Visit site
GF% at ES last regular season:

Chiasson 52.5%

Haas 44.44%
Neal 41.07%

Archie 33.5%
Sheahan 31.48%
Khaira 30.61%

I would not be dumping Chaser unless we get something in return as his 5x5 results were by far the best of any bottom 6 we had last year, and he was also very good on the PP. I understand the PK concerns but Archie-Shea-Khaira got absolutely murdered at ES last year. I think Neal-Haas-Chaisson could break even (or better) at 5x5 - and Neal/Chaser are great on on the PP. If Haas can PK effectively along with RNH, Turris and another one of the wingers (Yamo, Ennis, JP) then I'd run with the 2 big vets on the 4th line even if they can't PK. It leave Archies out but injuries will happen and he will get his games. Competition for ice time is a good thing.

Reactions: nuck

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I am not a professional scout, but, Haas would be a must sign for my team. I’d pay up to 3 mill short term (1-2 year contract) or offer a long term at 1.5 - 2.5 million x 5 years

Can you explain your reasoning? I don't see anything from Haas that makes me believe we should be paying him anything north of 1M.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I actually think he played quite well in the games I saw last year, liked the player but then again I also liked Lennart Petrell.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I actually think he played quite well in the games I saw last year, liked the player but then again I also liked Lennart Petrell.

Swiss A is sub AHL so a big jump to the NHL for a guy who's career was over there. I like his skills and he may have another gear with the rookie learning out of the way. I am a lot more concerned about some NHL vets that couldn't bring more. Plus only Colby had less TOI (by 3 seconds) so it isn't as though they gave him a real shot.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
GF% at ES last regular season:

Chiasson 52.5%

Haas 44.44%
Neal 41.07%

Archie 33.5%
Sheahan 31.48%
Khaira 30.61%

I would not be dumping Chaser unless we get something in return as his 5x5 results were by far the best of any bottom 6 we had last year, and he was also very good on the PP. I understand the PK concerns but Archie-Shea-Khaira got absolutely murdered at ES last year. I think Neal-Haas-Chaisson could break even (or better) at 5x5 - and Neal/Chaser are great on on the PP. If Haas can PK effectively along with RNH, Turris and another one of the wingers (Yamo, Ennis, JP) then I'd run with the 2 big vets on the 4th line even if they can't PK. It leave Archies out but injuries will happen and he will get his games. Competition for ice time is a good thing.

Yeeeahh.... I'm ok with keeping Chaisson around on that basis, but there is no way Archie (with Khaira at #13... at worst) aren't in my lineup.

I get that Archie, Sheahan and Khaira got caved at EV (are those numbers together or total with any line mates?)... but to my eye, they were actually quite strong defensively, even against tough competition but absolutely horrendous at generating offense, but that wasn't really their job.

Look at the zone starts... Sheahan had 67% D-zone starts and both Archie and Khaira were high 50's. It's pretty clear their #1 job was to baton down the hatches, chip the puck out and change... with an occasional sustained cycle to wear down the opponents top or secondary line as added bonus. I mean even if they spent equal time in the o-zone as the d-zone (despite the starts), that would be a huge win when you account for the major deficit in offensive talent.

If that's your role, your EV numbers are never going to be good. I mean even if your corsi were even (again a huge accomplishment), having started in your own zone, and your shooting percentage is half your opponents, you'd still end up at 33% GF%. It would be nice to have a defensive line that can also score, but they are pretty rare.

Chaisson could be part of a line that does that... I don't have much confidence in either of Neal or Haas in that role. To me, those guys are competing for "spare middle six" roles rather than "shutdown 4th" in terms of deployment.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Can you explain your reasoning? I don't see anything from Haas that makes me believe we should be paying him anything north of 1M.
My reasoning is poor. I just really liked what I saw from him and how he makes adjustments every game. I’m lead to believe he will keep getting better

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

It’s Gaetan Haas in here so take off all your clothes?

or in this case spend all yo money...

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Yeeeahh.... I'm ok with keeping Chaisson around on that basis, but there is no way Archie (with Khaira at #13... at worst) aren't in my lineup.

I get that Archie, Sheahan and Khaira got caved at EV (are those numbers together or total with any line mates?)... but to my eye, they were actually quite strong defensively, even against tough competition but absolutely horrendous at generating offense, but that wasn't really their job.

Look at the zone starts... Sheahan had 67% D-zone starts and both Archie and Khaira were high 50's. It's pretty clear their #1 job was to baton down the hatches, chip the puck out and change... with an occasional sustained cycle to wear down the opponents top or secondary line as added bonus. I mean even if they spent equal time in the o-zone as the d-zone (despite the starts), that would be a huge win when you account for the major deficit in offensive talent.

If that's your role, your EV numbers are never going to be good. I mean even if your corsi were even (again a huge accomplishment), having started in your own zone, and your shooting percentage is half your opponents, you'd still end up at 33% GF%. It would be nice to have a defensive line that can also score, but they are pretty rare.

Chaisson could be part of a line that does that... I don't have much confidence in either of Neal or Haas in that role. To me, those guys are competing for "spare middle six" roles rather than "shutdown 4th" in terms of deployment.

Sure zone starts and opposition played a role in the terrible results the 3rd line put up last year. But they were pretty awful, especially early. Archie is a poster boy for context in stats as he was not responsible for most of the mess and I like the player. Not sure how to make RW work right now with Kass, Yamo, JP, Chase and Archie. Good problem to have though.

I really like Chase on the PP though. Knows his job and when the opposition defense plays the odds and gives him the open shot instead of Drai/McDavid/RNH - he buries it more often than not.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Sure zone starts and opposition played a role in the terrible results the 3rd line put up last year. But they were pretty awful, especially early. Archie is a poster boy for context in stats as he was not responsible for most of the mess and I like the player. Not sure how to make RW work right now with Kass, Yamo, JP, Chase and Archie. Good problem to have though.

I really like Chase on the PP though. Knows his job and when the opposition defense plays the odds and gives him the open shot instead of Drai/McDavid/RNH - he buries it more often than not.

I'm a bigger fan of Neal on the PP. His PPP/60 and PP S%/60 support that he's the better choice there (though it is close).

And given that he's not going anywhere with that contract, as he ages, I'd rather him spend his ice time there where we can make best use of him.

For me, I see Chiasson pressuring Pulju, Kass, Ennis, for ice time in the middle six. I'd probably start my lineup like:

Kahun/RNH McD Kass
Kahun/RNH Drai Yama
Neal/Ennis Turris Chiasson/Pulju
Ennis/Neal Khaira Archie
Haas,

I've always liked Khaira better at C than W and he'd have two energy bunnies to force him to move his feet on that line. Plus he's the best of a weak bunch on the draw after Drai and Turris.

Our challenge is that both Khaira and Haas are objectively the worst guys on that roster and one of them will need to be in the lineup every night unless we move RNH back to center. If we did, the lineup takes on a whole other look and probably more balanced throughout at 5V5.

Ennis McD Kass
Kahun Drai Yama
Neal RNH Pulju
Chiasson Turris Archie
Haas, Khaira

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The one thing I dont get with the NHL culture is that a unknown player seems to need beeing a new Panarin or likewise rhe first games. Or else youre out. Even if you are a defensive player.

Are you drafted high, you are exceptbfrom this, no matter what.

Anf you could be a very good player, but doesnt fit a special role need in the team. Youre out. And reverse. You fit a need the first season uoure in. Like Chiasson. Svore some goals, not a good olayer. get millions.

dont get it

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The one thing I dont get with the NHL culture is that a unknown player seems to need beeing a new Panarin or likewise rhe first games. Or else youre out. Even if you are a defensive player.

Are you drafted high, you are exceptbfrom this, no matter what.

Anf you could be a very good player, but doesnt fit a special role need in the team. Youre out. And reverse. You fit a need the first season uoure in. Like Chiasson. Svore some goals, not a good olayer. get millions.

dont get it
Chiasson is a decent player but he's overpaid. I've come to the conclusion that on HFBoards being overpaid equals being a bad hockey player, and it's simply not true.

Having a track record can't be overlooked. Especially when you're comparing players in their late 20's from leagues other than the NHL.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Chiasson is a decent player but he's overpaid. I've come to the conclusion that on HFBoards being overpaid equals being a bad hockey player, and it's simply not true.

Having a track record can't be overlooked. Especially when you're comparing players in their late 20's from leagues other than the NHL.

But some players stick around just because they show some potential, they get they 200 games, and then no matter if youre a good player - youre in because experience - oh , the player has 200 games - hes a NHLer!

But other players seems never get a chance, even if they should. Tim Thomas was first out, went to europe and the ret is history, brian rafalski , and so on. And of C a lot of europeans. I feel Haas and Shipaschov is a tad victim of this

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
But some players stick around just because they show some potential, they get they 200 games, and then no matter if youre a good player - youre in because experience - oh , the player has 200 games - hes a NHLer!

But other players seems never get a chance, even if they should. Tim Thomas was first out, went to europe and the ret is history, brian rafalski , and so on. And of C a lot of europeans. I feel Haas and Shipaschov is a tad victim of this
I do agree that Haas wasn't given as much time as he should have had based on his competition. I hope he gets a bigger role this year and I hope Tipp puts some faith in him cause I think he showed last year that he's a gamer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad