Murray - 28.83
Jarry - 30.79

High Danger shots against per 60:
Murray - 8.18
Jarry - 7.11

Average shot distance:
Murray - 35.48
Jarry - 38.41

At a cursory glance, while the Pens allow more shots per game in Jarry's starts, they seem to do a better job of keeping those shots from long distance and not as many in the slot/crease areas.

Goalies have a decent impact on the number of shots they face and where those come from......Rebounds. Murray has been terrible at controlling rebounds this year.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
This goalie rotation doesn't seem to be working anymore, neither goalie is playing very well.

It's not just because of how the team has played in front of them, the Washington LA and Anaheim games were games when the Pens didn't give up very much.

Maybe it's time for Sully to pick one goalie and ride him, Sully seems to prefer Murray, If Murray is who Sully prefers let him play every game besides the back to back games and hope he finds a rhythm.

f*** Murray.

However.

Just implant him as the starter. He either impresses or implodes.

Either boost that trade value or crumble his cap hit for the summer.

Jarry did well. But let him ease off. He's gonna be fine in the league. But Cinderella's carriage is turning back into a pumpkin.

I also have to disagree in that I think the team in front has a big role in making them both look inept right now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This goalie rotation doesn't seem to be working anymore, neither goalie is playing very well.

It's not just because of how the team has played in front of them, the Washington LA and Anaheim games were games when the Pens didn't give up very much.

Maybe it's time for Sully to pick one goalie and ride him, Sully seems to prefer Murray, If Murray is who Sully prefers let him play every game besides the back to back games and hope he finds a rhythm.

I think this is one of the areas I do question Sullivan's coaching decisions. Switching goalies every other game isn't doing either guy any favors. Neither can get into a groove and I think we're seeing the result based on both guys' play.

Pick a starter, run with him every game other than back-to-backs, and let him get in a groove. Enough of this switching every game thing.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
This goalie rotation is the most asinine thing. Less than 20 games remain and your literally rotating one start for one start for the last way to long.

I'm definitely a Sully guy but his roster management (nice opportunity to mention Kahun/Sheary again) are becoming very tired

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I don't see how a 1A/1B rotation has anything to do with anything.

The tenders are drowning because their defenders are being extra idiotic and their forwards can't score.

Rotating equal goalies is literally a thing.

It can stop, sure. But y'all are being crazy flipping out about a rotation.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The tenders are drowning because their defenders are being extra idiotic and their forwards can't score.

What other team successfully rotates goalies every game? Even teams that go with more of a tandem tend to give one guy more consecutive starts than what Sullivan has been giving our two.

Goalies need to play to get in a groove. I don't know why you don't think that's an actual thing.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I just think the groove is like...the fifth most important bulletpoint on what's going on.

If they can't get their shit together at the NHL level, what are we doing here?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
What other team successfully rotates goalies every game? Even teams that go with more of a tandem tend to give one guy more consecutive starts than what Sullivan has been giving our two.

Goalies need to play to get in a groove. I don't know why you don't think that's an actual thing.

We could have prime Hasek or Roy on our roster and it wouldn't matter at this point. This defense (and I'm including the F's) is garbage.

Rotation or no rotation, this team has been bad all around the past 6 games.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

So this. Yeah, I'd prefer Sully to just pick a goalie and have him play 2/3, or even 3/4. Wouldn't bother me who he picked. BUT, as you said SO many things that are more concerning right now than two goalies who are actually playing okay (not great) behind a team that is dreadful right now.

Reactions: EightyOne

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Eventually a decision for a clear cut starter has to be made and it would be incredibly stupid for them to wait until game one of the playoffs to make that decision.

We’re gonna need a goalie’s help to get out of this funk we’re currently in. Murray’s been getting the “tougher” matchups recently so maybe they have decided in some way. But the rotating every game is doing more harm than good at this stage. Someone needs an opportunity to find a groove.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Here's what happened

Murray was a dumpster fire

Jarry was amazing

They tried to get Murray back into lead role...But were losing points when he was in and Jarry was making them look stupid not starting him

Decided to go Jarry more

Then Murray started playing well in his games

So both were playing well...They came up with the rotation idea here. Letting both just go win games. To be revisited in playoffs

Now they're both bad

I am sure they expected one to drop off at some during the rotation and easily cement a starter, or maybe make it to playoffs and decide then

Unfortunately they both dipped. So. Now they're screwed. Lol. It's basically backfired on the coaches.

Who do you pick if they both suck? It's the same problem from midyear...Who do you pick if they're both winning?

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Both goalies struggling is actually helping this decision for me.

IMO (OPINION!!! I'm not supporting this with stats) even when both goalies are struggling I feel more comfortable/confident and think Jarry looks better. IMO!!!! Jarry helps the team more with his puck handling and plays a way that's more beneficial to the team and the way they want to play. (Phew I need grammar lesson that sentence way to long)

Jarry cheaper going forward.

Decision. Jarry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Boston, Dallas, Carolina.

With our schedule in March chances are you see it continue.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Eventually a decision for a clear cut starter has to be made and it would be incredibly stupid for them to wait until game one of the playoffs to make that decision.

We’re gonna need a goalie’s help to get out of this funk we’re currently in. Murray’s been getting the “tougher” matchups recently so maybe they have decided in some way. But the rotating every game is doing more harm than good at this stage. Someone needs an opportunity to find a groove.

They have more than a month to get things settled. A TON can change in that timeframe.

Reactions: Trade

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
56b1bbfc882510aa8387c3a0695355b6.png

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Here's what happened

Murray was a dumpster fire

Jarry was amazing

They tried to get Murray back into lead role...But were losing points when he was in and Jarry was making them look stupid not starting him

Decided to go Jarry more

Then Murray started playing well in his games

So both were playing well...They came up with the rotation idea here. Letting both just go win games. To be revisited in playoffs

Now they're both bad

I am sure they expected one to drop off at some during the rotation and easily cement a starter, or maybe make it to playoffs and decide then

Unfortunately they both dipped. So. Now they're screwed. Lol. It's basically backfired on the coaches.

Who do you pick if they both suck? It's the same problem from midyear...Who do you pick if they're both winning?

That pretty much sums it up.

If either of these 2 goalies were to play a good game I think Sully would ride that goalie.

Reactions: EightyOne

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Look at our schedule. No chance either of them is getting the majority of starts.

And MM could have his annual injury thing happen during that timeframe. Jarry could contract the Coronavirus
People are panicking waaaaay too much over this stretch. My prediction: both goalies are gonna look good with Dumo and Marino in front of them

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And MM could have his annual injury thing happen during that timeframe. Jarry could contract the Coronavirus
People are panicking waaaaay too much over this stretch. My prediction: both goalies are gonna look good with Dumo and Marino in front of them
Both goalies have looked okay when Trotman and JJ aren’t getting pucks bounced off them into the net.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Both goalies have looked okay when Trotman and JJ aren’t getting pucks bounced off them into the net.

Eh, I didn't care for Jarry's last outing. He missed some routine saves.
No way shape or form putting the L on him, but he did not look good

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
This has moved past a goalie issue. This has now become a coaching issue. Everything the Sullivan has done for the last 6 games has just flat out not worked. Rotating goalies start for start has never worked. JR trades for depth forwards, Sullivan shuffles his lines and has Sheary playing on L1 and ERod centering Tanev and Bleuger. They gave up 22 shots against LA, 21 shots to Anaheim ( 2 shots in the first, 1 of which went in), then the 32 shot stinker to the Sharks. This isn't a defense issue, they are suppressing shots and limiting chances. This has to do with Sullivans refusal to pick a goalie and f***ing around with the lines.

Simon should have never left Crosbys line. Bleuger should be the "4th line" center. McCann needs to stay the f*** away from Genos line, that guy shots first, second, third, and then looks to shoot again. Sullivans insistence that he is smarter than everyone else with his lineup decisions is disproved by the fact that all the offense has been sucked out of this team, and it has nothing to do with 2 defense man being out of the lineup.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
The Pens have a traditional goalie tandem. Sullivan will play the hot hand but will always prefer MM all things being equal.

However, if playoffs started today Jarry would start game 1, IMO.

jr99svt

Sep 15, 2005
Altoona, PA
I just want to know, when is MM going to work on that high glove issue. it seems every game he plays, he lets 1 in high glove.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I just want to know, when is MM going to work on that high glove issue. it seems every game he plays, he lets 1 in high glove.

So just picked a couple random Goals of the Week and Saves of the Week youtube comps....

Goals:
High Stick: 4
Low Stick: 3
High Glove: 5
Low Glove: 0

Saves:
High Stick: 1
Low Stick: 5
High Glove: 2
Low Glove: 4

Seems like a majority of goals are going high glove/stick.

A majority of saves are low glove/stick.

Sooooo....

Every goalie is weak up top. It is why guys are targeting there. It may be MM's weakest point, but, it isn't much better for anyone.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad