The goaltending episode

Who will be our # 1 goaltender after All Star?

• Total voters

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Imagine you being Jared Bednar. You have never coached in the NHL before coming to Denver. The 1st season was a legendary disaster but the 2nd was an unexpected success. Its still very unclear if you are going to ever have another HC position in the NHL once you leave the Avalanche. The 3rd seasons starts extremely well until both goaltenders look like they would have a problem stopping a beach ball. You have seen an almost guaranteed playoff spot taken away from you and another bottom finish could be the end of your NHL HC career. Most likely you still have next season to prove yourself but you are already on very thin ice. You have two options, either play the same goaltenders that are sinking the team or try an AHL all star that looked solid in the few minutes that he played in the NHL. What do you do?

You have to be braindead to not give Francouz a start by now, unless its Sakic who orders to start either Varlamov or Grubauer.

Now I'm just sad for Bednar, but that feeling never lasts.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Unfortunately I think Grubauer probably gets another look soon, and if that goes poorly they'll probably just evenly play him and varly for evaluation purposes and ride this out to a better pick.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I voted for Varlamov, unfortunately.

Would love to see some magic happen and he’s gone after the ASG, but we are still fighting for the playoffs.

Sakic will probably wait for another two weeks of falling out of the playoffs entirely before he dumps him and goes with Frank.

Grubauer is a lost cause, too. He’s shit. Just hopes the puck hits him.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I voted for Varlamov, unfortunately.

Would love to see some magic happen and he’s gone after the ASG, but we are still fighting for the playoffs.

Sakic will probably wait for another two weeks of falling out of the playoffs entirely before he dumps him and goes with Frank.

Grubauer is a lost cause, too. He’s ****. Just hopes the puck hits him.
This is true, he flails around and is out of position a lot. As you said he hopes the puck hits him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You guys have to just accept that Varley is going to be the #1G for the foreseeable future. Grubi had chances to grab it, he failed miserably, and they're going to go with the guy with 200 NHL wins under his belt by default, because the odds that he figures it out are higher than the odds that Grubi or Francouz ever reach his level.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think Varly gets the start tomorrow and if the Avs win, he’ll be starter coming out of the break. If not, it’s Grubi’s job to lose. And if he loses it they will give Francouz a shot after 4-5 games.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Randomly voted for Quick because well,..its randomly there

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
I don't know what's going on with Varly, but it's probably between his ears. Some nights he looks like he couldn't stop a beach ball.

Give Francouz a shot at a few starts and let's see what we have in him. There's no way he could play worse than the current #1 is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->