The Goalie Discussion

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
And Buffalo Scores Shorthanded, Glove Side on Murray.....

Please don't tell me you're thin slicing this much.

There's a major difference between a player shooting stationary from the circle and beating a goalie glove side vs a clear breakaway which happens to go in on the left.

I mean the difference is more like a chasm when evaluating trends such as this. I feel dumb even responding to this drivel...

jr99svt

Sep 15, 2005
Altoona, PA
So tell me again about MM stealing a game against Buffalo, and how good he played today, and his glove isnt an Issue.....2nd goal high glove. 19:43 of the second, Oshie hits the Bar over Murrays glove, watch the replay. His hand was tucked tight against his body. WTH. Then Oshie scores goal #5. Where was the Goal? Tell me there isn't a glove hand issue. Bring on Jarry.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
So tell me again about MM stealing a game against Buffalo, and how good he played today, and his glove isnt an Issue.....2nd goal high glove. 19:43 of the second, Oshie hits the Bar over Murrays glove, watch the replay. His hand was tucked tight against his body. WTH. Then Oshie scores goal #5. Where was the Goal? Tell me there isn't a glove hand issue. Bring on Jarry.

These are point blank shots that I don't expect a goaltender to save.

I'm disappointed that Jarry didn't start today but I can't blame MM for anything. The guys with letters on the front of their sweaters were a disgrace. Add to that that half of our dmen are outright bad and our forwards have stopped giving a crap about that part of the game and it spelled disaster for whomever was back there.

Holtby did outplay MM but that wasn't even close to the difference in this game. Swapping their 1C, 2C and 1D for ours would have maybe reversed the outcome. Which is sad to think about when you're talking about Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang.

One thing is clear to me: this team is going to need some drastic - not incremental - changes and I think that makes it very unlikely that we keep both goalies.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Nah, I'm all for Jarry going forward, but Murray was left out to dry. Jarry wouldn't have won this last game either. That said, it would be nice to see a stop on even one of those goals, difficult as it would have been. Particularly if MM wants paid mega money on his next contract.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I believe Jarry is the better goalie, but I don't really think we can make either walk the plank because of how bad this team's defensive play is. It's not just the blueline, which is a straight up abomination, the forwards are too lazy to do their jobs as well.

I'm still moving Murray at the draft. He'll be the more expensive of the two moving forward, he's the worse of the two, and there are several teams out there that I'm sure would be willing to spend relatively significant assets to get him.

I'm not going to rake either over coals though. JR has refused to address the blueline for too long. We happened to luck into Marino which was a godsend, but we need more than that. JJ is awful. Petts is awful. Schultz is abysmal. We could probably toss those three in a dumpster and play Dumo-Letang and Riikola-Marino with no bottom pairing and be in a better spot.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The defense played like crap, but for gods sake, make a save every now and then. You can’t give a goalie a free pass that had an .82 save percentage.

Reactions: Doogle

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I posted yesterday, I liked the decision to go with MM as a true No.1, not that I was convinced that he was a better choice, but at this time of the season, if Sully feels that he is his goalie he should go with him however.....
It does not bode well when your usually supportive PGH media start calling Murray out...they got tips or winks...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As soon as the Pittsburgh sports media turns on a guy, it's over. They're always so careful to be overly complimentary of guys and keep their nose in the crack of the organization. As soon as that starts and they really start to go after someone, that tells me something happened inside the organization and it was made known that player or coach is on the way out.

Like clockwork, every time. I remember years ago when DK would go on twitter tirades about Bennett. The only exemption to this rule is Geno, who has been the most colossally underrated and disrespected player I've ever seen throughout his career, both from local sports media guys and the general hockey world as a whole.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We're going to go with a situation where a goalie plays until he loses/has a bad game, or needs a rest due to back to back games. No idea if it's the right or wrong decision, but I'd be surprised if it's not goalie by committee down the stretch and the better of the two being the starter come playoff time.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I know the team defense is struggling, but MM is not playing well. He gives up saveable goals, and doesn't make the difficult saves. I remember only 1 game this season where MM truly stood on his head to steal us a win.

Jarry is far more reliable at this point and should be the playoff starter.... if we even make the playoffs.

Reactions: Doogle

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Are the media actually going after Murray, or just saying that Jarry should start? If it's the latter, I don't think that really compares to DK spreading rumors about Despres's gambling, Rossi implying that Crosby is gay, or the entire Pittsburgh sports media bashing Kessel.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Are the media actually going after Murray, or just saying that Jarry should start? If it's the latter, I don't think that really compares to DK spreading rumors about Despres's gambling, Rossi implying that Crosby is gay, or the entire Pittsburgh sports media bashing Kessel.

Yeah it’s the latter but the timing is weird... just after Murray got three games and played pretty well

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
:laugh: I didn't even know Rossi implied Sid was gay. Hasn't he had a girlfriend/fiancee for like 10 years or something? Dude's just super quiet about his private life, and rightfully so--he's been under a colossal microscope because of his hockey career since he was like 13.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And who even cares if he’s gay...it’s not news worthy... it’s like telling people he’s a Republican or something...makes no difference to anything hockey or character related...it’s offensive to even bring it up

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
:laugh: I didn't even know Rossi implied Sid was gay. Hasn't he had a girlfriend/fiancee for like 10 years or something? Dude's just super quiet about his private life, and rightfully so--he's been under a colossal microscope because of his hockey career since he was like 13.

And who even cares if he’s gay...it’s not news worthy... it’s like telling people he’s a Republican or something...makes no difference to anything hockey or character related...it’s offensive to even bring it up

It didn't come out of nowhere. I think it was when Sid was going through a poor stretch of play, perhaps in 2015 but I can't remember exactly. I think it happened on the radio. Someone asked if maybe Sid was going through personal problems, like with a girlfriend or something, and Rossi said, "I wouldn't say ... girlfriend ..." The implication was pretty clear.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It didn't come out of nowhere. I think it was when Sid was going through a poor stretch of play, perhaps in 2015 but I can't remember exactly. I think it happened on the radio. Someone asked if maybe Sid was going through personal problems, like with a girlfriend or something, and Rossi said, "I wouldn't say ... girlfriend ..." The implication was pretty clear.
Classy.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
My issue with those glove shots is not that they beat him it's that he doesn't even give himself a chance at the save with how low he carries it. Both the Backstrom goal and the Oshie crossbar, his glove was half below his pad. That isn't going got work vs good teams.

That plus his compleat inability to handle the puck (which led to the 1st goal) puts TJ as the clear cut starter. It just sucks that Sully is still living in 2017 like most of this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad