The goaltending episode

Who will be our # 1 goaltender after All Star?

• Total voters

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I have no answer to the poll question. Not a single clue what the guys in charge are thinking or doing these weeks. Maybe a goalie trade has been in the works for a while now, maybe it's a waiver thing, maybe something else... I don't know.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
First step should be trading Varlamov for whatever we could get. Then call up Francouz to see what he's got. Ride Grub/Franc for the rest of the season. Re-evaluate the situation in the off-season and make changes if nessessary. Hope for the best.
This is the smart thing to do but I am not convinced that Sakic/Bednar agree with that. We still continue to roll with Varlamov/Grubauer and don't give Francouz any chance despite injuries and terrible goaltending that has lasted for months. Any smart person would have tried something different by now.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Bednar hate G.

Otherwise he should have stopped making Varlamov his starter about 4 games ago. Can’t say I’m much of a fan of Grubauer either. At least Varlamov would tell you he’s playing like shit and letting the team down.

Reactions: MacBradley

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
I think Sakic is taking a big risk of losing Francouz in the off season if he doesn't call him up to get some starts with the Avs. How in the hell can Sakic assess what he has in Francouz 's abilities if he doesn't get some playing time with the Avs??? I'm starting to conlcude that Varlomov is not our short or long term answer in net. Grubauer doesn't impress one bit, or he would be getting more regular starts as Varlomov falters.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think Sakic is taking a big risk of losing Francouz in the off season if he doesn't call him up to get some starts with the Avs. How in the hell can Sakic assess what he has in Francouz 's abilities if he doesn't get some playing time with the Avs??? I'm starting to conlcude that Varlomov is not our short or long term answer in net. Grubauer doesn't impress one bit, or he would be getting more regular starts as Varlomov falters.
I would have preferred if he was given a start already, but I'm sure he will soon.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Can we please give Francouz a shot, nothing I saw from him gave me concern. He looks more calm than Varly and has a better stance/style than Grubauer. It honestly shocking we aren't giving him a chance; his numbers in the A are good, his numbers in his limited showings in the show are amazing and at the current rate we are saving (or not saving) is giving the team no confidence.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think Sakic wants Bednar to keep playing Varly to get him out of this funk so he can get a better return for him. If that is the case at this point I don't agree with this. Get what you can and evaluate Gru/Frankie the rest of the year. Then make a decision in the offseason.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Can we please give Francouz a shot, nothing I saw from him gave me concern. He looks more calm than Varly and has a better stance/style than Grubauer. It honestly shocking we aren't giving him a chance; his numbers in the A are good, his numbers in his limited showings in the show are amazing and at the current rate we are saving (or not saving) is giving the team no confidence.

Pretty much everyone agrees with you, except the team.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Pretty much everyone agrees with you, except the team.

I know, but I needed somewhere to come bitch about this as it becomes increasingly more frustrating. I'm not asking for spectacular saves, but rather the ones that should be made (The five-hole goal against Nashville) and I believe Franc can bring that and then some. Yes we have made major defensive flaws, but it seems like any time we make a single mistake it ends in our net and this leads to players wanting to always make the perfect play which generally leads to more mistakes. We have arguably been playing some of our best hockey of late and have either had poor goaltending or ran into a hot goalie.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Seriously, what are the Avs waiting for? Do they want to tank, is that the plan? I can't make any valid arguments why Francouz should not get the start against Minnesota.

Here is the exact one they'd make.

Varly and Grubs are our veterans, and it is an important Division match up.

Why do I know this? It is pretty much what Bednar said when Grubs started over him last time lol.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That is exactly how its going to go. However, its such a stupid way to think that it gets my blood boiling.

I understood it back in in mid December when it was kind of too early for drastic measures, but now they've got a good excuse given to them to see what they have. Hell they had Varly injured, and f***ing had the perfect excuse lol.

Like everyone else, there is just no explanation I can think of. It is like watching a mental health patient do the same thing over and over again and trying to tell them, hey if you just... No response.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I understood it back in in mid December when it was kind of too early for drastic measures, but now they've got a good excuse given to them to see what they have. Hell they had Varly injured, and ****ing had the perfect excuse lol.

Like everyone else, there is just no explanation I can think of. It is like watching a mental health patient do the same thing over and over again and trying to tell them, hey if you just... No response.

The timing was perfect to give Francouz the start against the Rangers a couple weeks ago when Varlamov was injured, they missed it.

Now they'll have to go back to Grubauer before they give a chance to Frank.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The timing was perfect to give Francouz the start against the Rangers a couple weeks ago when Varlamov was injured, they missed it.

Now they'll have to go back to Grubauer before they give a chance to Frank.

Have to? Nah..

Will? Yah..

Just for context

Yah – is also an expression of agreement but there is no excitement. Yea – is a very old-fashioned formal way of saying “yes,” used mainly in voting. It's the opposite of—and rhymes with—“nay.” “All in favor say yea, all opposed nay.”

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Imagine you being Jared Bednar. You have never coached in the NHL before coming to Denver. The 1st season was a legendary disaster but the 2nd was an unexpected success. Its still very unclear if you are going to ever have another HC position in the NHL once you leave the Avalanche. The 3rd seasons starts extremely well until both goaltenders look like they would have a problem stopping a beach ball. You have seen an almost guaranteed playoff spot taken away from you and another bottom finish could be the end of your NHL HC career. Most likely you still have next season to prove yourself but you are already on very thin ice. You have two options, either play the same goaltenders that are sinking the team or try an AHL all star that looked solid in the few minutes that he played in the NHL. What do you do?

You have to be braindead to not give Francouz a start by now, unless its Sakic who orders to start either Varlamov or Grubauer.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We can talk about it all we want but there simply is NO logical explanation to continue playing Varly. None.

Grubi i would get, Varly not so much.

Yeah I said it last night and even though it pains me there’s 0 reason(except for injuries) for Varly to play another game for us. We have to see if Grubi is legit gonna be an issue going forwards and see if Frank is a capable NHL’er. Varlys time is done here unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->