The Future is Promising

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
8 teams you said have done but bruins went like 12 yrs before they struck again with pastranak so I don’t know if it’s all great scouting as it also includes luck

Trust me I’m pissed off the wings are **** , I just want to see them be More bold and go for the homerun picks rather than being safe and I’ll be glad

Like rather see us taking a chance on a puistola in the second round than a sure thing nhler who will be a good two way bottom line guy

Anyways I get what your saying and I’d like to see our drafting luck change , it’s about time
Any reason why you picked Puistola?

If the Wings don't get Byram in the first round, I think they've gotta pick 2 defensemen in the second. For the third pick, I want them to pick the fastest skater available. I don't care if that guys turns into a Larkin, AA, or Helm. In today's league even the PKers need to be fast.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Any reason why you picked Puistola?

If the Wings don't get Byram in the first round, I think they've gotta pick 2 defensemen in the second. For the third pick, I want them to pick the fastest skater available. I don't care if that guys turns into a Larkin, AA, or Helm. In today's league even the PKers need to be fast.

Good offensive player,great shot. He was just an example as there’s others I like

I’m just tired of drafting safe players I think we should just go for it and if we nail it we nail it , if not 3rd line guys are readily available , I agree we need to add d’s I’m looking at everything and not discounting taking a forward or 2 depending who we take first pick but we also have an early 3rd which is like a late second

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Good offensive player,great shot. He was just an example as there’s others I like

I’m just tired of drafting safe players I think we should just go for it and if we nail it we nail it , if not 3rd line guys are readily available , I agree we need to add d’s I’m looking at everything and not discounting taking a forward or 2 depending who we take first pick but we also have an early 3rd which is like a late second

Yeah I definitely would prefer someone like him instead of picking a G. Smith type player. I didn't see anything special in that video that makes Puistola really stick out that much, he's ranked 30ish for Euro skaters.

I'd really like to see the Wings pick someone super fast just because. Anything past the second round is a crap shoot anyways.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Also it doesn't matter whether a team is a contender or not when talking about later draft picks, since every team has a crack at those players...
That’s gonna be a disagree from me. Drafting early in each round means, on average, a crack at better players each round. Rebuilding as opposed to contending also typically means more cracks at the better players(more picks).
Not surprisingly many of the guys you mention (Weber, Josi, Green etc) were drafted by teams that had multiple picks in the 1st/2nd rounds. Extra picks are hugely helpful in landing talent (see: Hronek, Bertuzzi, Veleno).

As a sidenote I think you’re playing loose with the definition of elite, especially if you want to go back to 2000 and not include Kronwall.

Agree our drafting overall from 2001-2012 was mediocre at best. But given draft position and number of picks it was to be expected and landing ANY elite player in that timeframe would have been kind of insane. I don’t expect Tampa to draft the next Hedman in the 2019 draft, I don’t see much elite talent drafted during Pittsburgh’s playoff streak, Chicago couldn’t add elite talent via the draft as a playoff team to stay on top.. it’s simply not realistic to do or to expect. Boston managed to add Pstrnak which was brilliant drafting. They’re so good at drafting they passed on Barzal 3 times the following year.
Luck is a huuuuge part of drafting well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad