Player Discussion The Future of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 2: Has His Recent Concussion Complicated Things More?

Has His Recent Concussion Changed Your Opinion on Re-Signing Him?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Bouch can fill Barries role in maybe 3 years, but there's certainly no way he can be a 1st pairing 20+ min dman in his rookie season.

I'm not sure if others are noticing but in his last few games Barrie has been brutal defensively.

Calling Barrie a 1st pairing 20 minutes a night defenseman is a bit over the top. Away from Nurse he struggles. Away from McDavid his production absolutely drops. Less PP time and...

Bouchard may well taken a few years to find his stride at the nhl level. No shame in that. And Barrie has been very good. But at the price point difference between the two. It's a no brainer to move on from Barrie and get Bouchard in the line up asap.

Nuge is a slightly different beast but forwards also mature faster. We could be replacing him with Holloway, McLeod, Benson, or a UFA even easier/faster.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
As much as I agree with the trade route, our trade acquisitions over the past few years have been... subpar.

To be fair they haven’t had much cap space or assets to make the trades. TDL trades are also sellers markets (even if it’s for picks).

I think one of the extra D prospects and a 1st gets you a great forward at the draft. In the past Holland would have had to send cap back (which ups the price significantly)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
To be fair they haven’t had much cap space or assets to make the trades. TDL trades are also sellers markets (even if it’s for picks).

I think one of the extra D prospects and a 1st gets you a great forward at the draft. In the past Holland would have had to send cap back (which ups the price significantly)
I think our first should absolutely be on the table, but if Holland is playing the long game (not to mention the lack of picks we have at this draft), I'm going to guess they aren't going to trade it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
tenor.gif

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I’ve never been in the “we have to keep RNH” camp, but thought maybe keeping him gives us one less hole to fill this off-season.

When I watch him play though, I’m constantly underwhelmed and I really don’t think the hole that would open up with him leaving is all that big. His contributions to this team are severely overvalued. If his natural position wasn’t C, nobody here would care if he was gone. He’d be forgotten faster than Eberle was.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
If we sign RNH for more than $4 million a year I’ll eat my hat.

just a total non factor of a player skirting by on a reputation that hasn’t been earned in years.
lol shhhhhh

don't bring that here buddy

He is worth 7 mill if your GM is one dumb f*** who got hit in the head

Paying him 5.5 is the same thing

He steps it up in the playoffs. Uses his strength, etc
He allows us to unite McDrai

NOT

But it's ok to pay him and give him a raise if you look at a spreadsheet and see the other guys coming up.

Who cares if he is a COMPLETE NON FACTOR

Can't lose THE NUGE

How do you replace USELESS?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nuge leaves ALOT to be desired. But he’s still a good player and the Oilers would be a better team if they could keep him at his actual value and keep adding. If he wants an overpay... we must walk. But if he’s willing to accept a pay range that sees him as an average top line winger, and a somewhat better than average 2C then you keep him all day long.

You guys really think we are ever filling the hole that Nuge would leave. Did you guys forget that NO ONE good wants to play in Edmonton? Did you guys forgot that the only talent injections we get are from no name euros and waiver fodder? Or should we just draft someone 5OA or better again and then that player can finally fill the hole.

Look at Eberles departure, we still haven’t found anyone to replace his production and Pulju is close but it took a tank year and 4OA pick to obtain that talent.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
"good player"

lmfao

what the f*** has he done good?

lose face offs, puck battles, his man in coverage, wiffing on shots, not handling passes, not passing to the right player

please tell me, how does he stand out when he's not stapled to mcdavid or rnh

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Here's the thing with Nuge...he was excellent last season but very underwhelming this season in his contract year, which can help us to sign him to a very cap friendly deal. If we let him walk, do you really expect Holland to go out and sign or trade for a player who can fill that hole at a similar cost? I certainly do not. If we had a GM who was competent enough to sign or trade for a decent forward to replace Nuge then by all means, but Holland doesn't appear to be that guy based on his body of work.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Here's the thing with Nuge...he was excellent last season but very underwhelming this season in his contract year, which can help us to sign him to a very cap friendly deal. If we let him walk, do you really expect Holland to go out and sign or trade for a player who can fill that hole at a similar cost? I certainly do not. If we had a GM who was competent enough to sign or trade for a decent forward to replace Nuge then by all means, but Holland doesn't appear to be that guy based on his body of work.
He won't take a lesser contract. Someone will give him what he wants. Look at how much Nashville has paid for their awful centres. Minnesota would be a prime candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->