Or are they doing something differently?...

Good coaching in a relatively big town or area can lead to individual wonders. Iceland in football...

Too bad that Finland overall hasn't got proper nationwide hockey system already in place despite wealthy, money making ice hockey association and top league both being in very healthy financial (if not anymore that competitive) position to build such structures. It was absolute disgusting to hear both candidates that ran for Finnish Ice Hockey federation's leadership claim that Finnish game's state has been excellent while Finland hasn't entered into Olympics on this millennium with an ice hockey squad that would rival Sweden's Tre Kronor in individual skill or talent.

Finishing with silver and bronze is good achievement but how can anyone be happy as keeping up with similar success will be very hard to replicate without much better player material available. Canada, Russia, US & A, Sweden or Czech Republic likely wouldn't be that thrilled to enter just another tournament already defeated in that sector. Finding world class coaching or difference making goaltender to even that out might turn out to be rather tricky whenever someone like Westerlund or Rask isn't available anymore.

The most sought out Finnish goalkeeping coaches for example have already left for KHL to work with often foreign patients while couple other hockey nations have surely awaken to bring their country's net of goalkeeping coaching on similar level with Finnish system - some likely even surpassing it. Making this likely another Nokia-tale of revolutionary success starting with top quality work. Ending...

Besides JYP-defenders you then might then get players like Ristolainen (in that Viasat draft documentary it turned out that he practically lived next door to a rink/ground) or Granlund brothers who benefit from living in perfect conditions for team sports to hone their skills in free-time with other kids. Don't know if Barkov or Teräväinen fall far from that description either. Barkov also has quite good gene material - similar to Selänne so I would like to see more from other absolute top prospects before calling it a golden generation.

In other words I would like Finnish youth system being some day identified as machine that grinds greater good for Finnish ice hockey while others in North try to steal it.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finishing with silver and bronze is good achievement but how can anyone be happy as keeping up with similar success will be very hard to replicate without much better player material available. Canada, Russia, US & A, Sweden or Czech Republic likely wouldn't be that thrilled to enter just another tournament already defeated in that sector. Finding world class coaching or difference making goaltender to even that out might turn out to be rather tricky whenever someone like Westerlund or Rask isn't available anymore.
Agree with the argument, but not with the reasoning attached to it.

We've done pretty good, considering. And I don't see that ending in a moment, even if the eventual "golden age" would actually lead to stagnation that pretty much leaves us where we are now. Note, not falling, just in the present situation. Our teams would still be medal contenders.

At the very least, said constance would be easy to maintain since running out of world class goalies or coaching are the least of our worries ATM. Even with our current crop, we're guaranteed top-of-the-world netminding at least for the next ten years into the future. And coaching the Finnish NT is more or less a legacy thing. Every new guy brings his own flavor in it, but ultimately they change very little since there a proven formula that works. It's not like soccer where you can clearly see drastical changes whenever there's a change in management - of course, this is naturally due to the fact that on that pitch, nothing has really worked thus far.

In other words, you're saying that we're fragile because our success has mostly been dependent on two pillars holding up the entire house - however, you fail to mention that said pillars are pretty much the strongest we've got. Plenty of good goalies and coaches to pick from.

However, like you implied, we shouldn't really say "things are good" even if they maintained the status quo. We shouldn't really thrive to be a bronze- or occasional silver-winning team. As long as the suits and some apologist fans call those good results (even if they are, from a relative point of view) and appear happy with it, things aren't really moving in the right direction.

Seriously, gold once in every two decades simply isn't acceptable, especially if there isn't a drastic flood of contenders taking that final step into the rather narrow elite. And that should be our motivation to produce better players, not the fact that we'd then have other pillars to lean on should our two strongest ones fall.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

What do you guys think?

As Lindell and Ristolainen was allready mentioned, i would like to mention Järvinen and Melart. Not the most skillfully, but mean enough.

Goal scoring have been allways problem for finnish nt..

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
It's been a few years when i made this thread but i still stand by my words, we are living in the beginning of an era. :)

Sorry for posting in an old thread but i think this is a good time to do so to talk about the progress of our young players and prospects.

Those who already have discussed this topic, has your viewes changed, remained the same or are you even more certain of the direction of Finnish hockey?

I for one am in awe following some of these players, Barkov & Ristolainen are already elite NHL players and we got a bunch of depth players in the NHL, also it seems like Laine, Pulju and maybe even Aho will join Barkov & RR as well. :)

I believe.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
This is the best generation Finland has ever produced IMO. We've never had this many elite talents coming in such a short period of time.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I for one am in awe following some of these players, Barkov & Ristolainen are already elite NHL players and we got a bunch of depth players in the NHL, also it seems like Laine, Pulju and maybe even Aho will join Barkov & RR as well. :)

If Ristolainen is already elite then no doubt Finland will have more superstars than you can imagine.
He has had good progress but in a very poor team. Wait and see when he actually leads that team into something.

Barkov junior at the spring of 2016 is still the only elite player in Finnish ice hockey. Laine might reach that level.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So the draft went almost as expected, with the exception of Puljujärvi falling into Edmonton (which was absolutely terrific) and Borgström being picked in the first round. That's four first rounders and three guys in the top five. A historical draft that's not likely going to repeat itself.

Next year we have Urho Vaakanainen, Juuso Valimaki, Eeli Tolvanen and Kristian Vesalainen - all of which have first round potential and as of this moment would be surprised if anyone of them fell out of the first two rounds. Who else?

The golden age has begun, the country is producing more NHL talent than ever and winning both U18 and U20 World Junior Championships is just supporting what we already knew, while those golden medals also symbolise the stage where we are now. The only thing at the moment is to remain patient, enjoy and wait until the younger generations turn older and watch when these kids start tear it up in the NHL and eventually work as foundation for the senior team. A team that should eventually be able to compete with the best of the rest of hockey nations in the world.

So I named a couple of guys from next years draft. I'd love it someone could add in the names what we have going in the pipeline for the near future.

2017: Vaakanainen, Välimäki, Vesalainen, Tolvanen..
2018: Jesperi Kotkaniemi...
2019: Leevi Aaltonen...
2020: ?

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Next year we have Urho Vaakanainen, Juuso Valimaki, Eeli Tolvanen and Kristian Vesalainen - all of which have first round potential and as of this moment would be surprised if anyone of them fell out of the first two rounds. Who else?

2017: Vaakanainen, Välimäki, Vesalainen, Tolvanen..
2018: Jesperi Kotkaniemi...
2019: Leevi Aaltonen...
2020: ?
In different sources is said that also Oksanen, Jokiharju, Salo, Heiskanen and Kotkansalo have potential to go first round. There is a list about Finnish prospects whose Eliteprospects and Draftbuzzhockey have mentioned: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=120018653&postcount=236

And for 2020 on this moment i would put Kasperi Simontaival.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->