GDT: The Game About Nothing: Senators @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Andy Greene with 7 minutes of short handed time. f*** that’s a lot for an old dude.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not sure you know what this means, you keep on throwing this out like it's a cool new toy.

What is the mean of Cory's last 100 games before he came back? .901?
It was .903% over his last 100 games, including his .950% playoff series. That was before he came back this most recent time. It was something like .901% over his last 96 regular season games.

There's probably a really good chance that those numbers are a closer representation of what he is as a goaltender in this current period and not his .938% since coming back from injury, nor his .852% through the first 9 games or .860%-something over his last 25 games before he came back.

What am I not understanding about this? I think you're busting balls, is what this is. I find it funny that the same guy who created the Schneider thread on the mainboard last March and who paid to see us play Anaheim in December and posted from his seats about how bad Cory was in that game, is one of my biggest detractors on here. And no, I will NEVER let you live that down for as long as you keep feeling the need to call me out.

And.... I should bet all my V-Cash that your reply contains the word ''Strawman''.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Rooney played 18 minutes tonight
And he was a -13.64 relative corsi at even strength. And while I don't think these stats mean much over single games (much like goalie stats), since Rooney was like a +10 relative corsi after his first two NHL games before they evened out to what he is, I think it's safe to say being bad in this regard is customary for him more often than not. You can see by how many times he (and Gabriel) are glued in the D-zone and can't get out. They even looked mortal at times tonight against this team. Palmieri was actually worse than Rooney in relative corsi for this game. Stafford was also in a dead heat with Rooney for second worst.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does this shut out count? I feel like it doesn’t versus that team.
With the D we iced tonight (and lineup in general) I would say it's enough of a wash to count this one. Tonight's D lineup might have been the worst we've iced since 2014-2015, when Mark Fraser and Peter Harrold were both in the lineup for however many games.

We iced some pretty bad ones after the deadline in 2017 though, so maybe not.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It was .903% over his last 100 games, including his .950% playoff series. That was before he came back this most recent time. It was something like .901% over his last 96 regular season games.

There's probably a really good chance that those numbers are a closer representation of what he is as a goaltender in this current period and not his .938% since coming back from injury, nor his .852% through the first 9 games or .860%-something over his last 25 games before he came back.

What am I not understanding about this? I think you're busting balls, is what this is. I find it funny that the same guy who created the Schneider thread on the mainboard last March and who paid to see us play Anaheim in December and posted from his seats about how bad Cory was in that game, is one of my biggest detractors on here. And no, I will NEVER let you live that down for as long as you keep feeling the need to call me out.

And.... I should bet all my V-Cash that your reply contains the word ''Strawman''.

Well if you simply want throw around words like progression to the mean without giving a value to the mean, it's absolutely illogical. You don't have to be so defensive about it.

When you look at his stats, you try to understand why is there such a huge discrepancy between his last good season and his 2016-2017 season where his play dropped in a major way. I mean if you want to look at it in a technical way, be my guest, but there's a reason why technical analysis don't hold much weight.

My theory is we didn't know the extent of his injury (thus me making a thread last year). As soon as more insight was provided on his injury, I used a comparable approach. I look at goalies with similar talent who went through a similar injury (i.e. Rinne) and rebounded. Does this mean I think Cory will post similar stats pre-injury? Age obviously plays a role. But I expect him to be an above average goaltender if he truly recovered from his injury. And his play so far since he came back indicates that (small sample size though)

And you just lost all your v-cash, transfer them my way!!!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well if you simply want throw around words like progression to the mean without giving s value to the mean is, it's absolutely illogical. You don't have to be so defensive about it.

When you look at his stats, you try to understand why is there such a huge discrepancy between his last good season and his 2016-2017 season where his play dropped in a major way. I mean if you want to look at it in a technical way, be my guest, but there's a reason why technical analysis don't hold much weight.

My theory is we didn't know the extent of his injury (thus me making a thread last year). As soon as more insight was provided on his injury, I used a comparable approach. I look at goalies who went through a similar injury (i.e. Rinne) and rebounded. Does this mean I think Cory will post similar stats pre-injury? Age obviously plays a role. But I expect him to be an above average goaltender if he truly recovered from his injury. And his play so far since he came back indicates that (small sample size though)

And you just lost all your v-cash, transfer them my way!!!
I'm leaning towards him probably being a poor starter/below average goalie from here on out. Maybe average is a slighter possibility.

I give it a 5%-10% chance he rebounds the way Rinne did and maybe a 30% chance that he's an an average starter again.

Just a week or two ago, I thought there was only a 50% chance he'd be even below average or serviceable again and a 10% chance he'd be an average starter again.

Still need to see more, but he's probably serviceable and might be worth holding onto for one more season and not wasting the buyout. Buying him out with 2 more years left wouldn't be so bad and we might even get the amnesty by that time.

I'd say if he's the best goalie on our roster next year though, we're damn near a lock to miss the playoffs again. The sad part is that he might actually be the best goalie on our roster right now, which I haven't felt that way about him in at least a year. Kinkaid is fine as a backup, but will hurt you if he has to be your starter/1b two years in a row.

And with that said, Salvador said in the post game something about how we need to find out where our goaltending is right now, which means that we should be riding Cory more than Keith, who has no future here. I think it's safe to say he's gone no matter what next year, while Cory looks like he's buying himself at least one more year. Keith looks just about cooked for the season. He might have a couple good games again this year, but he's been a liability his last several games (and since the break ended, with the exception of the first Pittsburgh game after the break and the Carolina game) in the same way Cory was before his last injury. He almost looks like he's given up on the season. Whiffing on shots from the blue line and letting in too many clear sighted shots. Even a lot of puck handling gaffes.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I'm leaning towards him probably being a poor starter/below average goalie from here on out. Maybe average is a slighter possibility.

I give it a 5%-10% chance he rebounds the way Rinne did and maybe a 30% chance that he's an an average starter again.

Just a week or two ago, I thought there was only a 50% chance he'd be even below average or serviceable again and a 10% chance he'd be an average starter again.

Still need to see more, but he's probably serviceable and might be worth holding onto for one more season and not wasting the buyout. Buying him out with 2 more years left wouldn't be so bad and we might even get the amnesty by that time.

I'd say if he's the best goalie on our roster next year though, we're damn near a lock to miss the playoffs again. The sad part is that he might actually be the best goalie on our roster right now, which I haven't felt that way about him in at least a year. Kinkaid is fine as a backup, but will hurt you if he has to be your starter/1b two years in a row.

And with that said, Salvador said in the post game something about how we need to find out where our goaltending is right now, which means that we should be riding Cory more than Keith, who has no future here. I think it's safe to say he's gone no matter what next year, while Cory looks like he's buying himself at least one more year. Keith looks just about cooked for the season. He might have a couple good games again this year, but he's been a liability his last several games (and since the break ended, with the exception of the first Pittsburgh game after the break and the Carolina game) in the same way Cory was before his last injury. He almost looks like he's given up on the season. Whiffing on shots from the blue line and letting in too many clear sighted shots. Even a lot of puck handling gaffes.

I mean I have no problem with your reasoning. I have a problem with you just throwing out numbers about his chances of being bad, below average and average. Wtv, this is semantics at this point.

Point is he looks more comfortable, something we haven't seen him from him in 2 years. I would insist that he has the talent to be an above average goaltender if he doesn't relapse. Time will tell.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean I have no problem with your reasoning. I have a problem with you just throwing out numbers about his chances of being bad, below average and average. Wtv, this is semantics at this point.

Point is he looks more comfortable, something we haven't seen him from him in 2 years. I would insist that he has the talent to be an above average goaltender if he doesn't relapse. Time will tell.
I thought he looked similar to this at the beginning of the 2017-2018 season. At least in the 2017 part of the season. And definitely in the playoffs, but he did look like he was laboring in the playoffs and hurting.

Now I think one of two things happened. He was possibly bouncing back and would have finished the whole season strong if not for the hip injury, or this was that market correction I talk about and it was him regressing to the mean. Regardless, I don't believe he had problems with his hip in 2016-2017 when he had his first poor season. I think there were groin and knee problems, if I'm not mistaken.

But we've all seen this regression and progression to the mean in every player or even teams. Marty regularly had good streaks, even in his last season here, where he absolutely was not all that good anymore. But he also wasn't as bad as his first handful of starts that season, where he looked like he badly needed to just retire midseason. That's the same way Cory looked to start this one. And now I think he'll have a bit of a hot streak to finish out where he probably is right now as a goalie.

It's the same thing with a player like Zacha. He's been heading back towards his production pace of the last couple years and he's went on a couple tears to boost his production since he came back from the AHL. Johansson recently did the same thing.

Blackwood had that poor stretch after his .963% start to his NHL career.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Heh. Gabriel with the angel emoji. I like it.

I think I'll miss his post-game tweets the most haha.

I'm not gonna bother to predict where Lovejoy goes, but I could see Pittsburgh being interested. And they do need D right now, but their biggest plague is Jack Johnson, who likely won't be sat any time soon. He's an amnesty buyout if they happen with the new CBA, but he's likely in until then. They could always Karl Alzner him next year, like the Habs did with Alzner.

I wasn't sure if Lovejoy would go or not, but my guess is that he is going and Shero already knows there's some interest and there's been offers, or we wouldn't have scratched him.

Reactions: glenwo2

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think I'll miss his post-game tweets the most haha.

I'm not gonna bother to predict where Lovejoy goes, but I could see Pittsburgh being interested. And they do need D right now, but their biggest plague is Jack Johnson, who likely won't be sat any time soon. He's an amnesty buyout if they happen with the new CBA, but he's likely in until then. They could always Karl Alzner him next year, like the Habs did with Alzner.

I wasn't sure if Lovejoy would go or not, but my guess is that he is going and Shero already knows there's some interest and there's been offers, or we wouldn't have scratched him.
My guess is the Isles. It's just such a Lou move to pick up a defensive depth D-man at the deadline. Toronto's been reportedly looking for a depth defenseman too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even with Hall injured for 2 months now, we're still in the top 20 in goals scored. We were 19th before tonight's game.

I expect we'll almost definitely fall out of the top-20 with Johansson gone, especially the longer Hall is out and depending on how long Zacha and Wood are out, but that's not too bad. I think we were 15th when Hall went down. We might still finish in the top-25 in goals scored this season. I figured a week or two ago that we'd be in the bottom-5 in goals by the end of the year.

I think it was a couple weeks ago that I said we'd probably only 5-7 games the rest of the season, and I think we're already at 4 since I said that. As long as Cory can pace around .920% from here on out, there's no way we don't win more than 1-3 more games. It will be rough from now until the end, but we'll probably win a few more games from now until the end than we did after the deadline in 2017. I think we only won 3 more games after the 2017 deadline. It actually might have only been 2 as I think that 3 wins in 25 games (or whatever it was) began before the deadline.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My guess is the Isles. It's just such a Lou move to pick up a defensive depth D-man at the deadline. Toronto's been reportedly looking for a depth defenseman too.
Possibly. I wonder if Lou would trade with us? He traded with the Islanders before, but the most recent time was to unload the Rolston contract, which we a win for us, even though we had to take the contract of Trent Hunter and bought him out immediately. He did trade with them a lot more than Philly and the Rangers (who he never traded with) though. I wonder if he feels that way about us now, as opposed to the Rangers and Flyers? Must be that Devils/Islanders friendship thing!:sarcasm:

I'm just gonna be annoyed if we have to take on some crap defenseman with remaining term for Lovejoy. I'm still paranoid after that Quincey for Prout trade two years ago.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Camille the Eel

Really liked Woods’ goal because of where it came from and how he got there.

He cycled up high and the defense lost him, then circled back into the slot with just the timing to pick up Sevs cross ice pass. It’s the instinct and timing for where to be to be open for that shot that I have literally never seen from him before. It shows a big step in his development. He can live on scoring goals like that.

Reactions: Oneiro

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Even with Hall injured for 2 months now, we're still in the top 20 in goals scored. We were 19th before tonight's game.

I expect we'll almost definitely fall out of the top-20 with Johansson gone, especially the longer Hall is out

honestly i don’t want to see hall again this year...and that’s genuinely not a tank comment. what’s the point? let him rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad