The Goalie Discussion

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
2017-18 .907SV% - Below average
2018-19 .919SV% - Above average
2019-20 .902SV% - Below Average

.909SV% over his current contract, below average.

But what do I know? I'm just a MAF fanboy.

The first step in fixing your problem is admitting you have a problem.

For real though, why do you even bother replying to my posts if you're incapable of reading them? Serious question. Your reply has absolutely zero relevance to the point I was making with that post. The point I was making is that Murray and his agent would refuse to get paid like an "average goalie" despite him giving average results this year (in the hypothetical I threw out), because they'd argue that his "average results" this year were only due to a horrid 11 game stretch and his play outside of that stretch for the last 2 years has been great.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
MM: 178lbs
MAF: 185lbs
TJ: 194lbs

#farmstrong #checkmatefanboys

giphy.gif

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Kingerski has a chat today in which he claimed he learned that the team sat the goalies down and said Matt was their man, that he would get all the pressure games and start in the POs. But Jarry would play a lot and if Murray slips, then he’ll get the net...

I hope that is fake news, but we will find out soon enough as we see how the rotation of starts plays out.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yohe made 2 points on an interview with Madden just now, his feeling is that Murray's still the "starter" right now and the Penguins want Murray to continue playing well so he can maintain the starter's job, but Murray would get a quick hook for Jarry if he struggles and Jarry is probably the goalie of the future, mostly due to financial reasons. I think that's a fair stance to take.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yohe made 2 points on an interview with Madden just now, his feeling is that Murray's still the "starter" right now and the Penguins want Murray to continue playing well so he can maintain the starter's job, but Murray would get a quick hook for Jarry if he struggles and Jarry is probably the goalie of the future, mostly due to financial reasons. I think that's a fair stance to take.

So that’s pretty much what Kingerski said...lol

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the playoffs were to start tomorrow I think Sully would start Murray, but the playoffs don't start tomorrow.

Nobody has a crystal ball to know how these goalies are going to play over the next 6 weeks, whichever goalie is playing better going into the playoffs will be the one that starts.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So that’s pretty much what Kingerski said...lol

Well no. Kingerski made it sound like the coaching staff literally said this to the two goalies, instead of it being how they feel, but not spoken about.

Kind of like the difference between the coaching staff "feeling" Galchenyuk sucks and the coaching staff sitting him down to tell him they think he sucks.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Makes sense. When in doubt, go with cheaper. Beyond people's emotions and such, this is the right path to take.

Question is when does "the future" arrive.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Even if the gap closes as far as stats goes i think the obvious choice is to keep Jarry. He will command maybe half of what Murray will demand on his next contract.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I’m not worried about next year right now and right now you keep splitting starts unless one of them separates himself from the other either negatively or positively. Nothing wrong with having two good goalies rested going into the playoffs.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think we should keep both now provided the total cap hit for them is under like $9 million.

Having two capable goalies is kinda nice.. it’s like having Sid & Geno or now Zucker & Guentzel or Letang & Marino.

The chances of your starting goalie either getting hurt or just not playing well is just too high, and if that happens an entire season is potentially lost. One of our few seasons left with our window closing. Yeah we’ll have to trade one of them before expansion anyway but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
At 5on5 - .930 (tied for 1st with Rask)

All strengths - .918 (1st)*

*No one else in the league has a HDSV% above .900 during that time frame.

Hopefully this is a sign he's turned things around and it's not just a hot streak.
thanks, I had heard it was insanely good, but I didn't actually see the information for myself, and then I was surprised that not a single person here posted it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
thanks, I had heard it was insanely good, but I didn't actually see the information for myself, and then I was surprised that not a single person here posted it.

It's kind of funny, his overall save percentage at 5on5 is .936 while he's sporting a really good .930 HDSV%. Most guys see a massive drop off.

Maybe all Murray needs is contact lenses to help him see those long range shots better. Because he seems to do fine when the shots are within 20-ish feet of the net. :laugh:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

for once their seemingly official stance aligns with my take too lol.

Murray deserves a chance to ride out on a fiery chariot of Glory... cause make no mistake, barring him taking a super cheap contract or Jarry just totally melting down, this is Murrays last season with the Pens ...

So before we say great luck and thanks for the memories Murr... lets hope he wins us one more and pumps that value sky high

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
FWIW it sounds like the general opinions of guys like Madden, Yohe and DK that the reason that Jarry's probably the goalie of the future is less so "Jarry is cheaper than Murray" and more so "Murray wants way too much money that he can't get in Pittsburgh". They're kinda the same thing, but it's more so a "Murray wants to be paid" situation than a "Murray wants a reasonable deal, but Jarry is cheaper" situation. If Murray was willing to extend for $6-$7 million, which I think is a reasonable deal for him, I think he would have been extended already. Maybe it's just parroting what they said earlier in the year, that Murray wants $8+ million on his extension, but it was the vibe I got from listening to Madden, Yohe and DK recently.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
FWIW it sounds like the general opinions of guys like Madden, Yohe and DK that the reason that Jarry's probably the goalie of the future is less so "Jarry is cheaper than Murray" and more so "Murray wants way too much money that he can't get in Pittsburgh". They're kinda the same thing, but it's more so a "Murray wants to be paid" situation than a "Murray wants a reasonable deal, but Jarry is cheaper" situation. If Murray was willing to extend for $6-$7 million, which I think is a reasonable deal for him, I think he would have been extended already. Maybe it's just parroting what they said earlier in the year, that Murray wants $8+ million on his extension, but it was the vibe I got from listening to Madden, Yohe and DK recently.

thats kind of the Vibe i was getting too... the whispered numbers from murrays camp always seems to be north of 8... that is just too pricey right now... people here keep trying to push a 6.5 to 7 number.... but I don’t think he is going to lowball himself if he feels that he is worth it

I like Murray, and he is more of a known commodity, but Jarry potentially can be better .. he already has slightly better stats, his stick work is better and his glove is better... Murray is athletic but Jarry is dynamically athletic....

I don’t think there is a wrong choice here, but all things being equal, go with the significantly cheaper guy

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sully isn't going to tell us in words which goalie he feels best about, but he will tell us with his actions.

When you got a back to back with Buffalo and the Caps your playing the goalie you feel best about against the Caps not Buffalo.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

If Murray's going to the highest bidder this summer, I really do see something between us and Detroit happening this summer. They obviously have beaucoup cap room. Murray to Detroit then something like 7/$50M for Murray.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sully isn't going to tell us in words which goalie he feels best about, but he will tell us with his actions.

When you got a back to back with Buffalo and the Caps your playing the goalie you feel best about against the Caps not Buffalo.

Not really...if they’re truly alternating, then Murray’s playing Thursday and would be playing as a matter of course on Sunday...also they could have analytics that show Murray is really good against the Caps...we don’t know exactly what they are looking at in making these decisions...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
If Murray's going to the highest bidder this summer, I really do see something between us and Detroit happening this summer. They obviously have beaucoup cap room. Murray to Detroit then something like 7/$50M for Murray.

Why would Detroit want to be good for the next season or 2? Tank and tank some more

If MM is truly on the market then it's to a middling contender who believe it has a glaring hole in net.

San Jose????

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why would Detroit want to be good for the next season or 2? Tank and tank some more

If MM is truly on the market then it's to a middling contender who believe it has a glaring hole in net.

San Jose????

Assuming we’re not trading Murray in the division, the teams with the most need for him are probably Ottawa and Buffalo...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->