The Future Of Connor Brown In Toronto

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Or maybe people overrated the guy based on the 20 goals in his first season? I don't even think his cap hit is bad at all. He is worth what he gets paid and would probably produce more in a bigger role, which isn't happening here.

its irrelevant, he has been surpassed and is a 4th line winger now. $2.1M on the 4th line especially for a winger is too much for us the bear now

Reactions: dsred

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
See ya. So useless

In comes Moore at 1/3 the price and is better

Teams better and cheaper

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Or maybe people overrated the guy based on the 20 goals in his first season? I don't even think his cap hit is bad at all. He is worth what he gets paid and would probably produce more in a bigger role, which isn't happening here.
Part of the issue for sure. He's too low on the depth chart for what he gets paid. Unfortunately there will be few so called "middle class" players on this team as soon as next year because apparently Dubas has a philosophy to give all of the money to the "stars". Therefore choices have to be made.

RLF

May 5, 2014
its irrelevant, he has been surpassed and is a 4th line winger now. $2.1M on the 4th line especially for a winger is too much for us the bear now

It's not irrelevant if other teams see him as fair value at $2.1 because they feel he can play farther up their lineup.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Part of the issue for sure. He's too low on the depth chart for what he gets paid. Unfortunately there will be few so called "middle class" players on this team as soon as next year because apparently Dubas has a philosophy to give all of the money to the "stars". Therefore choices have to be made.

For sure. He will have value to another team I think. Or to ours if a bigger contract is moved.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Need to use Brown, Z and Johnsson in a good hockey trade to get another solid low priced defensive defender preferably right handed. Brown and Johnsson are both CAP hits. Z is not good enough to be in top 4. Z is a 7 guy.

Reactions: Cobra777

standers

Dec 1, 2015
Yup. He is unfortunately likely gone.

On a team where he could have more opportunities to contribute he is probably a solid 20-20 or 15-15 type middle six winger.

VERY solid defensively.

RLF

May 5, 2014
They could squeeze Ferland in without Brown, since his rest of season cap hit is in the 6 figures, but Simmonds would have to include Brown
It would make sense, but it totally depends on the other teams ask. Brown is a reasonable thought to go, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Brown would be a good fit for the Oilers imo. His work ethic exceeds 80% of the team. Park him on either of the top 2 lines to help dig the puck out and would be good for at least 20 goals given the ice time.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd only trade Brown at the TDL in a hockey trade not a scratch tickets' trade. A team looking to compete for a Stanley Cup needs depth not a hoard of draft picks.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
yeah sure in the sense of "hey mike, player x is available I can get him does he suit your plans" not in the sense of "you cant trade brown" or "use a 2nd I want a 4C". He can of course ask, but in now way shape or form should management go out of their way spending futures unless they deem it a worthy deal

I’m glad to see you’ve come around. We all know dictatorships rarely work for anyone other than the dictator.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's not irrelevant if other teams see him as fair value at $2.1 because they feel he can play farther up their lineup.

oh for sure. I should of said he has been surpassed on the leafs. Someone will want him for sure

Reactions: RLF

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's funy. When he was up for contract many thought he was getting or should get $3M or $3M+ because Hyman got $2.25 and Brown was by far the better player. I remember the outrage he got less than Hyman.
Fast forward 1.5 years...Now, he is overpaid and some even say he sucks.

I wonder what would be said if he actually got the $3M many thought he deserved.

Fair to say Brown was the better player compared to Hyman in their rookie season, and as the younger player. Partially related to that though, two years of UFA were bought with Hyman's current contract compared to none for Brown.

Brown has done well in playing on his off wing at times this season, but he's probably a player they move on from if the (forward) moves made come from more of a depth perspective rather than a bigger hockey trade or a major contract evaluation difference with an RFA.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Be happy. Brown went from playing with Matthews/Kadri to Kadri/Bozak to Kadri/Gauthier. He hasn't become worse, the Leafs have become better.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Fair to say Brown was the better player compared to Hyman in their rookie season, and as the younger player. Partially related to that though, two years of UFA were bought with Hyman's current contract compared to none for Brown.

Brown has done well in playing on his off wing at times this season, but he's probably a player they move on from if the (forward) moves made come from more of a depth perspective rather than a bigger hockey trade or a major contract evaluation difference with an RFA.

The point was more to the typical quick love, quick hate for our players.

Reactions: Buds17

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It's unfortunate for Brown, but he's kind of a victim of his own rookie year. He got himself a contract that he can't live up to. And sadly in the cap era...that can earn you a ticket out of town.

I want to keep the home grown talent that grew up as fans of the team. But he's paid too much for what he brings. If you aren't in the core and you are overpaid...that's that. An unfortunate part of things. If he does stick around that will be a surprise.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The upside of the shrinking NHL middle class is that the pool of fourth line veteran talent looking for 1m~ deals each year is going to grow. Guys like Ennis are going to take cheap deals and are easily serviceable players at the bottom of the roster

Yep.

Will give Dubas the ability to go bargain bin shopping for guys like Ennis every year.

Guys like Brown will have a tough decision as to forgo pay raises (or take a pay cut), vs leave

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
think Brown can do Hyman's role with a little more offensive upside. Having said that, they're both too expensive for what they bring. I truly doubt they win board battles at an exponentially higher rate relative to their peers around the league, and for 2 mil a pop? They stink. Trevor Moore and Jeremy Bracco please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad