The Future Of Connor Brown In Toronto

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
When he debuted he was more productive (though his stats were likely inflated because of some of the opportunities he received) and just looked better as a player. He was kind of like Bozak in that he wasn't exactly dazzling but could make smart plays and had some of the fundamental skills you want a top nine player to have.

Now I basically don't notice him a lot of the time, he doesn't produce well enough for a guy who gets regular top nine minutes on a team that has rather good forward depth and he seems more like a vanilla fourth line player or a guy a team calls up from the AHL. Is he really needed going forward with the emerge of Kapanen and Johnsson? What does the future have in store for him in Toronto?

Reactions: TopCheese

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I like him on the PK and think he's a good 4th liner. But when the cap hell comes next year I'm thinking he'll be a cap casualty unless we can find a way to unload Marleau.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He's a no doubt NHL player, but don't fall in love with any of this ilk of player from here on in, we're going to see a revolving door of cap casualties in this tier. At least with he's not doing anything right now that we're going to miss when he's replaced

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
He's overpaid for his ever-diminishing role, he just isn't progressing. Seeing that 2+ mil on the 4th line blatantly stands out. A team struggling with scoring would take him in a change of scenery type trade.

He gone.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
he will be exposed in the expansion draft.

The Leafs shouldn't keep him around that long.

He just doesn't have the athleticism to warrant keeping. He doesn't really bring any outstanding attribute to the table.

You look at a guy like Hyman in comparison. He's always trying to bring more of a dimension. When he first broke in he was more of a tenacious forechecker, and lately, as the team has been asked by Babcock to play heavier, you see him getting meaner, more physical, even fighting like he did tonight.

Brown has just kind of stagnated into a semi energy player with very little production. It looks like his skating got marginally better but his hands were left behind.

Reactions: Cobra777

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs shouldn't keep him around that long.

He just doesn't have the athleticism to warrant keeping. He doesn't really bring any outstanding attribute to the table.

You look at a guy like Hyman in comparison. He's always trying to bring more of a dimension. When he first broke in he was more of a tenacious forechecker, and lately, as the team has been asked by Babcock to play heavier, you see him getting meaner, more physical, even fighting like he did tonight.

Brown has just kind of stagnated into a semi energy player with very little production. It looks like his skating got marginally better but his hands were left behind.
Brown and Hyman are very comparable. Just differing usage has fans adoring one and berating the other.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Brown and Hyman are very comparable. Just differing usage has fans adoring one and berating the other.

Hyman is way better than Brown. More consistent motor plus he's got decent hands.

I'm not a huge Hyman fan but he deserves a top 9 spot unlike Brown who is an easily repleacable NHLer. He kills penalties....not exactly a hard commodity to find.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I expect next years fourth line to be: Marchment-Goat-Moore/Engvall
Cheap and full of grit.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Hyman is way better than Brown. More consistent motor plus he's got decent hands.

I'm not a huge Hyman fan but he deserves a top 9 spot unlike Brown who is an easily repleacable NHLer. He kills penalties....not exactly a hard commodity to find.

Reactions: egd27

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

We're all numb to Hyman at this point. I think everyone has long reached the acceptance stage sometime last season.

As for Brown, he'll be traded in the offseason likely. I think we could get a 2nd with a small plus.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Seems like Babcock really likes and trusts him so I doubt he is traded.

Babcock shouldn’t get a say, he is a coach so he can coach the players he is given. Especially when you factor in he is the highest paid coach. Dubas should do what we he has to do and babs should shut his mouth and coach

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Hyman is way better than brown. Points aren’t everything with these kinds of players. Brown is very overrated defensively where as hyman is very good defensively. Hyman works harder and 100% of the time, brown works hard but there are a few shifts off here and there.

If forced to pick Hyman is the very easy choice

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Babcock shouldn’t get a say, he is a coach so he can coach the players he is given. Especially when you factor in he is the highest paid coach. Dubas should do what we he has to do and babs should shut his mouth and coach
I agree but I doubt Babcock feels that way. He probably is a huge pain in the ass when he doesn’t get his way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->